Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
preston

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby preston » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:44 am

s_c_baker wrote:Well, I managed finalist again for the String of Ten contest run by Flash Fiction Chronicles. (Same as last year.)

Maybe third time's a charm and I'll break through to the top three next year?

Wow! I hope you win!

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:56 pm

Ishmael wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:Well, I managed finalist again for the String of Ten contest run by Flash Fiction Chronicles. (Same as last year.)

Maybe third time's a charm and I'll break through to the top three next year?

Inevitably. Unless they require three try / fail cycles, that is. wotf016

Well done! wotf010

*collapses in laughter*

Ahem. Congrats, Stewart :)
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:26 pm

Unfortunately finalist is the end of the road--they've already announced the top three.

And try/fail cycles?! It's only 250 words. Ain't noboy got time for that. wotf001
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:11 am

s_c_baker wrote:And try/fail cycles?! It's only 250 words. Ain't noboy got time for that. wotf001

Now he tel me. Here me thinkin it down to my poor skulin. wotf007
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:29 am

Based on the crumpled sheets of paper all around me, I can fit way more than 3 try fail cycles into 250 words.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM R HM HM

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:09 pm

I forget who, but someone here pointed me in the direction of the James White Award.

I didn't make the shortlist, but I was on the longlist, so that's something, anyway. Thanks!
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:39 pm

s_c_baker wrote:I forget who, but someone here pointed me in the direction of the James White Award.

I didn't make the shortlist, but I was on the longlist, so that's something, anyway. Thanks!

That's neat!

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:59 pm

s_c_baker wrote:I didn't make the shortlist, but I was on the longlist, so that's something, anyway.

Et tu Stewart? Me too. Out of 255 entries. Not sure whether to be pleased or vexed. This story has now garnered two personals and a long list and I still haven't got it published!

Now I'm wondering whether it would still make sense to punt it to Interzone, who were amongst the sponsors of the competition, or whether I should consider that they have effectively had sight of it already.

preston

Postby preston » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:21 pm

Yeah, I was on that very same long list. Alas, I've been on that list before.

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:09 am

s_c_baker wrote:I forget who, but someone here pointed me in the direction of the James White Award.

I checked that out yesterday, I would like to enter that contest however I do not know if I have it in me to write something 6,000 words or less and make it a gripping enough story. Of course if one does not try one will never know - correct? I thank you for mentioning the James White Award I may give it a shot this coming year.
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:06 am

What's all this?!? Stewart and Ishmael and Preston on the JWA longlist? Well, I'm on it too. We should have a Brit/half-Brit/honorary Brit celebratory cup of tea together. wotf005
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:02 am

So at least 4 out of the 28 JWA "semi-finalists" are fellow forumites? That's great, congrats to you all! wotf008
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:16 am

Hm. Maybe we should produce our own Also Ran Anthology? wotf002

Now what should we call it? White Out? It'll be All White On The Night? White Waiter Wafting?
Long Day's Journey into White? wotf012

How about The White Company (Reserves)?

wotf016

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:15 am

Ishmael wrote:Hm. Maybe we should produce our own Also Ran Anthology? wotf002

Yes. And I'm beginning to feel like I own this thread. wotf012

Davian Aw

Postby Davian Aw » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:51 pm

argh another rejection for this one story that's already gone through 15 rejections from pro markets. Half of those were personals, and it was held for further consideration three times before they changed their mind. So I know it has to be good, and that makes the constant rejections all the more frustrating. wotf027

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:52 am

Davian Aw wrote:argh another rejection for this one story that's already gone through 15 rejections from pro markets. Half of those were personals, and it was held for further consideration three times before they changed their mind. So I know it has to be good, and that makes the constant rejections all the more frustrating. wotf027

It sounds less like "they changed their mind" and more like it maybe just wasn't a good fit for any number of other reasons. Props to you for having sent it out so many times, though. Go little story, go!

This kind of near miss is definitely more frustrating than the standard forms, though. (With which I have plenty of experience!)

Davian Aw

Postby Davian Aw » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:31 pm

heh, thanks! Yeah... one said that in the end it just didn't fit in with the other stories they were publishing, even though she otherwise liked it a lot and held it for about a year. On the bright side, I revise every story after a rejection, and after 15+ revisions it's a much stronger piece now than when it first came together 8 years ago.

I might try Analog again. It's a different editor, and I first sent this story to them in 2008 when it was about twice the length and had a pretty different plot.

tilting@windmills

Postby tilting@windmills » Mon May 04, 2015 8:17 am

Here is a sad tale of woe. wotf012

Last June I sent 15 pages of a novel I wrote to Clean Teen Publishing. It is one of the few places where you don't need an agent. I sent the pages over to help toughen up to rejection (realizing that it is part of a writer's rite of passage).

I got a reply a few days later from Dyan Brown, Chief Administrative Officer (I don't think she is there anymore) to send the rest of the novel, because the story piqued her interest.

