Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
gower21

Re: Success!

Postby gower21 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Alex: Yikes! Your story is part of a series too?? I'm so in for it.

Your plan sounds like good marketing. Have you sent around the two flash stories yet? I guess that is just my money brain talking trying to get as much out of a story before sending it off for free. Although my cheap skate part wants you to post them up for free so I can read them.

I've been working on a series too (urban fantasy) and I'm curious over different marketing set ups. I might do the first three stories each 99cents, also a package of all three for $1.99 (weird that I would make more off of $1.99 than three at .99cents) I thought about putting up the best of my humor stories that get the highest hits/emails from readers from my blog for free as a package with a teaser from my short story series...but I don't see the connect between what I write on my blog to what the series is about. It is not even the same market. I'm sooo going way off topic with this comment, but I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm curious over each persons marketing ideas. I like the idea of giving something for free so people will get a sample and see if they like it before trying the first purchase.

Martin: That sounds really cool. I think I remember Eliza from the other story (bartender). She was only in there briefly right, I'm going to have to go back and re-read it now. I like your idea of the stories around the bar thing you have going. I think I said it before, but kind of like a futuristic Cheers. Loved that show...

Edited to add: I just read your other post above just as I was posting this one. What do you mean that nothing happens? are you talking about at a plot level, characters, ect?

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:09 pm

gower21 wrote:I've been working on a series too (urban fantasy) and I'm curious over different marketing set ups. I might do the first three stories each 99cents, also a package of all three for $1.99 (weird that I would make more off of $1.99 than three at .99cents)

That's not too far off from what Dean Wesley Smith recommends. I think he mentioned $3.99 for 5 stories. If I get around to self-pub, I'm going to start by following Dean's advice, and then experiment if I see opportunities.

I like the idea of giving something for free so people will get a sample and see if they like it before trying the first purchase.

Of course, with a novel, Kindle has free samples built in. And you can probably do the same with a story collection. Not sure of a good way to do a free sample with a single story.

Edited to add: I just read your other post above just as I was posting this one. What do you mean that nothing happens? are you talking about at a plot level, characters, ect?

At a plot level. It's hard to explain without both spoiling it and also weakening it, but there are no explosions, no one is ever in danger, and there's no conflict other than the protagonist striving toward multiple goals. And that's intentional, as I hope the story makes clear.

IGMS has it right now. I like to think most SF readers will sympathize with the protagonist, so I have my fingers crossed.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:02 pm

At a plot level. It's hard to explain without both spoiling it and also weakening it, but there are no explosions, no one is ever in danger, and there's no conflict other than the protagonist striving toward multiple goals. And that's intentional, as I hope the story makes clear.

IGMS has it right now. I like to think most SF readers will sympathize with the protagonist, so I have my fingers crossed.

Ok- I understand about not spoiling it. See, my first story I wrote had no conflict, but it was because I didn't know what I was doing at first. You don't strike me as that type of writer, so I would just have to trust you did something different intentionally. Risks sometimes pan out in writing and sometimes don't. I hope yours pans out so we can get your story.

I know the novel and short stories all have free samples on at least the kindle...not sure how a free story would work out either. I see it more as a marketing thing to get people to download a story in part of a series to see if they liked that setting/character/world. Not sure if it is a smart idea though...and I'm a techno idiot- so I don't know how the whole smashwords thing works either....if you have to pay for it? I'm guessing no...based on DWS' blog posts. He makes it sound so easy. This is a long ways off for me- After I've made sales or at least improved to a point it seems like a good avenue to take.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:13 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:If that trend continues, look for Vol. 4 in early-middle September. POD version toward the end of the month. My mom and sister have got their copies of Vol. 2 (but I'm still waiting for mine).

Or maybe not. They just changed their schedule to quarterly.

Digital Science Fiction wrote:This year Anthology 3 will be published in August, as planned. Anthology 4 will be published in October, for the fourth quarter 2011. Thereafter Anthology 5 will be January 2012… and so on. We will at this time continue the ten story format, so the actual anthologies will be the same.

We’re excited about this schedule change because it will allow us to focus on two important elements. First, the quality of the books, which so far are excellent but there’s always room for improvement and the need to guard against letting things slide. Second, promotion of the books already published. The monthly schedule was not allowing for a sufficient amount of time to promote one anthology before the second and third etc. started taking up all of our time. That’s not good.

