Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
E.CaimanSands

Re: Success!

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:39 am

Outrageous brag post alert!

I've sold a story to Defying Doomsday, the anthology of "apocalypse-survival fiction with a focus on disabled characters." It's being issued by Twelfth Planet Press in Australia and its a pro-paying market and my longest sale yet--at 4200 words. It's even coming out in hardback. (Drool)

Best of all, fellow contributors include New York Times bestselling writer Seanan McGuire and 2014 Hugo winner John Chu.

Anyhow, having popped up out of nowhere and bragged a bit, I'll now make my excuses. It's true I don't come here much now. I gave some reasons why on my blog a little while ago. It's not primarily because of last year's Hugos (although it's related to that and that's a small part of the reason). Another reason is clearly since KD Wentworth passed away WotF is obviously a more difficult market for me so I don't find it very motivating anymore. And this forum is simply a drain on time too--I try to spend less time on Facebook as well. Nevertheless I reserve the right to visit for the occasional brag due to past history! wotf006

Ok, that's not quite true either. I wouldn't have bothered to come back even to brag about my latest sale if it hadn't been for the fact that the story in question is another of those WotF form rejection types. Said story, titled "In the Sky with Diamonds" was unchanged from the time it was rejected here at WotF to its current sale to the Defying Doomsday anthology. I hadn't changed even one word I'm pretty sure because it was also the only story I've ever written to receive a personal R from Clarkesworld magazine (it received the comment your story was "close"), so on that basis alone I was convinced it couldn't be that bad.

So yes, I thought I should come along to offer hope to the starving. Even if your story is form rejected here that doesn't necessarily mean it's total gator dung. Of course, there's a good chance it is total gator dung especially if every other top market form rejects it too. (We all have at least one or two of those, admit it. Don't we? Don't we? *shifty eyes*). But WotF is only one market. For a long time I didn't realize that. I understand the importance of matching stories to markets much better now, although unfortunately I'm still terrible at it. If I was better maybe I'd sell more! wotf019

Anyhow, that's it, I'm resubmerging into the swamp.

Later gators.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

liz

Postby liz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:34 am

Congratulations Elinor, that's exciting! And you're absolutely right, we should never take rejection from a single market as commentary on the quality of our work--or even from several markets. Everyone is looking for something, and if our work doesn't fit its not goin' in regardless of how well written it is. Thanks for coming back to share the good news wotf013

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:03 pm

What a relief! We thought you'd been .... You know. wotf011
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Ishmael wrote:What a relief! We thought you'd been .... You know. wotf011

Hahahaha! Lol. No. Not yet anyway. Not quite. Um. Excuse me, I need to, you know... run away! wotf019 wotf019 wotf019
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:40 pm

Congrats, Elinor! I saw your name pop up on the contents list and grinned a bit then.
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

preston

Postby preston » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:01 pm

Way to go, Elinor!
wotf010

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:17 am

Congrats!
I too had fears similar to Philip's. Relieved to know you were just being antisocial [cough] er, refraining from unproductive activities wotf008
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:19 am

Congrats, Elinor and Gator! wotf008
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:48 pm

I've sold a story to Defying Doomsday, the anthology of "apocalypse-survival fiction with a focus on disabled characters." It's being issued by Twelfth Planet Press in Australia and its a pro-paying market and my longest sale yet--at 4200 words. It's even coming out in hardback. (Drool)

Yeessss! wotf007

That's awesome news!
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:41 am

Great news!
Thanks for coming back to share. wotf009
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:05 pm

Hm. Another steampunk. Gallery of Curiosities has accepted my 6100 word Last of The Spice Schooners.

Maybe I should write more of these? wotf013

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:14 pm

Great news! Congrats.

I had a story accepted today as well at the Scarlet Leaf Review. It's good to get the first sale of the year wotf007

preston

Postby preston » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Way to go, Amoskalik & Ishmael. Looks like this year is going to be a productive one!

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Huzzah and huzzah again!
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:04 am

My word, you lot are attractive and successful, aren't you?

Congrats Elinor, Ishmael & amoskalik!
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:35 am

Double grats!

Steampunk it is, Ish.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:52 am

Thanks guys.

Congratulations Aaron. You're right it's good to be back under way.

Dustin I love writing steampunk but I seem to struggle with how much background my slush reader / editor can be expected to know. At least when I'm making up the world from scratch I can be pretty sure that if I haven't told the readers then they don't know it, but you can't even be sure of that. For example as a reader of historical tales or medieval fantasies I tend to be thrown right out of the story by anachronisms or other errors that most people probably don't even notice. (Of course very occasionally I am wrong!)

