Can I plagiarize my own material?

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
amyhg

Can I plagiarize my own material?

Postby amyhg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm just beginning to practice flash fiction, but something occurred to me... If I write a flash piece and sell it, then write a fleshed out version of that flash piece, can I also sell it or would that be unprofessional since they originate from the same ideas, characters, and/or setting?
v33: Q3 - R; Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R; Q2 - SECOND PLACE! Q3 - HM (oops...?)
http://www.amyhenriegillett.com

amoskalik

Re: Can I plagiarize my own material?

Postby amoskalik » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:59 am

I don't see why not. I believe DF turned his winning story for this contest into a novel and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples like that one.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 am

Thousands of examples. Ender's Game started as a short. Flowers for Algernon started as a short. Martin is just turning his Clarkesworld short Today I Am Paul into a novel.

I can't think of a flash turned into a short--which arguably compete more than shorts v novels--but chances are it would take you longer than the exclusivity of a published flash piece (4 months at DSF, 6 months at FFO forex) to write and sell a longer version anyway.

People write stories inspired by others all the time. The same ideas are examined over and over by authors (so many "we live in a simulation" stories at Nature!). You could write a short inspired by someone else's flash, you can sure as shit write a story inspired by your own, and re-use characters, setting, whatever you like :)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

amyhg

Postby amyhg » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:26 pm

MattDovey wrote:Thousands of examples. Ender's Game started as a short. Flowers for Algernon started as a short. Martin is just turning his Clarkesworld short Today I Am Paul into a novel.

I can't think of a flash turned into a short--which arguably compete more than shorts v novels--but chances are it would take you longer than the exclusivity of a published flash piece (4 months at DSF, 6 months at FFO forex) to write and sell a longer version anyway.

People write stories inspired by others all the time. The same ideas are examined over and over by authors (so many "we live in a simulation" stories at Nature!). You could write a short inspired by someone else's flash, you can sure as shit write a story inspired by your own, and re-use characters, setting, whatever you like :)

Oops. Guess I'm finally coming back around to this conversation again. I guess I'm more concerned about publishers getting touchy about it, especially if I want to reuse a scene or some lines. Would that come off as tactless?
v33: Q3 - R; Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R; Q2 - SECOND PLACE! Q3 - HM (oops...?)
http://www.amyhenriegillett.com

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:30 am

amyhg wrote:
MattDovey wrote:Thousands of examples. Ender's Game started as a short. Flowers for Algernon started as a short. Martin is just turning his Clarkesworld short Today I Am Paul into a novel.

Oops. Guess I'm finally coming back around to this conversation again. I guess I'm more concerned about publishers getting touchy about it, especially if I want to reuse a scene or some lines. Would that come off as tactless?

If you're outside the exclusivity period, it doesn't matter. They might get iffy if you have something substantially similar published within that 3-/6-/12-month period, but the odds of that seem pretty low anyway, given the speed publishing moves at :)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

BLAlley

Postby BLAlley » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:33 pm

I included expanded versions of two previous short stories in my most recent book.

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”