Persistent Visions

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Persistent Visions

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:42 am

Anyone else waiting on a response to a submission from Persistent Visions? I submitted to them aproximately 4 months ago, and I've got very mixed feelings about the experience so far.... On the one hand, they're a fresh, pro-paying market who keeps their site up to date as to which days they're reviewing submissions from. On the other hand, they're still reviewing submissions from June, and it's October. wotf012 I'm sure that this means they're most likely slammed with submissions and/or have day jobs, so I'm going to continue to be patient. It's just a quiet frustration that lingers in the back of my head and I felt the need to give voice to it somewhere.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?

amoskalik
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby amoskalik » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:24 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Anyone else waiting on a response to a submission from Persistent Visions? I submitted to them aproximately 4 months ago, and I've got very mixed feelings about the experience so far.... On the one hand, they're a fresh, pro-paying market who keeps their site up to date as to which days they're reviewing submissions from. On the other hand, they're still reviewing submissions from June, and it's October. wotf012 I'm sure that this means they're most likely slammed with submissions and/or have day jobs, so I'm going to continue to be patient. It's just a quiet frustration that lingers in the back of my head and I felt the need to give voice to it somewhere.


I got a 120 day form rejection a week or so ago from them so they are slowly working on it.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:29 pm

amoskalik wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:Anyone else waiting on a response to a submission from Persistent Visions? I submitted to them aproximately 4 months ago, and I've got very mixed feelings about the experience so far.... On the one hand, they're a fresh, pro-paying market who keeps their site up to date as to which days they're reviewing submissions from. On the other hand, they're still reviewing submissions from June, and it's October. wotf012 I'm sure that this means they're most likely slammed with submissions and/or have day jobs, so I'm going to continue to be patient. It's just a quiet frustration that lingers in the back of my head and I felt the need to give voice to it somewhere.


I got a 120 day form rejection a week or so ago from them so they are slowly working on it.


I know they're making progress... I check the site and read the new story weekly. At this point I'm fairly certain I'll get a rejection, but I'm holding out for that slim chance. (Sorry about the form, by the way. wotf005 )
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?

User avatar
Ishmael
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:47 am
Location: Stirlingshire, UK

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby Ishmael » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:00 am

According to The Grinder there are 162 pending responses, max 141 days. Forms are running at up to 126.

I'm currently on 67, having got a 69 day form back in August.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .545
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby MattDovey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:27 am

They have been very, very slow. A new market should be able to keep up with slush--they've got no backlog, after all!--but they appear to read fewer stories per week than they receive, so the wait time stretches out without end.

I subbed a story to them almost as soon as they opened, and it took over three months. Not sending anything else to them again until their slushing is in order.

Sarcastic comments on Twitter do not endear them to me either :/
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

User avatar
Athena
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:28 am

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby Athena » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:31 am

MattDovey wrote:Sarcastic comments on Twitter do not endear them to me either :/


Yeah, I noticed that the other day. It seemed... unnecessary.
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

Henckel
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby Henckel » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:50 pm

Hi disgruntledpeony.
It looks like an interesting magazine. I don't have anything suitable to submit, but am interested as a reader.
Anyway, I hope you hear back soon.

User avatar
Ishmael
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:47 am
Location: Stirlingshire, UK

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby Ishmael » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:02 am

Athena wrote:
MattDovey wrote:Sarcastic comments on Twitter do not endear them to me either :/


Yeah, I noticed that the other day. It seemed... unnecessary.


Not being a Twitter subscriber I was prompted to look by these remarks. I agree. Unprofessional behaviour.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .545
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

amoskalik
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby amoskalik » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:48 am

Ishmael wrote:
Athena wrote:
MattDovey wrote:Sarcastic comments on Twitter do not endear them to me either :/


Yeah, I noticed that the other day. It seemed... unnecessary.


Not being a Twitter subscriber I was prompted to look by these remarks. I agree. Unprofessional behaviour.


I agree as well. Don't mock the slush, not in public anyway.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

User avatar
Randy Hulshizer
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:16 am
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:21 am

amoskalik wrote:
Ishmael wrote:Not being a Twitter subscriber I was prompted to look by these remarks. I agree. Unprofessional behaviour.


I agree as well. Don't mock the slush, not in public anyway.


Amen. Very unprofessional.
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby MattDovey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:44 am

They claimed--in Twitter conversation with a few of us--that they weren't related to specific manuscripts but were meant to be a light-hearted list along the lines of Strange Horizons'. It certainly doesn't come across that way though, does it?
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

User avatar
Athena
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:28 am

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby Athena » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:44 am

MattDovey wrote:They claimed--in Twitter conversation with a few of us--that they weren't related to specific manuscripts but were meant to be a light-hearted list along the lines of Strange Horizons'. It certainly doesn't come across that way though, does it?


Interesting. No, it didn't come off that way, and while everything (I saw) they mentioned seemed like more than good reasons to reject a story, it seemed pretty crummy to publicize it that way. I get they may not have intended it to come off the way it did, but boy, it sure looked like they were mocking rejections, and I suppose, in a case like this, what it looks like is what counts, no?
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

User avatar
emilymccosh
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm
Location: California, United States
Contact:

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:07 pm

Okay, can someone point me in the direction of theis twitter conversation. I was looking for it the other day, but couldn't find it...
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:23 pm

emilymccosh wrote:Okay, can someone point me in the direction of theis twitter conversation. I was looking for it the other day, but couldn't find it...


https://mobile.twitter.com/PersistentVis All you have to do is scroll down a bit. On the one hand, I get what they're trying to do, but on the other hand there's plenty of magazines that have done it far more professionally.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?

User avatar
J'nae Rae
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:05 pm

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby J'nae Rae » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Wow, those are poorly done. wotf012
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Persistent Visions just changed the way they display their progress in submissions. They're up to June 14th, at this point. Apparently, there are 585 submissions in their queue.

That... definitely explains a few things. (I also think they don't have any slush readers.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Persistent Visions

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:06 am

Finally got my rejection back, just shy of eight months in. I was expecting it, at this point. On the upside, I've had enough time away from the story to realize that I inadvertently made a step back with my previous round of edits and I know what I need to do to breathe the proper amount of life into the story. This is the first time a rejection has actually felt like a relief. wotf021
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?


Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest