Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
User avatar
klaatu
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Lincoln, UK
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby klaatu » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Late last year, I was invited to submit a story to an Anthology being launched tomorrow. It's short - even by my standards. Each story had to be 1500 words and was driven by a different line from the Christmas Carol "Deck The Halls." I received the second last line, "Sing we joyous, all together."

As part of the launch, some of the stories are being posted online, one per hour over a 24 hour period - each one for 24 hours. My story, Softly Sing the Stars, is up at 7:00 am, on Wednesday, 18th July (Australian Eastern Time.)

On The U.S. West Coast, that'll be Tuesday, 17 July 2012 at 2:00:00 PM

On the U.S. East Coast, that'll be Tuesday, 17 July 2012 at 5:00:00 PM

In the U.K, that'll be Tuesday, 17 July 2012 at 10:00:00 PM


If anyone feels like having a look, it'll be up at:

http://literarymixtapes.com/2012/07/18/ ... the-stars/

cheers

Steve

(edited to clarify times)
Last edited by klaatu on Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

User avatar
Rebecca Birch
Posts: 1735
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:38 am
Location: Washington (state)
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:52 pm

That sounds really cool. Congratulations, Steve. I'm looking forward to reading it!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

User avatar
Rebecca Birch
Posts: 1735
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:38 am
Location: Washington (state)
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks, Steve, Amanda and trdixon!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

User avatar
gower21
Posts: 2008
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby gower21 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Congrats to Steve, Rebecca and Alex (whenever he can announce the publication that was hinted at over in the Q2 thread....). I can't wait to read your stories!

katsincommand
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby katsincommand » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:09 am

Cute Conga Rats. Hee.

Alex & Rebecca - wonderful news. Conga Rats! ;D
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

User avatar
E.CaimanSands
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:40 am

Congratulations, Rebecca! Now where is my dancing alligator animation? wotf012
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Strycher
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: GA, USA
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby Strycher » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:46 am

Congrats Steve, Rebecca and Alex!

User avatar
WriteToLive
Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:16 am
Location: Engaged in Ohio
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby WriteToLive » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:50 am

Wow, I've missed out on so much. Congrsts everyone.
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

austinDm
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Success!

Postby austinDm » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Congrats Alex, Rebecca, and Steve!

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1609
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:17 am

I heartily agree with the grats before me!

And thanks Dantzel. I appreciate the read.

D
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

User avatar
soulmirror
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:34 am
Location: USA

Re: Success!

Postby soulmirror » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:57 am

I too am woefully amiss and tardy at wishing folks congratulations! But congrats to everyone's success! This forum is getting, y'know, Successful !!! wotf008
Image
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

User avatar
MJNL
Posts: 1450
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:08 pm
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby MJNL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:10 am

Congrats you guys!
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

User avatar
klaatu
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Lincoln, UK
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby klaatu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:35 pm

klaatu wrote:Late last year, I was invited to submit a story to an Anthology being launched tomorrow. It's short - even by my standards. Each story had to be 1500 words and was driven by a different line from the Christmas Carol "Deck The Halls." I received the second last line, "Sing we joyous, all together."

As part of the launch, some of the stories are being posted online, one per hour over a 24 hour period - each one for 24 hours. My story, Softly Sing the Stars, is up at 7:00 am, on Wednesday, 18th July (Australian Eastern Time.)

On The U.S. West Coast, that'll be Tuesday, 17 July 2012 at 2:00:00 PM

On the U.S. East Coast, that'll be Tuesday, 17 July 2012 at 5:00:00 PM

In the U.K, that'll be Tuesday, 17 July 2012 at 10:00:00 PM


If anyone feels like having a look, it'll be up at:

http://literarymixtapes.com/2012/07/18/ ... the-stars/

cheers

Steve

(edited to clarify times)



This story is currently online for 24 hours. Feel free to have a look. It's only 1500 words.

http://literarymixtapes.com/2012/07/18/ ... the-stars/

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

User avatar
Rebecca Birch
Posts: 1735
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:38 am
Location: Washington (state)
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Wow, Steve. That was really powerful. I loved it. Creative and moving.

wotf010
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

User avatar
klaatu
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Lincoln, UK
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby klaatu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks, Rebecca.

