Magical Realism?

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:19 pm

I've written a short story and the only *label* I can come up with would be magical realism (could have that wrong). I'd like to submit it here, but then, I'm not sure it quite constitutes fantasy. There is a speculative element that hits you right at the front, but the story almost seems too "real".
wotf017
What do you guys think? Does WOTF include magical realism? And if not, any ideas where else to place a story like this? Has anyone found a home for something similar? ***I'm happy to email a three-sentence synopsis or trade stories if you want to see what I'm talking about specifically. 3.6k***
Thanks for your help. You guys rock!!!
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:24 pm

You're probably good to send it in so long as th speculative element is there, but feel free to send it my way first. I'll finish the trade once I've got something ready. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

jficke13
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby jficke13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Whatever label you give it, it sounds cool. I'd read it if you'd like.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. www.jonficke.wordpress.com

thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:08 pm

jficke13 wrote:Whatever label you give it, it sounds cool. I'd read it if you'd like.

Thanks!!!!!
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:08 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:You're probably good to send it in so long as th speculative element is there, but feel free to send it my way first. I'll finish the trade once I've got something ready. wotf007

Thank you!
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby MattDovey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:58 pm

I won with magical realism, albeit in an historical setting. And speaking from a PodCastle perspective (where I slush), "speculative element in the real world" absolutely counts as fantasy for our purposes. Personally I usually find it more interesting than secondary world, especially if that secondary world is yet another cod-mediaeval feudal Northern European setting :)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:13 am

MattDovey wrote:I won with magical realism, albeit in an historical setting. And speaking from a PodCastle perspective (where I slush), "speculative element in the real world" absolutely counts as fantasy for our purposes. Personally I usually find it more interesting than secondary world, especially if that secondary world is yet another cod-mediaeval feudal Northern European setting :)

That's awesome! (I've been wanting to read yours but I haven't yet bought that volume. It's on my Christmas list. I've only got two volumes and haven't seen a magical realism). So at this point I've exchanged mine with three people and everyone says they "think" it will work but to really make that one element shine. That's good enough for me, I suppose. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep PodCastle in mind. wotf011 Now, onward!!! wotf024
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:14 am

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the replies here and emails. I'll find this thing a home wotf011
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

pcmccollum
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:45 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby pcmccollum » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:03 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:You guys are awesome! Thanks for the replies here and emails. I'll find this thing a home wotf011


FYI, my last (and only) submission could be considered magical realism and received an HM...not to mention Matt Dovey's fantastic story as he noted above. Definitely worth giving it a shot, IMO.

-Phillip
V34-Q4: HM
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury
Follow my attempt at 52 short stories in 52 weeks - https://phillipmccollum.com/52-short-stories-in-52-weeks/

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby MattDovey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:30 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:
MattDovey wrote:I won with magical realism, albeit in an historical setting. And speaking from a PodCastle perspective (where I slush), "speculative element in the real world" absolutely counts as fantasy for our purposes. Personally I usually find it more interesting than secondary world, especially if that secondary world is yet another cod-mediaeval feudal Northern European setting :)

That's awesome! (I've been wanting to read yours but I haven't yet bought that volume. It's on my Christmas list. I've only got two volumes and haven't seen a magical realism). So at this point I've exchanged mine with three people and everyone says they "think" it will work but to really make that one element shine. That's good enough for me, I suppose. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep PodCastle in mind. wotf011 Now, onward!!! wotf024


If you just want to read it then it's on my website for free, or on PodCastle as an hour long narration. There's no free eBook version around right now (unless you happened to snag a copy of Event Horizon 2017 or Stuart Hardwick's The Future is Nigh anthology while they were both available) but you have my permission to copy and paste the story into Word and email it to your Kindle if you like ;)

Poseidon's Eyes, Wisteria Melancholy and The God Whisperer from v31 were magical realism too. Plenty of precedent :)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:34 pm

MattDovey wrote:
thegirlintheglasses wrote:
MattDovey wrote:I won with magical realism, albeit in an historical setting. And speaking from a PodCastle perspective (where I slush), "speculative element in the real world" absolutely counts as fantasy for our purposes. Personally I usually find it more interesting than secondary world, especially if that secondary world is yet another cod-mediaeval feudal Northern European setting :)

