Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
morganb

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby morganb » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:15 pm

michaeljwyantjr wrote:
morganb wrote:Dang! So close!
I had a story that was being held for consideration by a semi-pro magazine. I sent them a follow-up after their deadline had passed for getting back to me. The editor told me it's a strong story; they just can't use it at this time. But . . . he also said if the story hasn't sold by September, to please let him know if it's still available for consideration in their Fall issue. Never been so excited about a rejection before!

~Morgan

So... did you let him know (or sell it already)?

I did, in fact, resend it to him just last week. No promises, of course, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Drop me a line at https://morganbroadhead.com

HM x 1
R x 4

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:42 am

I got my second personal rejection from F&SF this morning. It's nice that I'm getting closer, but as I near 50 rejections for 2018 (I know, still a n00b) the hamster wheel is starting to feel more like a treadmill every day. So close, but close don't cut it. wotf017 Onwards!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:49 pm

RSchibler wrote:I got my second personal rejection from F&SF this morning. It's nice that I'm getting closer, but as I near 50 rejections for 2018 (I know, still a n00b) the hamster wheel is starting to feel more like a treadmill every day. So close, but close don't cut it. wotf017 Onwards!

Not bad and I know that feeling which might be why I have so much trouble remembering to send out stories again.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:46 pm

I had my first personal rejection from a pro market this week (I posted about being 3rd in the queue for ages a couple of weeks ago). They'll reconsider if I make changes! Now I just need to figure out those changes...
R, R (FP), ?

VinSev

Postby VinSev » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:14 pm

So I got a personal rejection letter today, from C.C. Finlay of F&SF, and he was kind enough to explain what hadn't worked for him about my story. He also said that my writing was very good, and to keep submitting to F&SF. You can imagine how pleased I was to hear that, and I'm excited because now I have something to work with in terms of revisions.

This was my second time submitting to a pro journal, so I'm really happy that this happened. What I'm wondering is if this is the kind of message one should reply to. I know that if you get a form rejection you shouldn't, but since this was from the editor personally I was thinking I should, if just to say thank you.

Would anyone with a bit more experience than me care to weigh in?
Last edited by VinSev on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The adverb is not your friend."
-Stephen King

HM: 1

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:29 pm

VinSev wrote:So I got a personal rejection letter today, from C.C. Finlay of F&SF, and he was kind enough to explain what hadn't worked for him about my story. He also said that my writing was very good, and to keep submitting to F&SF. You can imagine how pleased I was to hear that, and I'm excited because now I have something to work with in terms of revisions.

This was my second time submitting to a pro journal, so I'm really happy that this happened. What I'm wondering is if this is the kind of message one should reply to. I know that if you a form rejection you shouldn't, but since this was from the editor personally I was thinking I should, if just to say thank you.

Finlay is awesome. I don’t know if it’s kosher, but I always send a thank you for personal rejections. Just seems like the right thing to do when an editor takes time to send feedback.
WotF Results:
  • R:2
  • HM:6
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • Last: HM, Q3 v35
  • Pending, Q4 v35

Sataris

Postby Sataris » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:10 pm

VinSev wrote:So I got a personal rejection letter today, from C.C. Finlay of F&SF, and he was kind enough to explain what hadn't worked for him about my story. He also said that my writing was very good, and to keep submitting to F&SF. You can imagine how pleased I was to hear that, and I'm excited because now I have something to work with in terms of revisions.

This was my second time submitting to a pro journal, so I'm really happy that this happened. What I'm wondering is if this is the kind of message one should reply to. I know that if you get a form rejection you shouldn't, but since this was from the editor personally I was thinking I should, if just to say thank you.

Congrats!

I wouldn't respond, personally, though I can't imagine he'd fault you for it. He's stated in the past that he sees cover letters as a way to keep in touch with writers, and that he loves hearing that the feedback that he and the readers give is helping people out, so if you want to thank him, maybe jot a quick note at the end of your next cover letter? he's also really active/friendly on Twitter
2017: Q4: SHM - The Tin Man, Syntax and Salt
2018: Q1: 1st Place

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”