Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
preston

Re: Success!

Postby preston » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:01 am

Congrats, Jeremy. Suspenseful story!

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Another sale, the 9th this year I think. My story, Daughter of the Sea, has just found a home in Truancy magazine.
Happy coincidence: I first heard about Truancy yesterday (June 30), realized it would be a perfect match for the Daughter, then I saw that the next day submissions were closing for summer so I had to send it right then and there, did that and by the next day it was accepted. wotf008
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:21 pm

Wow, great timing.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM R HM

preston

Postby preston » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:24 pm

george nik. wrote:Another sale, the 9th this year I think. My story, Daughter of the Sea, has just found a home in Truancy magazine.
Happy coincidence: I first heard about Truancy yesterday (June 30), realized it would be a perfect match for the Daughter, then I saw that the next day submissions were closing for summer so I had to send it right then and there, did that and by the next day it was accepted. wotf008

Wow! That's a nice quick turn-around. Congrats.
I also have some news:
My HM-winning story, "Stars Are Wild" is now live at The Colored Lens.
http://thecoloredlens.com/

morshana

Postby morshana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Congrats to George and Preston!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:11 am

Congratulations Preston and George. Do either one of you worry about proing out of the contest?
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

preston

Postby preston » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:24 am

storysinger wrote:Congratulations Preston and George. Do either one of you worry about proing out of the contest?

Ha-ha, yeah, I did for about a minute. But I quickly discovered it ain't that easy. I don't worry about proing out; I dream of it. I'd rather win the contest, but if I pro-out, you won't hear any complaining from me. I'm pretty sure my chances of proing out are probably greater than winning this contest, but I don't know. Proing out is difficult because you're competing against the likes of Martin Shoemaker and Kary English and Mike Resnick. The contest, being open only to amateurs, might actually be easier to break into than Analog, F&SF, CLarkesworld, Asimov's and other pro mags. Either way, I'm not giving up. I tried that once...with disastrous results. With the contest, right now I just want to break past the HM barrier. With the pro-mags, I'm second and final rounding, but I've only sold 1 story at pro-rates so far, and it was flash, so it doesn't count for the contest. I have enough stories sent out though, that I could open my email one day and say, "Sorry guys, I can't enter the contest anymore." And I'd be ecstatic with either scenario.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:48 pm

preston wrote: I have enough stories sent out though, that I could open my email one day and say, "Sorry guys, I can't enter the contest anymore." And I'd be ecstatic with either scenario.

Even then you'd have some time, because you need four stories published not just accepted. I think Martin was waiting on his last pro sale to publish when he finally won.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM R HM

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks Aaron, Preston, Jeanette and D.R.! Congrats, Preston! wotf007

preston wrote:
storysinger wrote:Congratulations Preston and George. Do either one of you worry about proing out of the contest?

Ha-ha, yeah, I did for about a minute. But I quickly discovered it ain't that easy. I don't worry about proing out; I dream of it. I'd rather win the contest, but if I pro-out, you won't hear any complaining from me. I'm pretty sure my chances of proing out are probably greater than winning this contest, but I don't know. Proing out is difficult because you're competing against the likes of Martin Shoemaker and Kary English and Mike Resnick. The contest, being open only to amateurs, might actually be easier to break into than Analog, F&SF, CLarkesworld, Asimov's and other pro mags. Either way, I'm not giving up. I tried that once...with disastrous results. With the contest, right now I just want to break past the HM barrier. With the pro-mags, I'm second and final rounding, but I've only sold 1 story at pro-rates so far, and it was flash, so it doesn't count for the contest. I have enough stories sent out though, that I could open my email one day and say, "Sorry guys, I can't enter the contest anymore." And I'd be ecstatic with either scenario.

What Preston said, more or less. However, nowadays I tend to believe that given time (and unless bad things happen) I will eventually --even after a thousand rejections-- pro out, so I'm focusing in winning the contest first wotf013 In fact I have a bet with Martin about this, and I hope he wins wotf011
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

hlf

Postby hlf » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:08 pm

preston wrote:With the contest, right now I just want to break past the HM barrier.

FWIW, I only broke the HM barrier once.
HL Fullerton

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:06 am

Been away from the store for a couple of weeks, so all who've scored publishing success in the interim please accept belated congratulations from me.

During my holiday received an acceptance from AE for a 950 word flash. This is my third sale to AE on top of pro-sales to Flame Tree and Cosmic Roots, but I'm still not quite pro'd out because two of the AE sales were under 1000 words and therefore flash.

