Submission Grinder

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
Jason Parker

Submission Grinder

Postby Jason Parker » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:52 am

Thanks for telling me about the Submission Grinder, everyone.

I was messing around on there and I made this little one-minute video with some thoughts:

https://goo.gl/TmEoM5

It's interesting to me that you could potentially make a living writing short stories the same way those old pulp writers made their living. POTENTIALLY, I say. I'm not sure if there's anyone actually doing it today in 2016. But the math, as far as I understand it, is solid.
6xRs wotf002

MattDovey

Re: Submission Grinder

Postby MattDovey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:37 am

As far as I'm aware from conversations had with the old timers at the bar in April, the only person who has ever made a living solely from short fiction was Ray Bradbury... which is a pretty high bar wotf013
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:40 am

MattDovey wrote:As far as I'm aware from conversations had with the old timers at the bar in April, the only person who has ever made a living solely from short fiction was Ray Bradbury... which is a pretty high bar wotf013

And even Ray wrote some novels eventually. Plus he was into television and movies and theater...
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

Jason Parker

Postby Jason Parker » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:42 am

MattDovey wrote:As far as I'm aware from conversations had with the old timers at the bar in April, the only person who has ever made a living solely from short fiction was Ray Bradbury... which is a pretty high bar wotf013

hehe . . . Yeah, probably.

John D. MacDonald used to fill entire issues of pulp mags with his stories under a bunch of different pen names. He may have clawed out a living at the time. I believe that was in the 50s.
6xRs wotf002

Jason Parker

Postby Jason Parker » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:18 pm

Nope, my math is off. Turns out many of those publications only pay five cents per word for flash fiction.
6xRs wotf002

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:28 am

Harlan Ellison is one of the few short story writers I'm aware of who made a go of it besides Bradbury.

He did have his fingers in a lot of other pies though.
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM, V33Q2 - R
Blog - Lou Writes Stories
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

Jason Parker

Postby Jason Parker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:22 am

On a side note, Otto Penzler put together massive volumes of stories written by these old writers. Pulp collections, Noir collections, Vampire, Zombie, Ghost. . . I have most of them. They're impressive.
[url]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s//ref=mw_ ... to+Penzler[/url]
6xRs wotf002

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”