2016 Campbell Award

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
george nik.

2016 Campbell Award

Postby george nik. » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:55 am

So it happens that I'm officially eligible for the 2016 Campbell Award. wotf008

Not that I have any aspirations to win, of course, the reason being obvious to anyone reading the list of other eligible writers, but just being eligible was one of my goals for this year, so yay!

Anyway, there's another opportunity to win next year. Maybe by then I'll be much published and famous enough to have a chance! wotf002

Still, if anyone should feel the whim to nominate me, I'll be honored wotf006

I'd also like to use this thread to promote the other forumite candidates. As far I can see, there's Dantzel, Holly, and Jeremy Szal. I'm sure there must be others, though. So if you are eligible, or think you may be eligible, just tell! That's also for people who post on the forum under pseudonyms so we may see their name on the list and not recognize them. wotf005
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 42 stories sold, 28 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

s_c_baker

Re: 2016 Campbell Award

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:57 am

Hey, this is a great idea! I was never on the ball like this when I was eligible.

Writertopia maintains a list of currently eligible authors: http://www.writertopia.com/awards/campbell

If you're eligible and not on the list, I recommend e-mailing them and getting added to it!

And gosh, that's a lot of familiar names. I think I know about 1/3 the people listed there, if not slightly more.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:53 am

I did not know about this award. As near as I can tell, I will be eligible next year for my Nature story published this year. Or am I misinterpreting?
The list seem quite short. Can that be right? Those are the only people to publish their first pro story in the last two years?
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:00 am

I'm not sure whether they count 200 word flash fiction such as AE Micro. I assume not. Certainly I haven't seen my name on any eligibility lists, despite the fact that I was technically eligible last year for 'Spatchcock' published in 2014 (http://aescifi.ca/index.php/fiction/35- ... spatchcock).

If they do count Micro of course I am beyond nomination without ever having been listed as eligible. Ah, there's the rub!
wotf012
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 10 x HM, WotF batting average .565
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

LawrenceVanHoof

Postby LawrenceVanHoof » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks for pointing it out, George. I have to double check, but I think my apocalypse story from 2014 would count. So I might as well get in for my second year, even if it’s a long shot.
Oops, where did that idea go? I had it a minute ago....

http://www.lawrencevanhoof.com

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:01 pm

george nik. wrote:So it happens that I'm officially eligible for the 2016 Campbell Award. wotf008

I have heard of it-some writers use it as a bragging point for books-but at the moment can't recall knowing the particulars of it.

Of course I don't have to be concerned about being eligible: which likely won't happen soon.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:05 pm

OK folks, here's some clarifications:

The list is indeed very short and it's not by any means exhaustive. I think they check the top pro magazines to compile it, but they definitely can't check every market there is -- especially since the story needn't even be in English, publications all over the world count. I was added to the list only because I informed them of my SFComet story, otherwise they would probably never find out. I see Lawrence also notified them, because he was added to the list too.

So, Philip, you should probably tell them about your story. Even though winning is an extremely long shot, it's nice to be included in the list. More people becoming aware that we exist, at least.

I don't think that micro counts, unless it's extremely well paid. And not only pro sales count. You can see the exact details in the Writertopia page, but it basically goes down to two rules:

a) you must be paid for the story at least 3 cents/word (so even some semi-pro sales count)
b) you must be paid for the story at least 50 $ (so an 800-word story paid at minimum pro rates would just not count)

By the way, the thing I envied the past Campbell candidates most for, was the magnificent Campbellian Anthology, where were published stories by all candidates. I own both the 2013 and the 2014 anthologies, which include some very well known names -- as well as some very well respected forumites. Sadly the 2015 antho never materialized, and there's not a 2016 one in view either.
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:56 pm

George,

Thank you so much for posting this. If you hadn't, I would've have completely missed it.

My first professional sale, "Boomer Hunter" appeared in the October Issue of Grimdark Magazine.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:30 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes to get posted on the writertopia site?

Thanks!
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

liz

Postby liz » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:49 pm

Some exciting stuff going on here!

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:57 am

hazlett wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes to get posted on the writertopia site?

Thanks!

Sean,

I initially sent them a message through the form on the page and for a few days nothing happened. Then I emailed the moderator, David Walton (his email's on the page also) and he responded immediately to tell me I was indeed eligible. So I emailed him again to ask him if he would put me on the list or I should contact someone else, and he replied that he already asked Bill Katz to include me. So the next day I was in.

Hope this helps.
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

rharp

Postby rharp » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:23 am

Congrats, George! That's awesome to be on such a great list. Good luck! wotf010
http://www.rachelleharp.com

F: Q2 V32
Silver HM: Q3, Q4 V32
HM: Q1, Q2, Q3 V 33

LawrenceVanHoof

Postby LawrenceVanHoof » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 am

I think I was added within 12 hours. First I emailed David Walton to double-check my eligibility. After he replied, I filled out the form since he didn't actually say I would be added to the list. He just confirmed my eligibility. So filling out the form may have been unnecessary in my case. I don't actually know.
Oops, where did that idea go? I had it a minute ago....

http://www.lawrencevanhoof.com

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:33 am

George it is very good of you to prod my indolent footsteps forward in this way. If the micro doesn't count then I'm in my second year of eligibility with three more qualifying stories in 2015, in TGDSB, Sockdolager and Flame Tree respectively.