However, since everyone on the Forum knows everything about the French Revolution, you'll all be rushing out to place advance orders for:

Which is now available for pre-order, so that you can read my story Time's Winged Chariot. Ahem.

wotf013

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:57 am

Congrats, Philip!

amoskalik wrote:I had a story accepted today as well at the Scarlet Leaf Review. It's good to get the first sale of the year wotf007

And congrats, Aaron!
Incidentally, I also had a story accepted at the Scarlet Leaf Review yesterday. wotf008
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:01 pm

Bravo George!
wotf010
You guys were very fast off the mark. I hadn't even heard of this Review.

I would however like to draw attention to the even more remarkable speed of Gallery of Curiosities, who have contrived to go from Acceptance to Payment (via Contract Exchange) in under 24 hours. Should I write to The Times in the traditional way - Dear Sir, Is this a record?

Quite looking forward to the unusual experience of being podcast. Does anyone have experience of this?

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Congrats George!

I have a submission in to Curiosities. Maybe, just maybe... it would be exciting to be podcast.

preston

Postby preston » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:28 pm

Ishmael wrote:Bravo George!
wotf010
You guys were very fast off the mark. I hadn't even heard of this Review.

I would however like to draw attention to the even more remarkable speed of Gallery of Curiosities, who have contrived to go from Acceptance to Payment (via Contract Exchange) in under 24 hours. Should I write to The Times in the traditional way - Dear Sir, Is this a record?

Quite looking forward to the unusual experience of being podcast. Does anyone have experience of this?

Yeah, I was podcast once at Cast of Wonders. It was both thrilling and cringe-worthy. It's awesome to hear your words spoken aloud, and then you start to notice where your wording could have been improved. Either way, it's a great learning experience. Best of luck!

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Well, I've never gotten to use this smiley before, so:

wotf054

I've been waiting on this story for almost five months now, and it went into the editor's "maybe folder" back in January, but just yesterday I got the acceptance letter! This is the first real story I've ever sold to a real market, for real money! It's a 6,000 word fantasy story for Myriad Lands: An Anthology of Non-Western Fantasy from Gardbridge Books, and they pay around 5 cents a word. I cannot believe I've sold a story (and I have to say, my reaction was not at all dignified)! The anthology is coming out in mid-July and I am not at all patient to get that book in the mail.

Ready, and...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

(Also, I saw Preston Dennett's name next to an acceptance on the Submission Grinder. Congrats Preston!)
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:36 pm

Woo! Congrats Emily!

May it be the first of many wotf010

(And further congrats to Mr Nikolopoulos further up the thread as well! Seems like every time I stop by this thread I say that.)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Thank you Matt! wotf049
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

rharp

Postby rharp » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:49 pm

Wow, lots of great sales. Congrats Emily, George, and Preston! wotf010
http://www.rachelleharp.com

F: Q2 V32
Silver HM: Q3, Q4 V32
HM: Q1, Q2, Q3 V 33

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:21 pm

Wow, congrats everyone. Let's keep this positive momentum rolling!

preston

Postby preston » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:30 pm

emilymccosh wrote:Well, I've never gotten to use this smiley before, so:

wotf054

I've been waiting on this story for almost five months now, and it went into the editor's "maybe folder" back in January, but just yesterday I got the acceptance letter! This is the first real story I've ever sold to a real market, for real money! It's a 6,000 word fantasy story for Myriad Lands: An Anthology of Non-Western Fantasy from Gardbridge Books, and they pay around 5 cents a word. I cannot believe I've sold a story (and I have to say, my reaction was not at all dignified)! The anthology is coming out in mid-July and I am not at all patient to get that book in the mail.

Ready, and...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

(Also, I saw Preston Dennett's name next to an acceptance on the Submission Grinder. Congrats Preston!)

Congrats, Emily. That sounds like it's going to be an interesting anthology. And with a story of that size at those rates, you'll definitely be getting a good chunk of change.

And thanks about my story!

preston

Postby preston » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:39 pm

My goal this year is to sell at least one story a month. It's mid-February, and I'm right on track. Sold one story a couple of weeks ago to the Haunted by the Past Anthology, and today I sold a flash piece to Digital Fiction QuickFic, which, BTW, only accepts short reprints that were previously published at semi-pro or pro-rates only. The market is closing soon if you have something. This is the first time I've been able to sell a story twice, and both times were semi-pro. wotf001 I've got something cooking for March too, fingers crossed!

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:45 am

Hooray!
And 5c per words is fantastic! wotf009
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:55 am

Congratulations Preston, Emily and George. Good work.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”