Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
Kary English

Re: Success!

Postby Kary English » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:12 am

Got an email from DSF on Tuesday, and they're buying a flash piece of mine. Even better, this makes my third pro sale, so I get my Active SFWA membership without burning any of the remaining slots in my WOTF eligibility. BONUS!

(I'd been waiting for the actual contract before I posted, but I min-maxed and put all my patience in Q1.)
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:27 am

Congrats, Kary! I also saw it on the Grinder, earlier!

Btw, are WOTF ineligibility criteria different than SFWA membership requirements? I've read a few times before that flash pieces don't count as pro sales for WOTF -- but they do count for SFWA membership?
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:57 am

george nik. wrote:Congrats, Kary! I also saw it on the Grinder, earlier!

Btw, are WOTF ineligibility criteria different than SFWA membership requirements? I've read a few times before that flash pieces don't count as pro sales for WOTF -- but they do count for SFWA membership?

SFWA is weird about it. Or is going to be being weird about it soon. Or something. I think the main sticking point is the monetary value. The minimum payment per piece has to be $50, and the minimum total payment for all three has to be $250. I think DSF pays highly enough that it shouldn't matter, though, as long as the other two pieces paid highly?
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:59 am

In a distinctly non-spec-fic area of things, I was awarded a $25 honorable mention in The Haiku Foundation's "HaikuNow!" award. This is an international contest, albeit a fairly new one (in its fourth year), so Huzzah!
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 am

@ Stewart - Huzzah! Victory is yours!

@ SFWA vs WOTF

Under current SFWA rules, you need three pro sales totaling $250 or more where no single payment was less than $50. Flash counts if it's sold to a pro market and you're paid $50 or more. I'm not so clear in the new rules that take effect once the reincorporation is complete, but there's something about 10,000 words at pro rates and flash has to be at least $60 to count. I think you still need three pro sales, tho. I don't think a single 17,000 word novelette would do it.

Flash doesn't count at all in WOTF, no matter who/where/for what price you sell it.

Technically, one could get into SFWA with something like 11 pieces of flash as long as the pay rate was high enough.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 am

Kary English wrote:Under current SFWA rules, you need three pro sales totaling $250 or more where no single payment was less than $50. Flash counts if it's sold to a pro market and you're paid $50 or more. I'm not so clear in the new rules that take effect once the reincorporation is complete, but there's something about 10,000 words at pro rates and flash has to be at least $60 to count. I think you still need three pro sales, tho. I don't think a single 17,000 word novelette would do it.

Flash doesn't count at all in WOTF, no matter who/where/for what price you sell it.

Technically, one could get into SFWA with something like 11 pieces of flash as long as the pay rate was high enough.

Wouldn't you only need 5, at $50 each? (Since that seems to be the minimum per piece, and you'd have to sell 5 to make up the $250)

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:16 pm

s_c_baker wrote:
Wouldn't you only need 5, at $50 each? (Since that seems to be the minimum per piece, and you'd have to sell 5 to make up the $250)

I think five would work under the current rules. Under the upcoming rules, I think you'd need 10 or 11 to meet the 10,000 words part of things.

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Kary English wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:

I think five would work under the current rules. Under the upcoming rules, I think you'd need 10 or 11 to meet the 10,000 words part of things.

Does it matter how many people read it? In the past, I thought they cared about the number of readers of said publication, pro rate or not. That's why they had the list of approved markets. Is that changing as well?
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 pm

For SFWA? Yes, it still has to be to an approved market, and I think the minimum payment is going up to $60 to reflect the new 6 cents a word floor.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Congratulations Kary and Stewart!

All these rules are too confusing to me. Much easier to write long pieces, where the rules are more clear.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Conga rats! Stewart and Kary. wotf010
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

preston

Postby preston » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:02 pm

Congrats Stuart and Kary. Those sales just keep coming. And thanks for the info on SFWA qualifications. Interesting stuff.

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Kary English wrote:For SFWA? Yes, it still has to be to an approved market, and I think the minimum payment is going up to $60 to reflect the new 6 cents a word floor.

I assume this is the same for WOTF. Thus Martin officially pro-ing out when Galaxy's Edge became approved with SWFA? My brain is always fuzzy on this part of the rule.
Thomas K Carpenter

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:18 pm

You know, I'm kinda fuzzy on what does and doesn't count for WOTF aside from the idea that flash never counts. I was surprised that you could pro out retroactively, like when GE attained its pro status. I guess I thought all sales going forward would count, but not the ones made before it was approved. Maybe I misunderstood the situation?

Anyhow, for WOTF, I just report every sale to Joni and I figure I'll let her tell me when I'm done. :)

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:22 pm

ThomasKCarpenter wrote:
Kary English wrote:For SFWA? Yes, it still has to be to an approved market, and I think the minimum payment is going up to $60 to reflect the new 6 cents a word floor.

I assume this is the same for WOTF. Thus Martin officially pro-ing out when Galaxy's Edge became approved with SWFA? My brain is always fuzzy on this part of the rule.

I don't have the link right now, but someone queried Joni, and she said that only SFWA markets count. Which was good for me, because that meant my two sales to Digital didn't count. They closed before they could qualify.

But I queried Joni regarding lengths, since the rules say "or more than one novelette". By SFWA terms, novelette means 7,500 to 17,500 words. I asked what novelette means for the contest, since other genres define the term differently; and her somewhat surprising answer was anything over 17,000 words, because that was the contest limit. Even though that's not the SFWA definition, it makes a certain sense: this is a short story contest, so they consider any eligible story to be a short story. This was also good for me, because my first sale to Analog was a novelette by SFWA standards, but a short story by contest standards.

