Can I plagiarize my own material?

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
amyhg

Can I plagiarize my own material?

Postby amyhg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm just beginning to practice flash fiction, but something occurred to me... If I write a flash piece and sell it, then write a fleshed out version of that flash piece, can I also sell it or would that be unprofessional since they originate from the same ideas, characters, and/or setting?
v33: Q3 - R; Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R; Q2 - SECOND PLACE! Q3 - HM (oops...?)
http://www.amyhenriegillett.com

amoskalik

Re: Can I plagiarize my own material?

Postby amoskalik » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:59 am

I don't see why not. I believe DF turned his winning story for this contest into a novel and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples like that one.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

MattDovey

Re: Can I plagiarize my own material?

Postby MattDovey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 am

Thousands of examples. Ender's Game started as a short. Flowers for Algernon started as a short. Martin is just turning his Clarkesworld short Today I Am Paul into a novel.

I can't think of a flash turned into a short--which arguably compete more than shorts v novels--but chances are it would take you longer than the exclusivity of a published flash piece (4 months at DSF, 6 months at FFO forex) to write and sell a longer version anyway.

People write stories inspired by others all the time. The same ideas are examined over and over by authors (so many "we live in a simulation" stories at Nature!). You could write a short inspired by someone else's flash, you can sure as shit write a story inspired by your own, and re-use characters, setting, whatever you like :)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”