Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
gower21

Re: Success!

Postby gower21 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:02 am

Gwendolyn! what a nice little excerpt...your writing is always so beautiful, flowing from one sentence to the next. Congrats on the sale!

Izanobu, congrats on the sale to Daily Science Fiction! So Clarion has started already? That is so exciting, time for you to write a winning story for WOTF...haven't a lot of winners come from that workshop?

kyle

Postby kyle » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 am

Congratulations to both of you, izanobu and Gwendolyn Clare!

Juliana

Postby Juliana » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 am

Brad R. Torgersen wrote:Sale #4 to Analog, for me.

"Ray of Light" will appear very late this year, or probably early next.

Yah, I can get used to being a "regular" in the genre's most venerable, most widely circulated print magazine.

:D

Rock on! A big congratulations!

vanaaron

Postby vanaaron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:44 am

Jeff wrote:My story "The Hanged Poet" is now up at Intergalactic Medicine Show.

This is my first pro sale outside of winning Writers of the Future, so two down, one to go before joining SFWA. :-)

This story was my non-winning finalist for Q4 2009, so I hope ya'll like it.
You can read the first two pages for free on IGMS, but you need a subscription for the rest. It's a good magazine and the subscription is $15/year, so consider supporting them.

Thanks.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but just wanted to emphasize that "The Hanged Poet" is an outstanding story. And here is a blog post, stating at greater length that "The Hanged Poet" is an outstanding story.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Brag time!Therefore I Am - Digital Science Fiction Anthology 2 is now available on Kindle. Other ebook formats will be available this week (if all goes according to plan), and a POD version later in the month.

Therefore I Am contains stories by forum regulars steffenwolf, izanobu, and yours truly, as well as other authors, 10 stories in total.

Digital Science Fiction hasn't yet qualified as a pro market, so I can't call it my first pro sale; but it's my first paid publication, so I'm pretty darned thrilled!
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Brag time!Therefore I Am - Digital Science Fiction Anthology 2 is now available on Kindle. Other ebook formats will be available this week (if all goes according to plan), and a POD version later in the month.

Therefore I Am contains stories by forum regulars steffenwolf, izanobu, and yours truly, as well as other authors, 10 stories in total.

Digital Science Fiction hasn't yet qualified as a pro market, so I can't call it my first pro sale; but it's my first paid publication, so I'm pretty darned thrilled!

Grats to you Martin and all in it!
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Digital SF is, in fact, a pro market. Just because SFWA doesn't qualify as such yet doesn't mean squat except if you want to be an SFWA member using the sales. Digital SF pays 5 cents a word. That's pro enough for me :)

(Also, my story is in this as well. Wee.)

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:39 pm

izanobu wrote:Digital SF is, in fact, a pro market. Just because SFWA doesn't qualify as such yet doesn't mean squat except if you want to be an SFWA member using the sales. Digital SF pays 5 cents a word. That's pro enough for me :)

(Also, my story is in this as well. Wee.)

It feels pro for me, too. Certainly the check is pro! But there's one other key difference besides SFWA: doesn't WotF use SFWA's rules when determing what counts as a pro sale? I was under the impression that a fledgling market like this didn't affect WotF eligibility.

I'll be reading your story as soon as I can. I'm trying to be a good boy and read in order, and I think your story is last in the book (one of the two prime spots, first and last).

UPDATE: Or maybe I'm misremembering. The rules say simply, "Professional publication is deemed to be payment, and at least 5,000 copies, or 5,000 hits." So if the volume reaches 5,000 copies, it looks like this counts as pro sale for the contest.

NNiNN

kyle

Postby kyle » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Glad to see your stories out! Congrats again, all of you!
Last edited by kyle on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:38 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Therefore I Am contains stories by forum regulars steffenwolf, izanobu, and yours truly, as well as other authors, 10 stories in total.

Huge congratulations to you all! :)
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:47 am

Ooh. I'm the ending story in that anthology. Sweet. (Start and end are usually the stories the editor considers the strongest). I can't wait for my contributer copy.

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Congrats all--must be one heck of a collection!
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Excellent for all of you. I'm prolly going to try and shoot for the third when they finally open up.

But, the story I would send them is being considered at Asimov's right now. If it sells there, oh well. If not, I've got something to submit.
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:56 am

WriteToLive wrote:Excellent for all of you. I'm prolly going to try and shoot for the third when they finally open up.

In a surprise move, they just reopened for submissions three days early.

Yes, I'm a selfish bastard. I submitted my story before telling you all. Somehow I'll find a way to live with the guilt...

NNiNN

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Yes...and now I'm at a quandry.

I submitted a story to LORE, not realizing they open submissions up on Aug. 1. The story, imo, would be a good fit for Digital SF.

I'm wondering if I should withdraw the story from LORE and put it into Digital SF instead...
OR if I should submit to Digital SF and withdraw from LORE if it sells...
Michael Beers
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 pm

WriteToLive wrote:I'm wondering if I should withdraw the story from LORE and put it into Digital SF instead...
OR if I should submit to Digital SF and withdraw from LORE if it sells...

If it were me, I would be leery of the latter. LORE doesn't want simsubs; and although Digital surprisingly accepts them, I think LORE's proscription overrules that. The very reason editors don't want simsubs is they don't want to find a story worth buying and then find out they can't have it. The latter approach could lead to exactly that.

I tend toward a fire-and-forget approach: once the story is out, I forget it until I get an answer. That's just easier for me to handle. But if LORE has a withdrawal process and you'd like to target Digital, I'd recommend withdrawing.

NNiNN

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:02 am

Looks like I'm gonna wait to hear from LORE then. Hopefully, by the time I hear back from them, I don't miss out on Digital SF.

