Crossed Genres

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
Ishmael

Crossed Genres

Postby Ishmael » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:54 am

Sad to report the closure of Crossed Genres after the December edition has been announced.
wotf014
http://crossedgenres.com/announcements/crossed-genres-magazine-to-close-after-december-issue/

I never actually sold them anything, but they often had me on tenterhooks with submissions that ran 90+ days.

Also, like the late lamented Penumbra, their monthly prompts sometimes acted as spurs to creativity.

So thanks to the co-publishers, Bart Leib and Kay Holt for providing a great market for so long and best wishes to Kay for her recovery.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

s_c_baker

Re: Crossed Genres

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Alas and alack!

I never made it into their pages either, and barely submitted (I suck at themes), but I liked what they put out.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:26 pm

I'm very sorry to hear that. I like the themed places.

Especially since I'd just submitted to a later one :P

On that note, what does that go on to the Grinder as? Returned? Never Responded?
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:26 am

Curses! I liked the way they went about things.

I once found myself with the perfect story for one of their themes--an android story with a gay protagonist--and had to decide between submitting to them or entering it here. It was the best story I'd written to that point, and I really, really wanted to win the contest, but CG's theme submission window would be closed by the time said story would get rejected from WoTFC, if rejected it would be. So: best chance yet of winning the contest, or decent chance of publication in CG, especially as I was unpublished so had a chance of filling their monthly newbie slot?

In the end, it was the first of my HMs here, but I always wanted to make it up to CG (in a manner of speaking) by submitting something good there. I'll never get that chance now.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:48 am

Tamlyn wrote:I'm very sorry to hear that. I like the themed places.

Especially since I'd just submitted to a later one :P

On that note, what does that go on to the Grinder as? Returned? Never Responded?

I was wondering the same. It's always possible they will still respond. They might even multi-theme December if the alternative is to reject good stories. Or I might be whistling in the wind. I suppose I could just ask them, though I'm hesitant to do that.

I guess a no-response is most likely. I've known that happen elsewhere.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:18 am

MattDovey wrote:Curses! I liked the way they went about things.

I once found myself with the perfect story for one of their themes--an android story with a gay protagonist--and had to decide between submitting to them or entering it here. It was the best story I'd written to that point, and I really, really wanted to win the contest, but CG's theme submission window would be closed by the time said story would get rejected from WoTFC, if rejected it would be. So: best chance yet of winning the contest, or decent chance of publication in CG, especially as I was unpublished so had a chance of filling their monthly newbie slot?

In the end, it was the first of my HMs here, but I always wanted to make it up to CG (in a manner of speaking) by submitting something good there. I'll never get that chance now.

I have a similar tale with a different outcome. I also wrote the perfect story for one of their themes (or at least I supposed so), but I did sent it to them first. They form-rejected it, and later (after Critters and big-time revision) I sent it to WOTF and it came to be my semi-finalist. Then I sent it again to Crossed Genres for another theme (which it fit even better) and it was form-rejected again.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Athena

Postby Athena » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:53 pm

I saw this yesterday and was very sad. It sounds like their editor is really having a tough time, which I am sorry to hear. I can't imagine how difficult the decision was. I was really looking forward to submitting to them, so on a personal level, I'm sad, too.
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”