I think that second point is pretty accurate. I barely finished Vol. 1 when it was time for Vol. 2. Hardly enough time to build up any promotional momentum. It's an interesting difference between a regularly published anthology and a magazine. With an anthology, you want each volume to stand on its own, and sell on its own. In a sense, every volume is a publication. But with a magazine, each issue is just an issue. As editor and publisher, you do your best with every issue, but you don't necessarily promote each issue as an event in itself. It's a piece of a larger continuity; and when it's gone, it's gone, and you move on to the next issue. You might promote special issues (theme issues, double-sized issues, etc.), but you mostly promote the magazine as a whole. At Digital, they're trying to promote each volume in its own right.

NNiNN

kyle

Postby kyle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:I think that second point is pretty accurate. I barely finished Vol. 1 when it was time for Vol. 2. Hardly enough time to build up any promotional momentum. It's an interesting difference between a regularly published anthology and a magazine. With an anthology, you want each volume to stand on its own, and sell on its own. In a sense, every volume is a publication. But with a magazine, each issue is just an issue. As editor and publisher, you do your best with every issue, but you don't necessarily promote each issue as an event in itself. It's a piece of a larger continuity; and when it's gone, it's gone, and you move on to the next issue. You might promote special issues (theme issues, double-sized issues, etc.), but you mostly promote the magazine as a whole. At Digital, they're trying to promote each volume in its own right.

I'm actually glad to hear they're going quarterly. We authors got an e-mail this morning that Vol. 3 is going to be delayed (for entirely understandable reasons which I don't feel I'm at liberty to disclose), but is still scheduled for August, and that made me very concerned about their ability to maintain the monthly schedule going forward. Since one of their stated goals is to be a SFWA-qualifying market, maintaining a regular publication schedule is important, and even though it means less Digital Science Fiction per year, I'm glad they're scaling back rather than risking a snowball effect of missed publication dates.

AdamP

Postby AdamP » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Hey all, I just got word that I sold my WotF workshop "24 hour" story to Digital Science Fiction! It will appear in Vol. 5 in January 2012. Hard to believe a story I wrote in one day (and over 7300 words) actually sold! Even more amazing because other stories I've spent much more time on have gone nowhere. Maybe I need to crank out all my stories in less than a day...
http://www.adamperin.com

Q42010 WotF 3rd Place Winner

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Congratulations, Adam! Welcome to the Digital fold!

And Dean Wesley Smith would approve of your theory.

NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:40 pm

AdamP wrote:Hey all, I just got word that I sold my WotF workshop "24 hour" story to Digital Science Fiction! It will appear in Vol. 5 in January 2012. Hard to believe a story I wrote in one day (and over 7300 words) actually sold! Even more amazing because other stories I've spent much more time on have gone nowhere. Maybe I need to crank out all my stories in less than a day...

Hey, your the guy who wrote Medic! right? oh Digital Science Fiction just became my favorite publication. I was so impressed with their second volume (which I picked up to read some stories from others on the board) - seems like they know what they are doing!

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:18 pm

AdamP wrote:Hey all, I just got word that I sold my WotF workshop "24 hour" story to Digital Science Fiction! It will appear in Vol. 5 in January 2012. Hard to believe a story I wrote in one day (and over 7300 words) actually sold! Even more amazing because other stories I've spent much more time on have gone nowhere. Maybe I need to crank out all my stories in less than a day...

Excellent! congrats Adam! wotf007
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Alex Kane

Postby Alex Kane » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Congrats! That makes, what, five or six of us forum junkies in Digital SF? Must be something in the water...

kyle

Postby kyle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Congrats, Adam! One of my associates over on the SFWA boards also just announced that he'll be in Volume 5, so you'll have some good company.

Brad R. Torgersen
Location: Wasatch Front, United States, Planet Earth, Sol System

Postby Brad R. Torgersen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:24 pm

wotf010

Terrific sale, Adam! WOO HOO!
Coming up: "Life Flight," in Analog magazine
Coming up: "The Chaplain's War," from Baen Books
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Nebula, Hugo, and Campbell nominee.

Alex Kane

Postby Alex Kane » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:12 pm

kyle wrote:

Congrats, Adam! One of my associates over on the SFWA boards also just announced that he'll be in Volume 5, so you'll have some good company.