I have emailed Mr Walton to check if this understanding is correct. As you say, though getting nominated may be a bit of a long shot, it certainly can't hurt if people actually know you're eligible.

wotf007

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:14 am

Ishmael wrote:George it is very good of you to prod my indolent footsteps forward in this way. If the micro doesn't count then I'm in my second year of eligibility with three more qualifying stories in 2015, in TGDSB, Sockdolager and Flame Tree respectively.

I have emailed Mr Walton to check if this understanding is correct. As you say, though getting nominated may be a bit of a long shot, it certainly can't hurt if people actually know you're eligible.

wotf007

2015 stories would qualify you for 2016 and 2017 if I understand it correctly, so you should be in your first year.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:57 pm

No, sadly I seem to have missed my first year. Spatchcock was published in 2014. I remember looking at the list of those eligible last year and wondering why I wasn't on it. It didn't actually occur to me that I had to put myself on it, so that shows a lack of nous or gumption or something else that my grandmother would have easily identified.

I would however assume that any anthology of Campbell-eligible stories would have to be produced well in arrears since exclusive rights for the initial publishers may take a year or so to expire in some cases. Stories published in 2013 and therefore eligible in 2014 would probably not be publishable as reprints before 2015 and so on. In some cases they will be available free on-line for long periods or indefinitely too.

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:22 am

Ishmael wrote:I would however assume that any anthology of Campbell-eligible stories would have to be produced well in arrears since exclusive rights for the initial publishers may take a year or so to expire in some cases. Stories published in 2013 and therefore eligible in 2014 would probably not be publishable as reprints before 2015 and so on. In some cases they will be available free on-line for long periods or indefinitely too.

Contracts will usually have exceptions for Year's Best anthologies, and I expect a lot of editors would be happy to make the exception for a Campbell anthology as well. It reflects well on them, after all, to be the ones finding new talent.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:23 am

Okay, that sounds reasonable. And I heard back from David Walton to say That I'm in my second year of eligibility and will be put on the list, though sadly it's too late for all my fans to rush in their countless thousands to sign up for WorldCon in order to nominate me.

"Anyone who is or was a voting member of the 2015, 2016, or 2017 Worldcons by the end of the day (23:59 North American Pacific Standard Time/GMT – 8) on January 31, 2016 is eligible to nominate. You may nominate only once (for each of the two sets of Awards), regardless of how many of those three Worldcons you are a member. Nominations close at 23:59 North American Pacific Daylight Time (GMT – 7) on March 31, 2016."

So in order to nominate George or Lawrence or me (or indeed anyone else) you need to be a member already and to get your nomination in by the end of next month.

This means I can't even nominate somebody good, let alone myself! wotf015

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:41 am

george nik. wrote:
hazlett wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes to get posted on the writertopia site?

Thanks!

Sean,

I initially sent them a message through the form on the page and for a few days nothing happened. Then I emailed the moderator, David Walton (his email's on the page also) and he responded immediately to tell me I was indeed eligible. So I emailed him again to ask him if he would put me on the list or I should contact someone else, and he replied that he already asked Bill Katz to include me. So the next day I was in.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, George! Very helpful.

I sent the email yesterday. I'll let you know if I hear a response.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:52 am

I gather the 2013 and 2014 Campbellian Anthologies differed from the original series edited by George R R Martin back, I think, in the 80's, insofar as they tried to include all eligible writers and not just nominees. They were issued as unpaid reprints in the run-up to the voting, available for free download and withdrawn immediately thereafter.

Although it seems it was intended to keep up the annual issue this did not happen last year. I have no idea why, unless it became impractical, because (Correct me if I'm wrong George) the second one already had about 350,000 words.

I wouldn't be surprised to find it proved impossible to include every eligible writer, let alone every eligible work.

And I suppose for all the actual Hugo categories the nominators just have to remember what they liked during the year?

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:56 am

Ishmael wrote:I gather the 2013 and 2014 Campbellian Anthologies differed from the original series edited by George R R Martin back, I think, in the 80's, insofar as they tried to include all eligible writers and not just nominees. They were issued as unpaid reprints in the run-up to the voting, available for free download and withdrawn immediately thereafter.

Although it seems it was intended to keep up the annual issue this did not happen last year. I have no idea why, unless it became impractical, because (Correct me if I'm wrong George) the second one already had about 350,000 words.

I wouldn't be surprised to find it proved impossible to include every eligible writer, let alone every eligible work.

And I suppose for all the actual Hugo categories the nominators just have to remember what they liked during the year?

It may have been crushed under the weight of its own success; everybody wanted to be included, and this meant a lot of people!

