Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
izanobu

Re: Success!

Postby izanobu » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:52 am

w00t, Kyle!

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:50 am

Yahoo, kyle! Fantastic.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

kyle

Postby kyle » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks, all! It's not as exciting as that first pro sale was, but I'm still pretty darned jazzed. :D

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:03 am

kyle wrote:Looks like I might be joining y'all in Digital Science Fiction. No contract yet (so there's plenty of time for it all to go very, very wrong), but I got an acceptance note overnight for one of my stories about colonizing Venus.

Wait'll you see that contract, kyle. I doubt it will go wrong at all. After some of the horror stories I've read, I was stunned at how clear and equitable the terms were. Admittedly, I'm not a contract lawyer; but it seemed to me to precisely spell out legally exactly what they were buying; and what they were buying was completely reasonable. In fact, they voluntarily surrendered rights that I might never even have thought of.

Mike (the publisher) tells me the contract was highly influenced by Ed Greenwood (whose in Volume 1), and also carefully reviewed by two lawyers who also have stories in Volume 1. It seems very author-friendly. When they reopen for submissions (they're closed right now), I encourage people to consider Digital Science Fiction as a pro-paying market.

UPDATE: I just realized this part may be confusing:

In fact, they voluntarily surrendered rights that I might never even have thought of.

So let me be specific. They purchase exclusive rights to the work in all forms for a period post publication (I think it was 6 months, but I don't have the contract in front of me -- might've been 12); but then they waived that in advance for any "Year's Best" anthology. Very nice. And they also agreed to consider waiving other publications on a case by case basis. It's clear that they would be very happy to see "Previously published in Digital Science Fiction" in a Year's Best. That's great advertising for them, of course, but still generous for them to make that clear up front.

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:03 am

I just checked out Digital-SF and I agree. It does look like a good market to go into. If one of my stories does not make it through at Asimov's, I may try to submit one into there...with a few minor additions.
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 am

My story "The Hanged Poet" is now up at Intergalactic Medicine Show.

This is my first pro sale outside of winning Writers of the Future, so two down, one to go before joining SFWA. :-)

This story was my non-winning finalist for Q4 2009, so I hope ya'll like it.
You can read the first two pages for free on IGMS, but you need a subscription for the rest. It's a good magazine and the subscription is $15/year, so consider supporting them.

Thanks.
6 x HM
Finalist - Q4 2009
2nd Place Winner - Q4 2010

kyle

Postby kyle » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:27 am

Congratulations, Jeff!

And, remember you can join SFWA as an Associate right now. You can't vote, but you get full access to the members' forum and the directory. In my opinion, that was worth the price of admission by itself, especially since I don't know the players well enough to vote intelligently...

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 am

Yeah, I know. Stubborn pride. I want to join when I can have it all. :-)
With two successes back to back, I've sort of deluded myself into thinking this is the way it will always be.

Naturally I'm headed for a rather shocking impact with the earth when I come back down to it, but I hope to be able to join SFWA by the end of this year.
6 x HM
Finalist - Q4 2009

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 am

And a big YEEHAAA! to Jeff! I'm already an IGMS subscriber, so I'll look for the story. Thanks!
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Alex Kane

Postby Alex Kane » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Congratulations, Jeff! :)

I, too, just might have to subscribe to IGMS.

Does the $15.00/yr give you access to past stories, as well?

nodehead

Postby nodehead » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Congratulations izanobu, kyle, Grayson, Martin, Brad, Patty, Alex and anyone I missed (I'm skimming). Digital SF definitely looks like an interesting new market.
Someone mentioned me somewhere, once. But, it wasn't here. And, it wasn't honorable. (A.K.A. 2x Rejections.)
A blog-like kind of thing...

AdamP

Postby AdamP » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Congrats, Jeff! Well done!
http://www.adamperin.com

Q42010 WotF 3rd Place Winner

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:35 pm

I donno if it's success or anything, but I think I cracked a personal rejection letter from Lightspeed. I haven't received a personal yet, so I donno if it is or not (since normally they say form rejection on it or something like it).

Thanks for submitting this story, but I'm going to pass on it. It didn't quite work for me, I'm afraid. Best of luck to you placing this one elsewhere, and thanks again for sending it my way.

Still, means I'm moving in the right direction...I think?
Michael Beers
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:42 pm

WriteToLive wrote:I donno if it's success or anything, but I think I cracked a personal rejection letter from Lightspeed. I haven't received a personal yet, so I donno if it is or not (since normally they say form rejection on it or something like it).

Thanks for submitting this story, but I'm going to pass on it. It didn't quite work for me, I'm afraid. Best of luck to you placing this one elsewhere, and thanks again for sending it my way.

Sorry to say, that's the standard rejection. You might be thinking of Clarkesworld that mentions the "sorry for the form rejection" bit.
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:46 pm

I know Asimov, Analog, and Clarkesworld mentions form letter, but I didn't know since this done did not have it listed.

Back to square 1... :(
Michael Beers

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:11 pm

WriteToLive wrote:I know Asimov, Analog, and Clarkesworld mentions form letter, but I didn't know since this done did not have it listed.

Back to square 1... :(

It's okay. Rejections are the fruits we writers dine upon. They help us grow stronger. Bonn appetite!
Thomas K Carpenter

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:20 pm

I know, that's why I had this in my sig a while back.

"When I finished my first story, I smiled. My journey as a writer had begun.
When I received my first rejection letter, I jumped for joy. My journey as a great writer had begun."
Michael Beers

nodehead

Postby nodehead » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:15 am

WriteToLive wrote:I donno if it's success or anything, but I think I cracked a personal rejection letter from Lightspeed. I haven't received a personal yet, so I donno if it is or not (since normally they say form rejection on it or something like it).

If it's any consolation, you're not the first to think that Lightspeed's form rejection is personal -- I've seen that interpretation of it a few times. They also seem to have a few variations on it -- I've had the above one many, many, many, (too) many times. And this one once:

Thanks for submitting this story, but I'm going to pass on it. It's nicely written and I enjoyed reading it, but overall it didn't quite win me over, I'm afraid. Best of luck to you placing this one elsewhere, and thanks again for sending it my way. I hope you'll try us again with something else.

I was never sure if that *meant* something, or if they'd just changed their form rejection at some point. I'm a glass-half-empty kind o'guy, so I just assumed the latter.

It's amazing how excited we lot can get from anything that even sniffs as a personal touch, though. I got a form rejection from Daily Science Fiction a few weeks ago with "PS: feels like a chapter." tacked on at the bottom. Not exactly "positive" feedback, yet all I could think (with a big smile on my face) was: They read it! They read it! They actually read it!
Someone mentioned me somewhere, once. But, it wasn't here. And, it wasn't honorable. (A.K.A. 2x Rejections.)
A blog-like kind of thing...

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 am

Jeff, congratulations! What a great streak you're on. I'm an IGMS subscriber, so I'll hop on over and read your story soon.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:30 am

Nodehead,

I'm not sure what Lightspeeds form rejections are, but they typically have three types.

There's the "did not hold my attention" which means he probably didn't finish it.

The "didn't quite work for me" meaning he may have finished it, or read a bulk of it, but it didn't hold together or he didn't like the ending.

And the "didn't quite win me over" is pretty close to a personal rejection. He liked it, he enjoyed the ending, it held together, but he wasn't excited enough to buy it. The line at the end "I hope you'll try us again with something else" is his vote of confidence that you have the talent, and another story might be a sale.

Many of the magazines have a similiar three tier system (which is why I can sort of guess at Lightspeed's system). Does Realms of Fantasy still do their Blue Form of Death, and Yellow Form of Promise rejections? Back when I was submitting to them, I got many Blues, and two Yellows, the 2nd Yellow having a personal note writton on it in real ink. :-)

Anyway, that's the super secret code of rejections. The "didn't quite win me over" is sort of an Honerable Mention. A personal rejection, I guess, would be like a Semi-finalist. And the "this is being passed up to the editor" would be the Finalist.
6 x HM
Finalist - Q4 2009

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:27 am

At least that tells me it was more of a taste rejection if he said "didn't quite work for me."
Michael Beers

Alex Kane

Postby Alex Kane » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:56 am

I just got JJA's "Didn't quite win me over," top-tier form rejection for the second time in a row. My story sat at #1 in the Queue for like 30 hrs. Spent a lot of them, of course, staring vacantly at my inbox and clicking refresh.

To the wise: don't ever do that. It was torture. Go write, or go for a walk.

The silver lining, of course, is that I still get to use that story as my Q3 entry. :)

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 am

I got something like that from Clarkesworld when I submitted one of my stories.

The way I figure, all of my stories, save for my entries, are out in submission queues. By the time I should hear back from all of them, Q4 will be open and if I get any decent responses on any of them, I'll probably use it for an entry.
Michael Beers

Alex Kane

Postby Alex Kane » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:40 am

WriteToLive wrote:I got something like that from Clarkesworld when I submitted one of my stories.

The way I figure, all of my stories, save for my entries, are out in submission queues. By the time I should hear back from all of them, Q4 will be open and if I get any decent responses on any of them, I'll probably use it for an entry.

Yeah, I've only ever gotten the same thing from Clarkesworld: "Unfortunately, your story isn't quite what we're looking for right now. Each month, we receive hundreds of submissions and while I may like many of them, I can only publish twelve of them per year."

Doesn't really give you any indication on how well the slusher (or Neil) enjoyed your piece, but again: that sort of thing is useless to contemplate. "Rejectomancy," many call it. No means no, so it's best to just move on and submit it elsewhere. No use dwelling on someone else's subjective taste in fiction. Especially when that market receives three- to five hundred submissions every month, and can only publish 12 of them per year.

Alex Kane

Postby Alex Kane » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:43 am

WriteToLive wrote:At least that tells me it was more of a taste rejection if he said "didn't quite work for me."

As for this, every single rejection is a "taste rejection." No more, no less.

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:51 am

Alex Kane wrote:
WriteToLive wrote:At least that tells me it was more of a taste rejection if he said "didn't quite work for me."

As for this, every single rejection is a "taste rejection." No more, no less.

Yep. What Alex said. Every rejection is taste. Move on and send the story somewhere else.

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:56 pm

My Clarion is off to a good start with me making a sale to Daily Science Fiction. Now... must go write my Q3 story. Doom!

Alex Kane

Postby Alex Kane » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:51 pm

izanobu wrote:My Clarion is off to a good start with me making a sale to Daily Science Fiction. Now... must go write my Q3 story. Doom!

w00t! :)

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:44 am

izanobu wrote:My Clarion is off to a good start with me making a sale to Daily Science Fiction. Now... must go write my Q3 story. Doom!

Grats! The sale was a karmic reversal for the plane mishaps on the way there. :)
Thomas K Carpenter

Gwendolyn Clare

Postby Gwendolyn Clare » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:58 am

Stephen Ramey, one of the editors for the Triangulation: Last Contact anthology, has been posting teasers on his blog: http://stephenvramey.wordpress.com/. He posted a teaser for my story "A Claw from the Western Paradise" yesterday. Looks like it's shaping up to be a neat collection of stories -- can't wait to see the final product.
HM x 7
Semi-finalist x 4

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”