I have other works I can try to finish up, but it's kind of, well, slow right now. I picked up an old novel project and have been working on revising it from past to present tense. Makes it more suspenseful, especially when I surprise the protagonist.
Michael Beers

Patty

Postby Patty » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Overnight, I finally received confirmation that I'm now a full SFWA member. Yay!
This Peaceful State of War - WOTF 27 (1st place second quarter 2010)

http://pattyjansen.com/
http://pattyjansen.com/blog

Ambassador Series, Icefire Trilogy, Return of the Aghyrians series, ISF/Allion word

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Patty wrote:Overnight, I finally received confirmation that I'm now a full SFWA member. Yay!

YEEEEHAAAAAAAA, Patty!

We'll miss you in the contest (I presume this marks your last quarter, yes?), but that's fantastic news! I'm envious.

NNiNN

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Dude, Patty won and her story is in the last anthology :) So she hasn't submitted in a while :)

I'll be SFWA qualified in Sept, I think, but not pro-ed out yet (one more SFWA qualifying sale needed for me, so I got time as long as new markets keep buying me and the old ones don't, hehe)

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Patty wrote:Overnight, I finally received confirmation that I'm now a full SFWA member. Yay!

Big Congratulations to you, Patty! :)

(And -- heehee -- I get to go down as a footnote-o'-fame as probably at least one of her "early illustrators" !!! Which is -- y'know -- preferable to being one of her "late" illustrators! Ha!

How's that for a story idea? A writer of cursed stories whose illustrators are all unknowingly doomed to get sucked into the fantasy world the story creates? :twisted: )

Patty

Postby Patty » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:03 pm

LOL, Scott, you'll get marooned on a rainforest planet that has periodic crazy fires ;-)

Ambassador Series, Icefire Trilogy, Return of the Aghyrians series, ISF/Allion word

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Patty wrote:LOL, Scott, you'll get marooned on a rainforest planet that has periodic crazy fires ;-)

I'd have a problem with the burning butterflies in the picture too:

Burning butterflies, there's no way to help them; what are you gonna do ... throw them on the ground and stomp out the flames? :?

vanaaron

Postby vanaaron » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:27 pm

I just sold a story called "Random Fire" to Abyss & Apex. This story has a bit of a gimmick to it, such that it could only be published on-line.

Abyss & Apex requested a series of three rewrites before buying it, which was a little exasperating, but the story improved significantly as a result, so now I'm just glad they had that much patience with me.

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:52 pm

W00t! Abyss & Apex is one of the few semi-pro markets I sub to. They are always great with personal rejections and publish really cool stories. Can't wait to read it! Congrats :)

Patty

Postby Patty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:54 pm

Congrats, Aaron.

As aside, I've pretty much given up on A&A. I love the market, but each time I submit something, they um and err about it for nine months and always reject it. Yeah, yeah, I know that means I'm close, but I'm getting sick of it. Meh.

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Congrats Aaron. I will have to see if I can find a copy to read it.

As for me, I haven't sold a story yet, despite my 8 day review at Asimov. But, at least it's telling me I'm on the right track. (Especially when at day 52, I see on duotrope someone got a rejection who lasted 50 days).

I outlasted another writer at a publisher! YAY!
Michael Beers

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:44 am

vanaaron wrote:I just sold a story called "Random Fire" to Abyss & Apex. This story has a bit of a gimmick to it, such that it could only be published on-line.

Definitely congrats to you, Aaron! And if I haven't already said it, luv'd THE DUALIST in #27 ! Great set up for a very touching ending!

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:03 am

Congrats, Aaron!

WriteToLive wrote:Congrats Aaron. I will have to see if I can find a copy to read it.

As for me, I haven't sold a story yet, despite my 8 day review at Asimov. But, at least it's telling me I'm on the right track. (Especially when at day 52, I see on duotrope someone got a rejection who lasted 50 days).

Personally I've never put much store by the length of time a publisher holds your piece, especially at this time of year. Holidays, illness, technical problems, printer deadlines, a sudden demand for the editor's attention elsewhere. Anything can have delayed a single piece.

I have a piece at Asimov's right now too. It's been there 47 days when the average return time is said to be 32 days. It went "Under Review" only last night I noticed. I suspect it's just a slow time of year.

But I'll eat my hat if Ms Williams is seriously considering it as I sent it out far too soon, it just isn't right. I'm kicking myself. :evil: I'm revising it properly now and will probably submit it to Q4 here when it comes back.

But of course I could be wrong and you could be right. Maybe being under review for that long means something. I wish you luck, whatever. :)
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:34 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:Congrats, Aaron!

WriteToLive wrote:Congrats Aaron. I will have to see if I can find a copy to read it.

Personally I've never put much store by the length of time a publisher holds your piece, especially at this time of year. Holidays, illness, technical problems, printer deadlines, a sudden demand for the editor's attention elsewhere. Anything can have delayed a single piece.

I have a piece at Asimov's right now too. It's been there 47 days when the average return time is said to be 32 days. It went "Under Review" only last night I noticed. I suspect it's just a slow time of year.

But I'll eat my hat if Ms Williams is seriously considering it as I sent it out far too soon, it just isn't right. I'm kicking myself. :evil: I'm revising it properly now and will probably submit it to Q4 here when it comes back.

But of course I could be wrong and you could be right. Maybe being under review for that long means something. I wish you luck, whatever. :)

Well, I saw the 50 day review when mine was at 52. But, my story was there about 2 more days before I finally got a rejection letter.

Yes, Asimov's been moving rather slow. That's why I checked Duotrope often. See what was going on.

But, at least if I outlasted another author, it's telling me they're at least looking at my stories with a bit more seriousness...or I could be close to hitting what the market wants.
Michael Beers

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”