Sockdolager Inaugural Podcast

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
Ishmael

Sockdolager Inaugural Podcast

Postby Ishmael » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:28 am

The Editors of The Sockdolager, Alison Wilgus and Paul Tuttle Starr, have produced a podcast discussing, inter alia, what they think of the stories in their first two editions and their criteria for selection.

It may be of interest to those thinking of submitting to them.

It may also be of interest to hear what they really think about the two forumites who made it into their first edition, one of whom (not your current correspondent) seems to have the honour of being literally the first author to have a story selected for this magazine.

http://www.sockdolager.net/blog/2015/7/20/sockdolager-podcast-episode-1-catchup-readercon-and-a-couple-of-great-books
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

s_c_baker

Re: Sockdolager Inaugural Podcast

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:56 pm

Ooh, they're talking about those of us who have been published there? I'd better listen, then... Normally I avoid podcasts because I have to spend the entire time listening or I miss stuff. Much prefer to read the transcript.

And this is over an hour long... At what point roughly do they talk about us? wotf007
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:55 pm

Well I'm around 22 minutes and I think I'm penultimate. You're before me. If I remember rightly they start with Rhiannon. Somewhere in the 8-20 minute section would be my guess.

They're really quite open about their thoughts. It is nice to know that Alison's thinking was quite similar to mine. In her initial email she put her finger right on the component that my story was missing and when she did so it was clear as day to me what needed to be done. If the object of this whole exercise is to produce our very best work, I'm extremely glad I was asked for a revision rather than had the story accepted right off.

Congratulations however on being number one. Now we just have to hope the magazine becomes the new Analog. (But takes less reading time and still buys our stuff!) Then we can bask in the glory of being in the first edition.
wotf007
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Good guess! I found myself around 17:00 in.

"I would be hard pressed to say why, because it's doing kind of the opposite of everything I said that I wanted..."

Yyyep. wotf019 I was very pleased that they bought it. Neat to know I was their first purchase for the magazine! (Although I think they did several anthologies as well.)

Hearing their process is fascinating. Thanks for the heads-up. :)
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”