That's awesome! (I've been wanting to read yours but I haven't yet bought that volume. It's on my Christmas list. I've only got two volumes and haven't seen a magical realism). So at this point I've exchanged mine with three people and everyone says they "think" it will work but to really make that one element shine. That's good enough for me, I suppose. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep PodCastle in mind. wotf011 Now, onward!!! wotf024


If you just want to read it then it's on my website for free, or on PodCastle as an hour long narration. There's no free eBook version around right now (unless you happened to snag a copy of Event Horizon 2017 or Stuart Hardwick's The Future is Nigh anthology while they were both available) but you have my permission to copy and paste the story into Word and email it to your Kindle if you like ;)

Poseidon's Eyes, Wisteria Melancholy and The God Whisperer from v31 were magical realism too. Plenty of precedent :)

I still want the next volume, but I'm happy to read this now. Sneak peek! Thank you! Also I've actually read all the of those but it didn't hit me as magical realism... Until you say that now. I mean, Gods as pets, the way it's presented as normal (so funny too), and in modern times is um... Realism. Gah! I really hope I'm right about what mine is. I think I'll take a second look at the anthologies I have...
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

jficke13
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby jficke13 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:05 pm

One cool thing about the contest is you have room to experiment because it runs every quarter. If it doesn't win you don't necessarily have a broken story. You can find it a home elsewhere, and in the meantime you learn something about your own writing and something about the contest.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. www.jonficke.wordpress.com

thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:43 pm

jficke13 wrote:One cool thing about the contest is you have room to experiment because it runs every quarter. If it doesn't win you don't necessarily have a broken story. You can find it a home elsewhere, and in the meantime you learn something about your own writing and something about the contest.

You're right! Experimenting is fun too and I love exploring different topics/questions with stories. Also I need to be better about sending off my rejected stories to other sites. What may be a big no here may be a fat yes somewhere else (sometimes after heavy revising). I've only got one story out right now... I suppose I can't be accepted anywhere without submitting though. Better get going lol.
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

jficke13
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby jficke13 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:33 pm

thegirlintheglasses wrote:
jficke13 wrote:One cool thing about the contest is you have room to experiment because it runs every quarter. If it doesn't win you don't necessarily have a broken story. You can find it a home elsewhere, and in the meantime you learn something about your own writing and something about the contest.

[...]What may be a big no here may be a fat yes somewhere else [...]

So my 3rd for Q4? A rejection from somewhere else. That editor didn't have a place for it. Dave and the judges here did. At some point if it's good (and your stuff is good), it's a question of fit.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. www.jonficke.wordpress.com

WaywardSaint
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 10:15 am

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby WaywardSaint » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:06 pm

My piece that made SHM last quarter (by far my high mark here) was MR.

thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:36 pm

So my 3rd for Q4? A rejection from somewhere else. That editor didn't have a place for it. Dave and the judges here did. At some point if it's good (and your stuff is good), it's a question of fit.[/quote]

Thanks. I think the fit thing is a reality in this business. And congrats BTW for winning third!!!! That's so huge! HUGE! wotf010 wotf010 wotf010 wotf009

I've told myself I want to send stuff here first because, well, it has the best payout (not just money but connections, prestige, week-long trip for EDUCATION etc.) So... I'll likely keep sending and then get my rejection and submit elsewhere. It'd be a dream to win--but it'd also be a dream to pro-out (which also seems to be part of this contest, encouraging writers to keep producing). I see Ishmael on the threads and think, dude, this guy is awesome. Classy. Persistence and eventually, payout. So I'll just tag my few certificates on the wall and keep chugging.

PS. You should write about your week-long conference experience this spring. I'm sure I'm not the only one pouring over the threads and blog posts about it. Gotta fuel the dream. Peace.
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:40 pm

WaywardSaint wrote:My piece that made SHM last quarter (by far my high mark here) was MR.

Awesome! Well apparently there IS precedence and I have no idea what I'm talking about (not that big a surprise lol) wotf019 . This spawns a little hope in me and I think I'll submit here before elsewhere. I mean, what is there to lose?
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

jficke13
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby jficke13 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:20 pm

I'm for sure going to put together a bit of a diary/journal thing on the winning experience. I won't be the first to do it, but if it helps anyone it's worth it, right?
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. www.jonficke.wordpress.com

thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:07 am

jficke13 wrote:I'm for sure going to put together a bit of a diary/journal thing on the winning experience. I won't be the first to do it, but if it helps anyone it's worth it, right?

