Mike Resnick on Paying It Forward

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
FictionMuse

Mike Resnick on Paying It Forward

Postby FictionMuse » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:31 am

FictionMuse

Re: Mike Resnick on Paying It Forward

Postby FictionMuse » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:03 am

I have been a recipient of Mike Resnick's pay it forward policy. Rough count, 20% of my interviews are the result of networking Mike set in motion. And surely it is no coincidence that almost all of the interviews that trace back to Mike are among my best - Mike hangs out with some really high caliber people who pour quality into everything they do, including interviews. Mike himself has done 4 or 5 interviews. Probably the most insightful is the one on "no heavy lifting" sales. Fast forward, probably my best interview, a writing advice piece with Michael Swanwick about a slew of topics, was translated and published in the March edition of Science Fiction World, China's #1 science fiction magazine.

FictionMuse

Postby FictionMuse » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:11 am

The interview with Michael Swanwick isn't the first time I've been published internationally and not the first time I've been published in China. And essay on Chinese culture in Beijing Review and an essay on Korean culture in The Korea Times. Still striving for that first fiction sale. Positive vibes from editors, but no checks.

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:17 am

FictionMuse wrote:The interview with Michael Swanwick isn't the first time I've been published internationally and not the first time I've been published in China. And essay on Chinese culture in Beijing Review and an essay on Korean culture in The Korea Times. Still striving for that first fiction sale. Positive vibes from editors, but no checks.

Have you tried SFComet? They run a pretty nice contest.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”