Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
disgruntledpeony

Re: Success!

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:51 pm

george nik. wrote:A new sale, and finally a great one: Mike Resnick bought my story for Galaxy's Edge. wotf003 wotf015

I still can't really believe it.

Congratulations! wotf010
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:09 am

Thanks, Jeanette, Aaron, Lou, Philip, Emily, Rachelle, Preston, Peony! wotf007

amoskalik wrote:Really awesome George. How close are you to proing out now?

Not close at all, in fact. Only two of my sales can be considered pro, and this latest one is 750 words, so supposedly it doesn't count against my eligibility. This leaves me with one, which hasn't been published yet (though hopefully it will soon!)
But that's fine, because I still have a contest to win and I may need a few more quarters to do it! wotf013
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:48 am

You see, I have trouble with this time-travel business. One of my three pro-rate sales is to Flame Tree, which isn't yet SFWA recognized but aims to be, and another is to Cosmic Roots, probably ditto.

Now when they are recognised by SFWA, their recognition will be backdated to their original publication at pro-rates and my by-that-time already-published stories will be qualifying for SFWA membership. So that will make three (plus one flash which we don't count.)

So I'm working on the assumption that if I make one more pro sale I'll be WotF ineligible when its published, even though technically I might not be, because there is such a time lag between most WotF quarter results and the grand gala that by the time I received I prize I would have been ineligible to enter at the time I entered, if you see what I mean. I'm sure that any decent barrack room space-lawyer could talk his way out of this complexity, but I don't think I shall, unless I do, or shall have done or shall be about to do, or shall have been about to do, unless I don't.

Now I think that makes my interpretation of the rules perfectly clear. Unless it doesn't.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:40 am

Ishmael wrote:You see, I have trouble with this time-travel business. One of my three pro-rate sales is to Flame Tree, which isn't yet SFWA recognized but aims to be, and another is to Cosmic Roots, probably ditto.

Now when they are recognised by SFWA, their recognition will be backdated to their original publication at pro-rates and my by-that-time already-published stories will be qualifying for SFWA membership. So that will make three (plus one flash which we don't count.)

So I'm working on the assumption that if I make one more pro sale I'll be WotF ineligible when its published, even though technically I might not be, because there is such a time lag between most WotF quarter results and the grand gala that by the time I received I prize I would have been ineligible to enter at the time I entered, if you see what I mean. I'm sure that any decent barrack room space-lawyer could talk his way out of this complexity, but I don't think I shall, unless I do, or shall have done or shall be about to do, or shall have been about to do, unless I don't.

Now I think that makes my interpretation of the rules perfectly clear. Unless it doesn't.

My understanding is that SFWA eligibility doesn't play into it, just how much you got paid per word and/or the number of hits/size of readership. So for instance, I was wondering the other day, what if I were to sell my Nature story as a reprint to another pro-level magazine. Would that count as two sales? No, it wouldn't, because reprints don't receive pro rates. (also it's flash, so it wouldn't even count as 1, but you get the idea).
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM R HM HM

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:45 am

Yes, I think you're right, but no-one tells me the number of hits or the readership. Not to worry, I have the same unshakeable confidence in my two extant WotF entries that I had in those that went before. wotf007

preston

Postby preston » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:12 pm

My HM-winning story "Freshly Brewed" is now live at Perihelion. My second appearance there. (fiction, that is.) So excited! That's the fifth HM I've sold, with one pending, and the...gulp...eighth story I've had published this year. I'm getting dizzy!
http://www.perihelionsf.com/1606/fiction_2.htm

Nick_T

Postby Nick_T » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:37 am

Congratulations George and Preston! Both great sales.

In regards to pro-ing out of WOTF, they really do bend over backwards to keep you in the competition. They'd probably make an exception for George RR Martin if they thought they could get away with it.

Also, I checked my garage for my leftover WOTF volume. It turns out I've got a handful of pristine copies.

If anyone wants a signed copy, let me know. The only caveat is that I live in Australia. I'm willing to give them away for free as long as you cover postage...which may mean it's cheaper for you to buy from Amazon. Anyway, just send me a PM or email.

