Hugo Award Nominees

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
orbivillein

Re: Hugo Award Nominees

Postby orbivillein » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:00 pm

A Mulligan is a duffer's do-over when a stroke was poorly executed. A Mulligan is any stroke done over with no penalty or stroke counted. A gimme is a conceded short putt or a too-easy, effortless win. The Gimme Slate!

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:09 am

Annie has expressed so eloquently why most of us, I believe, write. So did Sir Henry Newboult in Vitaï Lampada

And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his Captain's hand on his shoulder smote
"Play up! play up! and play the game!"

These are old fashioned values perhaps in an age that has lost much of its community spirit. Some people will sneer at them. I dare say we should all like recognition too; I know I would. Since I am a normal fallible human being I know I should be hypocritical to say otherwise.

I should prefer to be remembered for playing the game. Sadly, these days, those who do are mostly fated not to be remembered at all. So be it. (And this is much easier to say for someone who is not too likely to be remembered anyway, as I hasten to acknowledge.)

This they all with a joyful mind
Bear through life like a torch in flame,
And falling fling to the host behind --
"Play up! play up! and play the game!"
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 10 x HM, WotF batting average .565
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:28 am

Ishmael wrote:Annie has expressed so eloquently why most of us, I believe, write.

Bravo to Annie.

I think this is what upsets me the most about the whole affair. To be nominated for a Hugo should be a joyous occasion, not a soul sucking slog through a political quagmire. Good people who write for the right reasons are being hurt by this and for that reason alone, regardless of their intentions or ideals, the Puppies should be ashamed.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:15 am

Ishmael wrote:Annie has expressed so eloquently why most of us, I believe, write.

amoskalik wrote:Bravo to Annie.

It's sad to see someone experience something like that.

Does this mean the Hugo Award will be less coveted by authors? wotf017
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:26 am

Does this mean the Hugo Award will be less coveted by authors?

There certainly seem likely to be short-term consequences at the least...

I suspect in the long term it will more or less equalize.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:35 am

To be honest I would love to hear about thousands upon thousands of people who have read my story or book and loved it without garnering a single trophy or award for said same story. I would be very happy winning a contest, especially this one, but I think many authors greatest joy is hearing that many people love their work. Also being honest I would like to earn money for my creative writings, as I am sure many authors do. Also, to be honest I would not want to become so famous that I could not step out of my home and be able to go to a movie or store without being swamped by people wanting an autograph. I am sure many famous authors go through this; JK Rowling, Stephen King, etc... I honestly would not want to be that famous. Probably would enjoy being that wealthy, but not that famous. wotf007 Hey, you get blunt honesty from me - sorry.
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

orbivillein

Postby orbivillein » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:28 pm

Any respectable award for a writer is an automatic read by a publisher and a high likelihood of publication sale and a career maker. Beyond personal distinction, beyond the prize package, beyond the public acclaim, that's the enduring value of awards like the Hugo. I believe that's the real motive behind the electioneering politics. Individuals colluded to put together a self-promotion stump veiled by turn-taking so that each promotes others and not the selves overtly per cycle.

When the dust settles, will the Hugos still be respectable? Probably, though tainted for a time. Will slate candidate nominees and winners still be respectable? Probably less so for promoters stirring up a narrowly construed political firestorm and name calling. Respectable nominees and winners may still be tainted some, like get an asterisk and a footnote behind their award, though no enduring tarnish.

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”