Rebuffed by Hollywood

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
FictionMuse

Rebuffed by Hollywood

Postby FictionMuse » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:08 pm

I made the rounds with the talent agencies. Specifically the TV lit agents. Because television is where the storytelling and the money are at the moment. I got a universal answer: "You can't just tell us you're looking for an agent. Someone has to introduce you to us." They weren't outright rude to me, but they short with me. It was like, "Unless we already know you, we're not even supposed to be talking to you anyway." I wouldn't go so far as to say I had several doors SLAMMED in my face, but I definitely had several doors FIRMLY CLOSED in my face. In contrast to print, which has a decidedly welcoming and receptive disposition, obviously screen is a handshake culture - you have to be ushered into it.

FictionMuse

Re: Rebuffed by Hollywood

Postby FictionMuse » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:15 pm

Those television programming executives who reportedly sit in pitch rooms all day listening to writers spin their stories. I'm assuming they are more receptive to unsolicited contact than talent agents. Who these guys are, how to contact them, where these pitch rooms are located, where they advertise for treatments. That information is not readily available.

Muri McCage

Re: Rebuffed by Hollywood

Postby Muri McCage » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:46 pm

I hear you. I've been entering well regarded screenwriting competitions with feature length scripts for quite some time, originally because it's supposed to be a rare way in and over time also because it's fun (and addictive!). I started racking up Finalists, Semis, QFs, top percentages...and then a couple of years ago started going backwards. I just last week had a SF script that's done well multiple times get nowhere at all in a competition.

I've been reevaluating my game plan, and would like to use what I've accomplished in queries to make another run at marketing my screenplays myself. I tried years ago and learned the hard truth that queries mostly never get a response. I encountered a few class act production companies, but the rest was crickets. And this was when you could find contact info.

I've been researching the current situation and it's not pretty. Prodcos, agents, and managers have all but disappeared from the public eye, and inadequate resources are now ensconced behind pricey paywalls. I'm planning to keep digging and try what little I find with my new and improved bio to see if that's going to make any difference.

Supposedly there are people who can move mountains out there, waiting for the next big thing to fall into their laps. Most of us forced into trying to move the mountains ourselves don't have the money to scale the current contact info paywalls or the established contacts to go around them.

It's always been a Catch-22...you can't get in without success to back you up and you can't get success without getting in to get success... you see where this is going.

Sometimes I really wish I didn't love writing screenplays so much.
Mom in the Moon, Analog October 2016
Dare to dream, now and tomorrow....
Blog: Dreams of the Purple Koala
http://murimccage.wordpress.com/
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/MuriMcCage

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”