Keep in mind that I won under the late KD Wentworth, so my story won't necessarily be a guide as to what does well today.
Nick Tchan
2 x HM
1x Finalist
1 x winner Q2 2011

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Congrats, Preston! wotf010

Thanks, Nick! And I think I've mentioned it before, your WOTF-winning story is probably my all-time WOTF favorite wotf009
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Congratulations, Preston!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:29 am

My story The Wild Hunt of Sliabh Mannan is up today at Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores.[/i]

This is the only story I have ever written about Sliabh Mannan, where I live, and I find it remarkable how the landscape and the story have become intertwined in my mind. I have the greatest difficulty in remembering that I did actually make it up. As far as I'm concerned this is so clearly the way it happened that it belongs in a history book and I half believe that's where I found it.

As a result of this strange psychological effect, I suspect I now have a deeper insight into the way in which myths and historical events became almost indistinguishable in the ancient world, either the Muses or the shades of the characters or both being responsible for the inspiration and no other written records existing,

Muri McCage

Postby Muri McCage » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:02 am

Congrats all around, guys. Lots of exciting news here, since I got sick and fell off the map for a while.
Mom in the Moon, Analog October 2016
Dare to dream, now and tomorrow....
Blog: Dreams of the Purple Koala
http://murimccage.wordpress.com/
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/MuriMcCage

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:22 am

Congrats Philip and Preston!

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:19 am

That's way cool Preston. Congrats.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

preston

Postby preston » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks, guys! Love this thread!
Congrats, Ishmael!

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:26 pm

Congrats Philip and Preston!
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM/V33Q2 - R
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:48 am

Congrats, Philip!
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:49 am

Oh man, I have not kept up with this thread at all. I have no idea how far back I need to go with congrats, but the fact that I can't keep up is testament to the awesome goin' on.

Note to future Matt: go from here.

Anyway, in happy and relevant news, I'm delighted to report that PodCastle have picked my WotF32 story up as a reprint, so it's getting podcasted :D their usual lead time looks to be about 3 months, so hopefully around September for a full reading of it. I love my audiobooks, so I can't wait. (Plus PodCastle has a pretty huge audience, so great news from a career perspective.)

And to make Saturday an extra good day, and to make up for the much-earlier-than-expected form rejection I'd woken up to, PodCastle also accepted the ludicrous fantasy collobaration Stewart & I wrote for the No Shit anthology, which is hilarious news because now some poor sucker has to work out how to pronounce the name of the magic sword, Hrrnngnngrrrndr. I can't even spell it--I have to copy and paste it each time. This is going to be brilliant wotf001
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:55 am

MattDovey wrote:Oh man, I have not kept up with this thread at all. I have no idea how far back I need to go with congrats, but the fact that I can't keep up is testament to the awesome goin' on.

Note to future Matt: go from here.

Anyway, in happy and relevant news, I'm delighted to report that PodCastle have picked my WotF32 story up as a reprint, so it's getting podcasted :D their usual lead time looks to be about 3 months, so hopefully around September for a full reading of it. I love my audiobooks, so I can't wait. (Plus PodCastle has a pretty huge audience, so great news from a career perspective.)

And to make Saturday an extra good day, and to make up for the much-earlier-than-expected form rejection I'd woken up to, PodCastle also accepted the ludicrous fantasy collobaration Stewart & I wrote for the No Shit anthology, which is hilarious news because now some poor sucker has to work out how to pronounce the name of the magic sword, Hrrnngnngrrrndr. I can't even spell it--I have to copy and paste it each time. This is going to be brilliant wotf001

Congrats!
(Hrrnngnngrrrndr. I image it sounds something like a lawnmower failing to start, so maybe they will just insert a audio clip of that...)

morshana

Postby morshana » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:07 am

Congratulations, Matt!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:35 am

Congrats Matt!

(hey that rhymes!)
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM/V33Q2 - R
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

Nick_T

Postby Nick_T » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Congrats Matt, Phillip and Stewart!
Nick Tchan
2 x HM
1x Finalist
1 x winner Q2 2011

preston

Postby preston » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Congrats, Matt. Two pro-sales on one story. Lots of awesomeness there. And how cool that you and Stewart collaborated on a story. Congrats to you both!

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:15 am

Congrats Matt -- and Stewart!
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:34 am

george nik. wrote:Congrats Matt -- and Stewart!

And Stewart! Yes!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

JeremySzal

Postby JeremySzal » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 pm

I sold a reprint to Kasma SF! And it came with artwork!

You can find it here.

Yay!
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:34 am

Congrats Jeremy.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:30 am

Congrats. It's always exciting to have artwork for a story.

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:32 am

Congratulations, Jeremy!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Ember

Postby Ember » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:57 pm

Congratulations Jeremy! So cool that you have the artwork with it too.
---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:31 am

Congrats, Jeremy!
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”