Any idea how to determine whether an accepted story will appear in Volume 4 or Volume 5? My acceptance email didn't specify.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:38 am

Alex Kane wrote:Any idea how to determine whether an accepted story will appear in Volume 4 or Volume 5? My acceptance email didn't specify.

Best just to email Mike and ask. They're pretty busy, so his responses right now range from half a day to several days. With Vol. 2, my story was accepted, and then 5 days later I had the contract. With Vol. 4, it has been almost 3 weeks since my acceptance letter, and I still haven't seen the contract. They're swamped!

I only know my story will be in Vol. 4 because of a separate email discussion with Mike; and even then, it's not 100% set in stone.

NNiNN

kyle

Postby kyle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:49 am

You know, with all these folks selling to Digital Science Fiction, I guess it's time to ask this question: Has anyone queried to see how the contest views pro-rate sales to markets that are not yet SFWA-qualifying? My own reading of the rules would be that they count as sales for contest purposes, but I know others on here have mentioned "SFWA-qualifying" as the criteria for proing out...

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:02 am

kyle wrote:You know, with all these folks selling to Digital Science Fiction, I guess it's time to ask this question: Has anyone queried to see how the contest views pro-rate sales to markets that are not yet SFWA-qualifying? My own reading of the rules would be that they count as sales for contest purposes, but I know others on here have mentioned "SFWA-qualifying" as the criteria for proing out...

Although I'm by no means any sort of authority, the official rules on the website state:
Professional publication is deemed to be payment, and at least 5,000 copies, or 5,000 hits.

This is considerably different from "SFWA-qualifying," which I've only ever seen here on the forums, and which would seem to me to be a much less restrictive set of rules. Technically speaking, if you've self-published a novel that's sold 5000 words you're out of luck by the official rules. (although if you can sell a self-pub novel that well, you probably don't need the contest)

Clarification would be much appreciated.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:53 am

I don't really think clarification is needed. I think you identified the key criteria: payment, plus a circulation of 5,000.

SFWA-qualifying is less stringent in some ways (only 1,000 circulation, not 5,000), more stringent in others (must have a consistent publication schedule).

NNiNN

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:13 am

Joni has made it utterly clear to me that SFWA-qualified markets only are the ones that count.

Here is her email when I asked:

Correct, only the SFWA qualified count as pro sales. So you are still good to enter.

Best,

Joni Labaqui

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:28 pm

izanobu wrote:Joni has made it utterly clear to me that SFWA-qualified markets only are the ones that count.

Here is her email when I asked:

Correct, only the SFWA qualified count as pro sales. So you are still good to enter.

Best,

Joni Labaqui

Works for me. But why in the heck don't they update the contest rules to make that more clear...?

Thanks, iza! :)
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

kyle

Postby kyle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks, Annie!

Of course, this could result in a sudden pro-out when newer publications qualify and therefore previously published material becomes SFWA-eligible, but I guess that's a small price to pay.

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:00 pm

You mean when like when Daily SF gets SFWA-qualified next month (in all probability anyway)? wotf008

kyle

Postby kyle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:17 pm

izanobu wrote:You mean when like when Daily SF gets SFWA-qualified next month (in all probability anyway)? wotf008

Yes, exactly like that. And, FWIW, I'll miss you... wotf019

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:42 pm

I ain't out yet wotf034 I have to make one more SFWA-qualified sale.

Brad R. Torgersen
Location: Wasatch Front, United States, Planet Earth, Sol System

Postby Brad R. Torgersen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:38 pm

izanobu wrote:I ain't out yet wotf034 I have to make one more SFWA-qualified sale.

wotf053

Hope is alive! Hope is alive! Now watch, you'll take 3rd place at the 11th hour, 59th minute...
Coming up: "Life Flight," in Analog magazine
Coming up: "The Chaplain's War," from Baen Books
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Nebula, Hugo, and Campbell nominee.

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:48 am

You just never know who's looking.

My third written story, my first sale, in a small limited edition anthology and I made the list.

"Year’s Best Australian Fantasy and Horror: Recommended Reading List" 2010.

Steve Cameron, “Ghost Of The Heart” Festive Fear

I'm still grinning,

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:23 am

That's one to be proud of, Steve! Huge congratulations! wotf007
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:41 am

thanks Soul....

As I said, you never know who's watching. I've received congratulatory emails and texts from a couple of people I didn't expect.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:14 am

Very cool, Steve! wotf007

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:27 am

wotf015 Awesome!
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

Alex Kane