Then again, as I understand it was mostly run by a single individual, and maybe he had his own issues that prevented him from doing it again. There was a call for submissions but it was never followed up, nor was there any cancellation notice.
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:13 am

But, looking on the bright side, we get to say we would have been in the anthology if it had existed. And Bill Katz got back to me to say that the on line form messages had been landing in his trash folder but now he's got the message and I'm on the list!

Hoo-ra! wotf009

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:13 am

Me too!
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:27 pm

Here's to the Campbell forumites wotf009
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:01 pm

Here's tae us! Wha's like us? Gye few, an' they're a' deed!

wotf009

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:36 am

Just a heads-up: someone I know is putting together an anthology after all.

I'll post a link when it's open to submissions, but if you want to figure out which pieces to include, each Campbell-eligible writer can submit up to three stories, with a total wordcount of 20,000 words or fewer, and you will need to be listed on the Writertopia site to submit. Deadline will be Feb 27th, so if you have stories that require you to get publisher permissions, now's the time to hunt them down.

Here's the link for guidelines!

http://www.badmenagerie.com/campbellbook2016/
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:38 am

And the link for submitting your eligible stories is now posted here
N.B. For Western hemisphere writers the deadline for submissions is 27 February, not 28.
wotf008
Unfortunately I'm sitting on my hands in the hope that an eligibility ruling can be obtained before then. (At least I hope someone is asking on my behalf, though I'm not exactly sure.) There is some question as to whether my eligibility clock actually started with my AE Micro piece in 2013 or whether AE Micro is not the same as AE (which is an eligible publication.) So my eligibility could be expired without anyone noticing it had started.
wotf018

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:28 am

Ishmael wrote:And the link for submitting your eligible stories is now posted here
N.B. For Western hemisphere writers the deadline for submissions is 27 February, not 28.
wotf008
Unfortunately I'm sitting on my hands in the hope that an eligibility ruling can be obtained before then. (At least I hope someone is asking on my behalf, though I'm not exactly sure.) There is some question as to whether my eligibility clock actually started with my AE Micro piece in 2013 or whether AE Micro is not the same as AE (which is an eligible publication.) So my eligibility could be expired without anyone noticing it had started.
wotf018

Philip, I thought I'd already replied, but my post seems to have vanished, into thin air or wherever.

I'm quite certain that your eligibility started on 2014 so you are in your second year. Anyway, that's what the official Writertopia page says, so who can challenge that?

Unless I'm much mistaken, there are no eligible or ineligible publications, it's just a matter of payment. So it's impossible for an AE Micro publication to be eligible for the Campbell Award because its maximum payment is 14 $ while the minimum payment for Campbell eligibility is 50 $. Therefore, your "eligibility clock," as they say in Writertopia, started with Spatchcock. So, go ahead and SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!

On the other hand, I have already submitted and I'll be having two stories in the anthology. Only two (the limit is three), unfortunately, because my 13 sales to date refer to just 7 stories, 2 of which were published before I became eligible and 3 are just about to be published -- so that leaves me with only two. Well, two out of three ain't bad wotf007
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:08 am

Well it seems we are going to proceed on the assumption that I'm eligible unless and until someone important tells me I'm not. So I've also sent some stories to Lisa and I'm looking forward to sharing an anthology with you George, and all these nice people.

At the very least, we can hope to be read by people who may have missed our work first time around, which is good. However, since there are 75 writers in the second year and 67 in the first it could be a very weighty tome! Luckily it is going to be an e-book rather than printed.

Who knew the field was this crowded? No wonder I'm not famous yet!
wotf011

Dr.Bob

Postby Dr.Bob » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:31 pm

I need to remember to read the small print. (I am such a guppy)
It seems I am also in my 1st of 2 years of eligibility for the John W. Campbell award.

My sales in 2015 were not in listed Science Fiction Writers of American (SFWA) - recognized "professional publication(s)", but I just discovered on Writertopia (thank you, Frank Dutkiewicz) that the Campbell defines this criterion differently.

Thus I, unexpectedly (both in being surprised as well as in I do not expect to be nominated), do join the list of new eligible authors for my stories And The Ends of The Earth For Thy Possession (my 1st WOTF Finalist tale) which appeared in Giganotosaurus last July, and Lirazel's Heart (a WOTF HM tale picked up as the lead story in the Canadian anthology Robotica) [Links below]. The first is free on-line, and the other I would be honored to share with any interested Forum members upon request (I missed out on contributing them to the Campbell anthology by hours).

I've 3 pro-rate sales for 2016, so far, one appearing in tomorrow's (?) Galaxy Edge Magazine (a strange, hopefully touching, tale I co-authored with the talented and delightful Kary English). So it seems I'll be done and out after next year.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Links:
http://giganotosaurus.org/2015/07/01/an ... ossession/
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... b+finegold
http://www.galaxysedge.com/

Author's FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/robertbfinegold/?ref=hl
Finalist: 2 (vol 31 Q1, vol 30 Q1)
HM: 4
https://www.facebook.com/robertbfinegold/

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”