Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
Brad R. Torgersen
Location: Wasatch Front, United States, Planet Earth, Sol System

Re: Success!

Postby Brad R. Torgersen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:28 am

dantzel wrote:I made my first professional sale about 45 minutes ago! (Technically my first sale ever, since the Birthing Fire fiasco resulted in no money, just publication.)

Details are forthcoming. wotf006

wotf054

Excellent news, Dantzel! Three cheers!

wotf007
Coming up: "Life Flight," in Analog magazine
Coming up: "The Chaplain's War," from Baen Books
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Nebula, Hugo, and Campbell nominee.

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:00 am

dantzel wrote:I made my first professional sale about 45 minutes ago! (Technically my first sale ever, since the Birthing Fire fiasco resulted in no money, just publication.)

wotf054

wotf010 Congrats Dantzel!

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:11 am

Hmm, I guess this makes me an award-winning writer? wotf011
I got a GeekDad Golden Bots Award for my Pyrrh CCD series: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2013/01/th ... s-of-2012/ (down there under Erik's picks for best series!)

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 am

izanobu wrote:Hmm, I guess this makes me an award-winning writer? wotf011
I got a GeekDad Golden Bots Award for my Pyrrh CCD series: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2013/01/th ... s-of-2012/ (down there under Erik's picks for best series!)

WOOT! wotf010
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:16 am

Grats Dantzel and Annie! wotf007 wotf010
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:26 am

wotf054

wotf010 YAY! Congrats Dantzel!

wotf006 Congrats!

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:52 am

Very good, congrats!
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:53 am

wotf054

Way to go!
wotf009
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:50 am

wotf054

WOOHOO!!! Hooray!

wotf010
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:52 am

Congratulations! You rock!

wotf009
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 am

I came here to see what magazine Dantzel sold too (still under wraps I guess and Congrats again!) and I see more news in the success thread. Happy day! Congtrats to both Dantzel and Annie!!

Alex Kane

Postby Alex Kane » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 am

Huge congrats, to both of you!

Nothing quite like that fabled "first pro sale." Except maybe getting some serious lovin' from the folks at Wired.

Jackie B.

Postby Jackie B. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:04 am

Congrats Annie!!
Finalist: Q3 V29
Semi-Finalist: Q1 V30
HM x 3

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 am

Woot, guys! Awesomeness.
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

dantzel

Postby dantzel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:46 am

Okay, I received and signed the contract a few minutes ago (just to play it safe, I suppose. I don't know how most people feel about when to announce), so here's the spiel:

It's for my flash story "The Business is Dying" to Penumbra for their Zombie Apocalypse issue, coming out in February. Celina's email was AWESOME. Here's the fun part from it: she said that the 7 stories were chosen because they 'superseded the norm for this particular theme--something that is really difficult to do with zombies (after all, their vocabulary IS rather limited).' AND there were over 600 stories submitted for this issue, with 41 stories being considered in the final round. 6 stories and 1 poem out of 600 submissions... So for Preston and Alistair and anyone else I forgot about that submitted to this issue, this was definitely tough competition.

I feel obliged to make the joke that I am the 1%... of people whose story made it through the rounds at Penumbra. wotf006 There, I said it. Now the urge can go away.
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

liz

Postby liz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:23 pm

dantzel wrote:Okay, I received and signed the contract a few minutes ago (just to play it safe, I suppose. I don't know how most people feel about when to announce), so here's the spiel:

It's for my flash story "The Business is Dying" to Penumbra for their Zombie Apocalypse issue, coming out in February. Celina's email was AWESOME. Here's the fun part from it: she said that the 7 stories were chosen because they 'superseded the norm for this particular theme--something that is really difficult to do with zombies (after all, their vocabulary IS rather limited).' AND there were over 600 stories submitted for this issue, with 41 stories being considered in the final round. 6 stories and 1 poem out of 600 submissions... So for Preston and Alistair and anyone else I forgot about that submitted to this issue, this was definitely tough competition.

I feel obliged to make the joke that I am the 1%... of people whose story made it through the rounds at Penumbra. wotf006 There, I said it. Now the urge can go away.

Yes, zombies! I'm excited to read it when it comes out wotf007

Fobok1

Postby Fobok1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Very cool! Congratulations!
HM - Q4, vol 28 (Now available in ebook!)
HM - Q1, vol 30
Check out my blog!

liz

Postby liz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:26 pm

Woohoo! That's great wotf010

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Grats Dantzel!!! I enjoyed that story, I'm glad to see it made it through!
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:35 pm

dantzel wrote:Okay, I received and signed the contract a few minutes ago (just to play it safe, I suppose. I don't know how most people feel about when to announce), so here's the spiel:

Hooray! I subbed too. Zombies are so hard to me. Glad someone on the board got in! Congrats on a job well done Mrs. One Percent :)

AlistairKimble

Postby AlistairKimble » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Congratulations! I was trying to submit a story for that issue, but it quickly ballooned to around 7,500 words--well above their limit. Now I have to find another market for it. lol But that is awesome, I'm so happy someone from the forums made it!

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Yay Dantzel!

preston

Postby preston » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Congratulations Dantzel! So you're the one who edged me out. wotf011 I made it to a "later round," which was much better than last month's straight reject. I'm very happy for you and can't wait to read your story. Great job!
Preston Dennett
(HM x 4)

dantzel

Postby dantzel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks guys!

And congrats to Annie, since my fingers forgot to include this earlier!! I love what I've read of your stuff so far, so I'm sure this is quite well deserved!
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Congratulations Dantzel and Annie!! wotf010
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:15 am

Interesting stats there for me considering my dodgy alligator flash story made it to the "final round" of the animals issue some months back.

It's time I sent them something else. wotf024

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:53 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:

Interesting stats there for me considering my dodgy alligator flash story made it to the "final round" of the animals issue some months back.

Got any space opera?
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

soulmirror

Postby soulmirror » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Big victory laps of Success to both of you, Dantzel and Annie !!! wotf008
'The only tyrant we accept in this world is the still voice within.' -Gandhi
IOTF:Winner Q1 vol.27 (3x Finalist); WOTF: HM x2

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:

Got any space opera?

Hmm, I have a story I want to send them. I was thinking it could loosely fit the "lost" theme, and even more the "ocean" theme. Maybe it could fit the space opera theme too. wotf006 Or maybe not. I'm not even entirely sure what space opera is though I tend to think it's BIG and this story isn't exactly galaxy spanning. It's set on one little moon, and rather parochial. It is quite soap opera-like though. wotf006

AlistairKimble

Postby AlistairKimble » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:22 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:Hmm, I have a story I want to send them. I was thinking it could loosely fit the "lost" theme, and even more the "ocean" theme. Maybe it could fit the space opera theme too. wotf006 Or maybe not. I'm not even entirely sure what space opera is though I tend to think it's BIG and this story isn't exactly galaxy spanning. It's set on one little moon, and rather parochial. It is quite soap opera-like though. wotf006

I think that qualifies as Space Opera these days. Why not try it? wotf008

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”