I never heard the "Flash doesn't count for WotF" rule before, so I can't say where it comes from.

Frankly, the rules are a little fuzzy, and could use some clarification. For instance, "more than one novelette": does that mean two novelettes? Or does it mean one novelette plus one more sale of any length? I could make an argument either way. And the unusual definition of novelette also can confuse people, leading them to believe they're ineligible when they're not.

NNiNN

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Kary English wrote:You know, I'm kinda fuzzy on what does and doesn't count for WOTF aside from the idea that flash never counts. I was surprised that you could pro out retroactively, like when GE attained its pro status. I guess I thought all sales going forward would count, but not the ones made before it was approved. Maybe I misunderstood the situation?

Anyhow, for WOTF, I just report every sale to Joni and I figure I'll let her tell me when I'm done. :)

In my case, I kinda let Gardner make that decision for me. After the Year's Best sale, I contacted Joni and said, "Joni, I think this had better be my last quarter." She said technically that sale wouldn't count until July, when it would be published; but then I pointed out that Galaxy's Edge would probably become a pro market by then, which would also disqualify me. So we agreed Q1 would be my last quarter. If I'd really tried, I could've justified a Q2 entry up to when GE qualified; but that just felt wrong to me. I thought of myself as a pro, so it was time to move on.

NNiNN

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:45 am

I recently sold a story for the game Star Citizen. The first episode is up and it'll run on a weekly basis for a few months until it's done.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/13820-The-First-Run-Episode-One

It was really fun to write in someone else's universe, especially since so much of the canon is undecided. With fell swoops of the pen I got to put my mark on the universe. Too much fun. I loved writing the story, too, and they've asked me to do another one, which I'll get to after I finish my current novel. Plus, the rapid feedback on comments is a little overwhelming.

Oh, and if you look at the last Spectrum Dispatch, you'll find our own Marina J. Lostetter did the last one. I didn't notice that until I saw a "last year's WOTF winners update". Yay, Marina!
Thomas K Carpenter

gower21

Postby gower21 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:41 am

Very Awesome news all!!

Congrats to Kary on the DSF sale, to Stewart on the Haiku win, and to Thomas on the Star Citizen sale and offer to pen more!!

Ah, I love the success thread!

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:56 am

I'm almost certain someone e-mailed Joni once and she said flash fiction didn't count for contest purposes, but I can't find it anywhere in the forum.

Maybe it's just extrapolation on our behalf, since flash sales to markets that don't pay at least $50 won't even possibly count as SFWA qualifying.

To be frank, the rules on what counts as a DQing sale for WotF seem to be written more in sand than stone. Joni appears to like to err on the side of "let's not accidentally disqualify someone who is still a relative newbie" rather than on the side of "NO ENTRY FOR YOU."

Congrats on your sale to Star Citizen, Thomas! I e-mailed them back in January asking to submit but never heard back. Oh well!

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:20 am

Conga rats to Tom.

As for WotF rules, not that I care much about the details seeing as I reckon the world will have iced over before I pro out, but nevertheless I can't help feeling they need a new category for freaks of nature like Martin. Something like, "more than 3 short stories or more than one novelette or one novel or publication in Gardner Dozois' Year's Best or Hugo win." wotf013
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Congrats to Thomas! And yayyy for the success thread.

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:29 am

Congrats, Stewart and Thomas!
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:53 am

I've been behind on congratulating people here, but man I am so happy to see such fine people and writers getting ahead.
To all of you a heartfelt and sincere Congratulations.
wotf009
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

Always Adventure

Postby Always Adventure » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:10 am

Despite my limited fiction writing and WoTF experience, I recently sold one of my two rejections from the contest to Beneath Ceaseless Skies! It's only the third SF/F story I've tried writing in my adult life. Not quite sure how this happened, but I'm excited that it did.
2 x R (but one is now forthcoming in BCS!)

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:12 am

Always Adventure wrote:Despite my limited fiction writing and WoTF experience, I recently sold one of my two rejections from the contest to Beneath Ceaseless Skies! It's only the third SF/F story I've tried writing in my adult life. Not quite sure how this happened, but I'm excited that it did.

That's fabulous! Congratulations!

Also, if I missed anyone else in here, congratulations to all! I love the success thread.

wotf010
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:25 am

Always Adventure wrote:Despite my limited fiction writing and WoTF experience, I recently sold one of my two rejections from the contest to Beneath Ceaseless Skies! It's only the third SF/F story I've tried writing in my adult life. Not quite sure how this happened, but I'm excited that it did.

Woo hoo!! Go, you! BCS is one of my favorite markets. :)

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:50 am

Woah! wotf003

BCS is damn hard to break. 'grats on getting in! wotf010

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Congrats! I'd seen your announcement on the Grinder, but I admit I didn't remember you from the forum.

I've always wanted to sell a story to BCS -- though for some unknown reason I've never submitted to them until a couple of days ago. You'll be my inspiration wotf008
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

preston

Postby preston » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:03 pm

Congrats on the sale, Always Adventure. Pretty impressive for your third story ever. Impressive either way! wotf010

Always Adventure

Postby Always Adventure » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:27 am

Thank you everyone for the well wishes!

And congrats to all of you who made recent sales and to those who will undoubtedly make sales soon wotf007
2 x R (but one is now forthcoming in BCS!)

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”