I appreciate it.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

george nik.
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:10 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby george nik. » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:05 pm

klaatu wrote:
klaatu wrote:Late last year, I was invited to submit a story to an Anthology being launched tomorrow. It's short - even by my standards. Each story had to be 1500 words and was driven by a different line from the Christmas Carol "Deck The Halls." I received the second last line, "Sing we joyous, all together."

As part of the launch, some of the stories are being posted online, one per hour over a 24 hour period - each one for 24 hours. My story, Softly Sing the Stars, is up at 7:00 am, on Wednesday, 18th July (Australian Eastern Time.)

On The U.S. West Coast, that'll be Tuesday, 17 July 2012 at 2:00:00 PM

On the U.S. East Coast, that'll be Tuesday, 17 July 2012 at 5:00:00 PM

In the U.K, that'll be Tuesday, 17 July 2012 at 10:00:00 PM


If anyone feels like having a look, it'll be up at:

http://literarymixtapes.com/2012/07/18/ ... the-stars/

cheers

Steve

(edited to clarify times)



This story is currently online for 24 hours. Feel free to have a look. It's only 1500 words.

http://literarymixtapes.com/2012/07/18/ ... the-stars/

Steve


That's a nice story, Steve!
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

User avatar
klaatu
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Lincoln, UK
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby klaatu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks, George.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

User avatar
gower21
Posts: 2008
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby gower21 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:50 pm

I just checked it out. WOW! I loved it. The whole stroke angle and hearing music: perfect. Great short story, hard to make something that short so moving and interesting in a stick-with-you kind of way, but you did it :)

User avatar
klaatu
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Lincoln, UK
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby klaatu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks, Tina

I appreciate it.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

austinDm
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Success!

Postby austinDm » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Beautiful, Steve! I especially liked how you gave all the carols double meanings with what was going on in the story.

User avatar
dantzel
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby dantzel » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:45 pm

A great read, Steve! I liked your writing and thought you had some lovely lines in there, but this was one of my favorites: "like a demented traffic cop in slow motion" wotf019

Thanks for a story well-written.
Last edited by dantzel on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

User avatar
klaatu
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Lincoln, UK
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby klaatu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks, Austin and Dantzel.

I really appreciate it.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

User avatar
WriteToLive
Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:16 am
Location: Engaged in Ohio
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby WriteToLive » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:43 am

Wow, that was a great story. Very well done.
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

User avatar
klaatu
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Lincoln, UK
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby klaatu » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:02 am

Cheers, Michael.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

Strycher
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: GA, USA
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby Strycher » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:17 am

wotf006 Congrats, Steve!

User avatar
klaatu
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Lincoln, UK
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby klaatu » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks, Krystal.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

User avatar
vanaaron
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Denver
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby vanaaron » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:48 pm

wotf054 A long and depressing streak of rejections for me has ended in style:

My story "The Long View" just sold to The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction.

My goal since WOTF27 has been to sell a couple stories to Asimov's or F&SF, so I guess I'm halfway to having to come up with a new goal . . .

User avatar
Alex Kane
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:17 pm
Location: Galesburg, Illinois
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby Alex Kane » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Heck yeah! wotf010

Killer sale, sir. Congratulations!
Image

User avatar
dantzel
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby dantzel » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:12 pm

vanaaron wrote:wotf054 A long and depressing streak of rejections for me has ended in style:

My story "The Long View" just sold to The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction.

My goal since WOTF27 has been to sell a couple stories to Asimov's or F&SF, so I guess I'm halfway to having to come up with a new goal . . .


Wow - that's a tough market to crack! Well done!
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

User avatar
klaatu
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Lincoln, UK
Contact:

Re: Success!

Postby klaatu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:46 pm

Has anyone posted this is any of the threads?

I haven't seen it.

Roy Hardin - published finalist in Vol. 28.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oYXUGwZ8tE


Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au


Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests