Yet another etiquette question...

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
Athena

Yet another etiquette question...

Postby Athena » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:45 am

I received a rejection in which the editor suggested that I submit to a different publication and said that I should "say hello" for them.

Is this editor simply being polite or should I say, "_____ from [publication] suggested I submit this story to you."

Many thanks as usual for the pointers.
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

Ishmael

Re: Yet another etiquette question...

Postby Ishmael » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:59 am

I got one of those and did as suggested. No result yet, but I can't see how a recommendation from another editor can hurt. wotf008
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:57 am

Sounds like the Cast of Wonders rejection, in which case--that's their form rejection (sorry).

I always think it's a bit weird to mention it, because it's a bit like ringing up a friend and saying "hey, X has cancelled, so are you free?"

The only time I do mention it, personally, is if it's a recommendation from a market to submit to a sister market--e.g. Podcastle to Pseudopod, which are both Escape Artists markets.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:47 pm

But Cast of Wonders is also an Escape Artists market, so...?

I don't really get it. Matt, do you mean that Cast of Wonders' form rejection asks you to submit to a random market and say hello to them? Is this some kind of joke on their part? Or do they ask you to submit to a particular market, no matter what story you have sent them? And not one of their sister markets at that?

Well, I guess I'll know soon enough, as my story in CoW is about to be judged, but this does strike me as very peculiar indeed.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:29 am

TBH I don't have a CoW rejection on hand to actually say, but I believe it goes something like
If you are still searching for a podcast or magazine to publish this story, consider submitting the piece to the list of recommend venues on our website under Markets. And say hello for us!

which is form. I think it sometimes includes something along the lines of "X and Y would be excellent places to start." If one of X or Y is a sister podcast (e.g. Podcastle), then I might consider it, if the language of the R was hugely complimentary but ending with a "not right for our market"; if it was an unrelated publication (e.g. Drabblecast) then I wouldn't bother.

Honestly, I don't think it would ever help anyway. No market is going to be swayed by another having rejected the story, which, however nicely it's written, is what's happened. Sorry :(

I do find that the more I submit, the less I care about the cover letter, though. I've got 11 out at the moment, and I have gone from writing bespoke cover letters with humour and a personal touch, to a simple
Dear Editors,

Please find attached my X000-word [genre] story, "Waffle and Nonsense", for your consideration.

Kindest regards,
--Matt Dovey

Athena

Postby Athena » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:16 am

Well, it was CoW, but it wasn't a form as they talked specifically about my piece. They did include the form bit ("list of recommend venues on our website under Markets") at the end, but prior to that they suggested I submit to one of the sister markets.

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:37 am

Athena wrote:Well, it was CoW, but it wasn't a form as they talked specifically about my piece. They did include the form bit ("list of recommend venues on our website under Markets") at the end, but prior to that they suggested I submit to one of the sister markets.

In which case, probably wouldn't hurt wotf008

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:45 am

Yep, the end of a COW rejection has a form section about submitting elsewhere, but if in an earlier part they say your piece / might / could / would / is absolutely bound to / interest a sister Escape Artist publication then that's considerably better than a form, I would say. Especially if they say it in capital letters. Twice. And tell you what's good about your story too.

I was a bit surprised they didn't just pass it over and save the resubmission, but if someone says very nice things about my work I'm not going to complain.

wotf011

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:57 am

Ishmael wrote:
I was a bit surprised they didn't just pass it over and save the resubmission, but if someone says very nice things about my work I'm not going to complain.

wotf011

Well, they can't legally/ethically submit your work. As a writer, you have the right to choose where to send your work for consideration. Of course, I myself have been very indiscriminate in this regard, but I imagine others would care.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:00 am

And yet some groups of publications explicitly say they'll consider your submission for others in the family and some even go so far as to say don't submit to these others because we already considered that.

And my acceptance from Albedo 2 arose from a submission to Albedo 1, though goodness knows when that will find its way into print.

Speaking of long delays, is anybody in active contact with Rampant Loon / Stupefying Stories? I've just passed the first anniversary of my contract with them with no further contact. I've already tried two or three queries to different addresses without response.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:09 pm

Ishmael wrote:And yet some groups of publications explicitly say they'll consider your submission for others in the family and some even go so far as to say don't submit to these others because we already considered that.

And my acceptance from Albedo 2 arose from a submission to Albedo 1, though goodness knows when that will find its way into print.

Speaking of long delays, is anybody in active contact with Rampant Loon / Stupefying Stories? I've just passed the first anniversary of my contract with them with no further contact. I've already tried two or three queries to different addresses without response.

I have a story accepted there as well. I signed the contract, forgot that I had done so and queried whether I had about 4 months later. They responded promptly that I had, but did not give any indication if or when the story will be published. The address I used was submissions@rampantloonmedia.com.

The contract itself states that:
In the event that PUBLISHER fails to publish WORK within one year of CONTRACT DATE, AUTHOR
may terminate this contract and recover all rights associated with WORK under the terms of this license
by notifying PUBLISHER of AUTHOR’s desire to terminate this contract. PUBLISHER shall have 30
days to respond to AUTHOR’s request to terminate this contract.If PUBLISHER fails to respond or fails
to reach a new agreement with AUTHOR within this 30-day time period, this contract is void, and all
rights associated with WORK under the terms of this license revert immediately to AUTHOR.

So I guess if you are already over a year and are tired of waiting, you can terminate. Obviously, actually being published would be preferable.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:48 am

Ishmael wrote:And yet some groups of publications explicitly say they'll consider your submission for others in the family and some even go so far as to say don't submit to these others because we already considered that.

For the record, Cricket/Cicada/etc. is one such group. I asked a couple of years back after a personal.

Athena

Postby Athena » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:06 am

MattDovey wrote:For the record, Cricket/Cicada/etc. is one such group. I asked a couple of years back after a personal.

My youngest subscribes to LadyBug which I think is also part of that group, but I could be mistaken.

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:57 pm

Ishmael wrote:Speaking of long delays, is anybody in active contact with Rampant Loon / Stupefying Stories? I've just passed the first anniversary of my contract with them with no further contact. I've already tried two or three queries to different addresses without response.

The editor makes infrequent updates on the Facebook page, including one awhile ago about being behind on responding to email. I've also queried (through email) for a story that was accepted over a year ago with no response. Maybe posting on or messaging the Facebook page (which seems to receive some attention) would be a different way to try getting in touch?

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”