When I wake up after flying in at midnight I'd better see about entering Q3. Then all sales will mysteriously dry up I suppose? wotf002
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:02 am

Congrats, Philip!
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:02 pm

Well I don't know why it's happening but it's still happening,
Digital QuickFic has just accepted my Little Greel story. wotf008

I would also mention that two more of my stories are being held for final consideration in Binge-Watching Cure and New Myths -- but then many of my stories have been held for final consideration in various markets, of either pro or token variety (including FSI, Cosmic Roots, Penumbra, various anthologies, and even WOTF itself), and none were ever accepted.
Oh well, I mentioned it anyway. Maybe umpteenth time's the charm. wotf013
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Jason Parker

Postby Jason Parker » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:12 pm

george nik. wrote:Well I don't know why it's happening but it's still happening,
Digital QuickFic has just accepted my Little Greel story. wotf008

I would also mention that two more of my stories are being held for final consideration in Binge-Watching Cure and New Myths -- but then many of my stories have been held for final consideration in various markets, of either pro or token variety (including FSI, Cosmic Roots, Penumbra, various anthologies, and even WOTF itself), and none were ever accepted.
Oh well, I mentioned it anyway. Maybe umpteenth time's the charm. wotf013

Nice!

alpha

Postby alpha » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:02 am

George, maybe why it's happening is your stories are good.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:32 am

Great news George. Selling like hot cakes as we used to say. (Of course you don't live in a cold climate so you might no have much of a demand for hot cakes.)

wotf009

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks, Jason, Alpha and Philip.

alpha wrote:George, maybe why it's happening is your stories are good.

I like my stories -- though some of them more than others. I liked them last year too, even though they didn't sell much. Maybe it means that I'm improving. wotf006 Or maybe it's like an avalanche; when it starts rolling it just picks up speed. At least that's what I'd like to believe. wotf013
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Jason Parker

Postby Jason Parker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:14 am

george nik. wrote:Thanks, Jason, Alpha and Philip.

alpha wrote:George, maybe why it's happening is your stories are good.

I like my stories -- though some of them more than others. I liked them last year too, even though they didn't sell much. Maybe it means that I'm improving. wotf006 Or maybe it's like an avalanche; when it starts rolling it just picks up speed. At least that's what I'd like to believe. wotf013

Good on you for writing what you like. I love my own stories. There's no reason why you shouldn't be your own favorite writer, I say. You have complete control to make it so.

If you don't like what you write, then what's the point of it all? There are far easier jobs out there for people who don't care whether the work is satisfying or not.

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:35 am

Hi guys, I'd like to report that the first story I ever sold is finally in print!

Here come the dancing bananas... wotf026 wotf049 wotf026 wotf049

It's in the second volume of a two part anthology series from Guardbridge Books. Volume I is called Around the World and Volume II is called Beyond the Edge. At this time, it is only in print, not ebook, but personally I think print is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more awesome. Hehe... My story is called "Winged", and I can promise, magic, mystery, mischief-making, and a little bit of sappiness. wotf047
Last edited by emilymccosh on Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Jason Parker

Postby Jason Parker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:53 am

emilymccosh wrote:Hi guys, I'd like to report that the first story I ever sold is finally in print!

It's in the second volume of a two part anthology series from Guardbridge Books. Volume I is called Around the World and Volume II is called Beyond the Edge. At this time, it is only in print, not ebook, but personally I think print is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more awesome. Hehe... My story is called "Winged", and I can promise, magic, mystery, mischief-making, and a little but of sappiness. wotf047

Woot!

morshana

Postby morshana » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:47 am

Yay to Philip, George, and Emily! wotf010
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Thanks, Jeanette! Congrats, Emily! wotf007
George Nikolopoulos
Amazon Page

Ember

Postby Ember » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:00 pm

emilymccosh wrote: personally I think print is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more awesome. Hehe... My story is called "Winged", and I can promise, magic, mystery, mischief-making, and a little bit of sappiness. wotf047

I agree! And congratulations.

Congrats to you too George, you're going gangbusters atm! Did I understand you right that you've been sending of the same stories for a while and just happening to get them all accepted now? Or are these all new stories?
---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:58 pm

Yay, Emily! Congrats.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:41 am

Congrats George and Emily.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

preston

Postby preston » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:23 am

emilymccosh wrote:Hi guys, I'd like to report that the first story I ever sold is finally in print!

It's in the second volume of a two part anthology series from Guardbridge Books. Volume I is called Around the World and Volume II is called Beyond the Edge. At this time, it is only in print, not ebook, but personally I think print is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more awesome. Hehe... My story is called "Winged", and I can promise, magic, mystery, mischief-making, and a little bit of sappiness. wotf047

Congrats, Emily! That's awesome. And I agree. Having a story appear in a physical book that you can actually touch and sniff is somehow more satisfying than a Cloud story.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:06 am

Great News, Emily! wotf010

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks everyone! I'm still waiting on my contributor's copy, quite impatiently I might add... wotf019
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Nick_T

Postby Nick_T » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:15 am

Congrats Philip, George, and Emily! Man, leave this page alone for a week and you are hopelessly behind...

My story "Beyond the Sea" has been picked up by Aliterate Magazine. To quote from their webpage:
https://www.aliterate.org/about.html
"Aliterate is a literary magazine devoted to publishing “literary genre fiction.” This is to say that we print genre fiction of a literary character. At Aliterate we want to publish beautiful genre writing. Think Samuel Delany. Think Margaret Atwood." It's likely to be published in late 2017.

They had something north of 1000 submissions, so I'm very happy that this was picked up.
Nick Tchan
2 x HM
1x Finalist
1 x winner Q2 2011

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:47 am

Way to go Nick wotf010 .
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”