Problem: The novel was done, but over half was still handwritten not digital. I thought I had plenty of time to get it into digital form, because it would be months before hearing back - if I were very, very lucky.

I blew it: I tried to transcribe and edit the rest too quickly (10 days); I made promises in the beginning and failed to deliver; some of my characters devolved rather than evolved which is fine if I did so intentionally; and my Wow moments were lackluster.

Definitely mixed feelings here, but am overcoming them and moving on.

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Mon May 04, 2015 9:41 am

tilting@windmills wrote:
It is one of the few places where you don't need an agent.

You don't really need an agent for submissions. Even when the publishers say they do, they'll still take your submission if you send it to the right person. Back when I was submitting to trad publishers, I received many a personal response from the editors (which meant they had read the submission).
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun May 10, 2015 2:40 am

I had a story make the final short list of four for the last available place in a new anthology. Then it didn't get selected.

wotf017

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Sun May 10, 2015 5:12 am

My concern with sending in my work is the phrase, "First North American and foreign serial rights and an option on anthology rights. All other rights are retained by the author." I understand this allows the publisher to publish the work one time and I cannot offer it to anyone else during the publication. Would somebody please explain to this noob exactly what 'option on anthology rights' means?
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sun May 10, 2015 8:23 am

Brydar wrote:My concern with sending in my work is the phrase, "First North American and foreign serial rights and an option on anthology rights. All other rights are retained by the author." I understand this allows the publisher to publish the work one time and I cannot offer it to anyone else during the publication. Would somebody please explain to this noob exactly what 'option on anthology rights' means?

Many publishers put out a "Best of" anthology from time to time, so they are buying the right to republish the story in one of their anthologies. They usually also stipulate that they will pay x per word additional if they do so.

AliceBrook

Postby AliceBrook » Tue May 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Wellp - I received one major compliment from Sizemore, but still rejected. I swear, when I read that email, I forgot all language and felt my heart beat the ribs outta me.

I don't know where to send this story, it's tone is..odd. Maybe Finlay? But from what I've read, I'm not sure it would fit in there. If F&SF rejects it, I'm just gonna give Tor a go (it feels like this story got a seal of approval somehow and I beam every time I think about it).

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:08 pm

AliceBrook wrote:Wellp - I received one major compliment from Sizemore, but still rejected. I swear, when I read that email, I forgot all language and felt my heart beat the ribs outta me.

I don't know where to send this story, it's tone is..odd. Maybe Finlay? But from what I've read, I'm not sure it would fit in there. If F&SF rejects it, I'm just gonna give Tor a go (it feels like this story got a seal of approval somehow and I beam every time I think about it).

Send it in anyway. Dean Wesley Smith has stated that you never know when a story will grab the attention of an editor even when it isn't quite what they are looking for. Of course this wouldn't work with sending a SF tale to a Fantasy market or the other way around, but if it is even sort of close send it. His wife has mentioned she has had to buy types of stories she never thought she would because if how they were written.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

AliceBrook

Postby AliceBrook » Wed May 27, 2015 9:36 am

Yeah, it's in their slush now wotf008

Davian Aw

Postby Davian Aw » Fri May 29, 2015 9:44 pm

I just got the most amazing 28 day personal rejection from Cory Skerry at Tor.com for my latest submission. Among other things, it ended with: "Please send us more of your stories in the future. I would consider it a personal favor if you addressed your next cover letter to me so my co-workers will let me be the first to read it."

I don't even have mixed feelings. I'm just emotionally compromised in a good way. :')

It totally makes up for the time when Tor kept my story for almost a year and then gave me a form rejection.

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Fri May 29, 2015 9:57 pm

Davian Aw wrote:I just got the most amazing 28 day personal rejection from Cory Skerry at Tor.com for my latest submission. Among other things, it ended with: "Please send us more of your stories in the future. I would consider it a personal favor if you addressed your next cover letter to me so my co-workers will let me be the first to read it."

I don't even have mixed feelings. I'm just emotionally compromised in a good way. :')

It totally makes up for the time when Tor kept my story for almost a year and then gave me a form rejection.

That's a fabulous result short of sale.

Clap Clap Clap
wotf010
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat May 30, 2015 1:28 am

Davian Aw wrote:I just got the most amazing 28 day personal rejection from Cory Skerry at Tor.com for my latest submission. Among other things, it ended with: "Please send us more of your stories in the future. I would consider it a personal favor if you addressed your next cover letter to me so my co-workers will let me be the first to read it."

And that is such a tough market! Bravo! wotf010

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sat May 30, 2015 5:09 am

wotf010 That's definitely what I call an almost success. Great stuff! wotf006

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat May 30, 2015 9:29 am

28 days! That's light speed for them. Or do they have a separate queue for flash fiction that is faster than the normal 120 + days?
Congrats on an awesome personal wotf007

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”