Yes worth it! And the dreamers will appreciate it. wotf007
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby MattDovey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:55 am

jficke13 wrote:I'm for sure going to put together a bit of a diary/journal thing on the winning experience. I won't be the first to do it, but if it helps anyone it's worth it, right?


Don't reckon on getting anything written up during the week, you'll be too busy! But keep notes about each day, because by the time you finish you're exhausted and the last thing you want to do is sit and write it all up again. I meant to write way more than I did about the experience (part 1, part 2), but by the time I felt up to it I'd lost the definite narrative of the week in my head.

Also don't worry about taking photos: there'll be two or three photographers following your every move, and they give you the photos at the end. I mean, by all means take photos as you please, but don't stress about having to record everything that happens. You'll have plenty of that, I promise!
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:24 pm

MattDovey wrote:
jficke13 wrote:I'm for sure going to put together a bit of a diary/journal thing on the winning experience. I won't be the first to do it, but if it helps anyone it's worth it, right?


Don't reckon on getting anything written up during the week, you'll be too busy! But keep notes about each day, because by the time you finish you're exhausted and the last thing you want to do is sit and write it all up again. I meant to write way more than I did about the experience (part 1, part 2), but by the time I felt up to it I'd lost the definite narrative of the week in my head.

Also don't worry about taking photos: there'll be two or three photographers following your every move, and they give you the photos at the end. I mean, by all means take photos as you please, but don't stress about having to record everything that happens. You'll have plenty of that, I promise!

and I appreciate your fine notes too, sir, even if the narrative is off. ;) It's fun to hear about the experience. Anyone willing to write about it is awesome-possum in my book. :) I'll take what I can get.
And photographers following your every move? Nice. Love the luggage photo too lol wotf013
Actually I do think that is really cool. I just went to my son's first grade Thanksgiving program and wanted to video-record it but not...because I wanted to experience it there. I remember wishing the school would just record it, because I'd pay money to not be stressed out about recording. I recorded one song and then was done because...enjoyment. So having a photographer to capture all the moments during one of the coolest things that can ever happen to you as an author: mind blown.

PS just listened to your story on podcast. Loved it. Great narrator too. Thank you for posting the link. Now to buy the book...
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby MattDovey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:19 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:and I appreciate your fine notes too, sir, even if the narrative is off. ;) It's fun to hear about the experience. Anyone willing to write about it is awesome-possum in my book. :) I'll take what I can get.
And photographers following your every move? Nice. Love the luggage photo too lol wotf013
Actually I do think that is really cool. I just went to my son's first grade Thanksgiving program and wanted to video-record it but not...because I wanted to experience it there. I remember wishing the school would just record it, because I'd pay money to not be stressed out about recording. I recorded one song and then was done because...enjoyment. So having a photographer to capture all the moments during one of the coolest things that can ever happen to you as an author: mind blown.

PS just listened to your story on podcast. Loved it. Great narrator too. Thank you for posting the link. Now to buy the book...


Ha, that bloody luggage photo. So cheesy I turned it into a film poster:
Image

And thank you! I thought it was a marvellous podcast reading too. I thoroughly recommend getting your stories reprinted at audio markets, because hearing them read out is an amazing experience. I hated one story I'd sold until I heard Tina Connolly reading it, and now I love it.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

thegirlintheglasses
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:11 am

I thoroughly recommend getting your stories reprinted at audio markets, because hearing them read out is an amazing experience. I hated one story I'd sold until I heard Tina Connolly reading it, and now I love it.[/quote]


hahaha it makes an awesome cheesy film poster!

And I'll keep that^^^ in mind for whenever I finally publish something. I figure if I keep submiting, I'll get lucky somewhere. wotf011

Clever about the scar on your arm. Ever tell how that really happened? Plus, choke, that story was great. Tina did a wonderful job reading it.
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Magical Realism?

Postby MattDovey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:10 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:Clever about the scar on your arm. Ever tell how that really happened?


Now where would be the fun in that? wotf011

thegirlintheglasses wrote:Plus, choke, that story was great. Tina did a wonderful job reading it.


Tina is an amazing reader. She does a lot at Escape Pod, but she also has her own podcast that's just started up again, Toasted Cake.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter


Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests