Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
jficke13

Re: Success!

Postby jficke13 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:33 am

Thanks all, and congratulations as well!
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd.

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Ok; it has likely been a year since I have posted on this forum. I am attempting to balance family time, writing, and time on various forums. My first ebook was illustrated by a friend and posted to the Draft to Digital Web site. The book is about 200 pages containing 4 short stories about heroes who are more criminal like than hero. The title is: "Evil is in the eye of..." by Chris Lefebvre

I asked various friends and family what I should charge for the download and the consensus was .99 cents. The reason for the low cost is - it IS my first true submission. Reasonable?
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:33 am

Brydar wrote:Ok; it has likely been a year since I have posted on this forum. I am attempting to balance family time, writing, and time on various forums. My first ebook was illustrated by a friend and posted to the Draft to Digital Web site. The book is about 200 pages containing 4 short stories about heroes who are more criminal like than hero. The title is: "Evil is in the eye of..." by Chris Lefebvre

I asked various friends and family what I should charge for the download and the consensus was .99 cents. The reason for the low cost is - it IS my first true submission. Reasonable?

I've sold more with eBook Novelette priced over .99 than I did I'd .99. Just because your new, doesn't mean you have to charge very little. Besides, the more people who give away their work for free or really cheap, the harder it is for us ever to charge enough to make more than Amazon does, on our work.
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:08 pm

I sold a micro (twitter?) length piece to Story Seed Vault @tinystoryseeds that should be posted on 7/23/17. Less than 140 characters still counts right?

p.s. I'm publishing it under the name Jonathan Twain.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Tangentially related to writing success... my first self-published book, Immortal, just got me my first real, career-based writing job. After 17 years in IT, I get to write for a living and leave tech troubleshooting to others.

I'm calling it a win! wotf007
WotF Results:
  • R:1
  • HM:4
  • sHM:0
  • SF:0
  • F:0
  • (Last: HM, Q4.v34)

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:22 pm

michaeljwyantjr wrote:Tangentially related to writing success... my first self-published book, Immortal, just got me my first real, career-based writing job. After 17 years in IT, I get to write for a living and leave tech troubleshooting to others.

I'm calling it a win! wotf007

It's what you're calling it that matters most. Congratulations! wotf009
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:27 pm

A little flower has blossomed in the desert. My story The Ship of Theseus (7400 words) has been accepted for August's edition of Phantaxis.

I liked this story enough to write a sequel already.

Because everyone admires Heraclitus, right? wotf011

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:51 am

Ishmael wrote:A little flower has blossomed in the desert. My story The Ship of Theseus (7400 words) has been accepted for August's edition of Phantaxis.

I liked this story enough to write a sequel already.

Because everyone admires Heraclitus, right? wotf011

Congrats! and congrats to Michael and anyone else I've missed over the last few weeks.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:41 pm

The issue of Beneath Ceaseless Skies featuring my story is available for subscribers via Weightless Books! Non-subscribers can get one issue for $0.99US...or wait a couple of weeks for the issue to come out for free on the BCS website. wotf008

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:42 am

Congratulations Jeremy!

Apparently story sales are like London buses: you wait ages and then two come along at once. After 'The Ship of Theseus', my story 'The Black Horse' has been accepted by Third Flatiron for their anthology Strange Beasties. This one adds to my embarrassingly large number of professional sales but I suspect Joni won't count this either if TF are not yet listed by SFWA. But I'm already in for Q4 anyway (yesterday!)

And on the same day I received only my second ever rewrite request, this one from CRES. Just as was the case with the first such request, the five points needing correction were perfectly right and only needed pointing out for me to see them. Just as before I whizzed the story back in a matter of hours. Last time the editor didn't think I'd have had enough time but declared I'd actually nailed it. Fingers crossed lightning strikes twice, which would be yet another professional sale.

Ahem. My friends, I'd better win WotF soon or the door will be shut in my face. wotf013

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:34 am

Ishmael wrote:Congratulations Jeremy!

Apparently story sales are like London buses: you wait ages and then two come along at once. After 'The Ship of Theseus', my story 'The Black Horse' has been accepted by Third Flatiron for their anthology Strange Beasties. This one adds to my embarrassingly large number of professional sales but I suspect Joni won't count this either if TF are not yet listed by SFWA. But I'm already in for Q4 anyway (yesterday!)

And on the same day I received only my second ever rewrite request, this one from CRES. Just as was the case with the first such request, the five points needing correction were perfectly right and only needed pointing out for me to see them. Just as before I whizzed the story back in a matter of hours. Last time the editor didn't think I'd have had enough time but declared I'd actually nailed it. Fingers crossed lightning strikes twice, which would be yet another professional sale.

Ahem. My friends, I'd better win WotF soon or the door will be shut in my face. wotf013

Great news! Here's to you winning and winning soon, but if you don't, proing out is the next best thing. wotf008

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:32 am

Thanks Aaron. Whatever the outcome, I've certainly learned a lot about writing from this contest. On the other hand I do still need my mistakes pointed out!
wotf008

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:29 pm

My story, The Broken Karwaneer, is now free to read on Beneath Ceaseless Skies! Check it out: http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.com/ ... karwaneer/

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:49 am

Jeremyteg wrote:My story, The Broken Karwaneer, is now free to read on Beneath Ceaseless Skies! Check it out: http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.com/ ... karwaneer/

Okay, that was awesome. The setting and characters hold a great deal of depth. I would legitimately love to read a novel set in that world.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:26 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
Jeremyteg wrote:My story, The Broken Karwaneer, is now free to read on Beneath Ceaseless Skies! Check it out: http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.com/ ... karwaneer/

Okay, that was awesome. The setting and characters hold a great deal of depth. I would legitimately love to read a novel set in that world.

Thanks! wotf007

What about a novel set in that world three thousand years ago? Because I may or may not be doing the prewriting for just such a novel...

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:46 am

Jeremyteg wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:

Thanks! wotf007

What about a novel set in that world three thousand years ago? Because I may or may not be doing the prewriting for just such a novel...

It's still set in the world, isn't it? wotf019 (Translation: yes.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:30 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
Jeremyteg wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:Okay, that was awesome. The setting and characters hold a great deal of depth. I would legitimately love to read a novel set in that world.

Thanks! wotf007

It's still set in the world, isn't it? wotf019 (Translation: yes.)

wotf007

You're making me want to work harder. Which is good. I've been slacking. wotf001

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:55 am

Wow. Great story. The ending is very profound.

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:03 pm

amoskalik wrote:

Wow. Great story. The ending is very profound.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:01 am

I'm pleased to announce that my short story The Ship of Theseus has been published in the August 2017 edition of Phantaxis Magazine.
I'm very fond of this story, in which an undercover cop in a dystopian future San Francisco discovers a lot more than he expected about how his world is being run.

Phantaxis is available in paperback or as an e-book.

PRINT: here

DIGITAL: here

I hope all of you will take advantage of this great offer. And if you like my story, please be sure to let everyone know!

Do note that the e-book version will be available for FREE download during a special promotion on Amazon
N.B. Change of Promotion Date

The publisher has changed the ebook promotion dates to Friday August 18th, Saturday August 19th, and Sunday August 20th. The promotion will no longer run August 11th through 13th. as previously notified. Phantaxis wish to apologize for this change which was out of their hands.

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:52 am

I have a tiny story up today at Every Day Fiction:

https://everydayfiction.com/a-slice-best-served-hot-by-randy-hulshizer/
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:03 am

Randy Hulshizer wrote:I have a tiny story up today at Every Day Fiction:

Very nice. I enjoyed it.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 am

Randy Hulshizer wrote:I have a tiny story up today at Every Day Fiction:

Me too - wrapped up nice at the end
V34: SF, R, R, Q4-pending
V33 (Q2 on): HM, SHM, R
Latest sold stories (9 total):
"The Right Decision," Digital Science Fiction, Dec. 21, 2016
"Fossil Fuel," Helios Quarterly Magazine, Dec. 13, 2016

amyhg

Postby amyhg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Just read it. Thoroughly enjoyed it too! Beautifully written. Did you use a similar style with your winning story? I look forward to reading it.
v33: Q3 - R; Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R; Q2 - SECOND PLACE! Q3 - HM (oops...?)

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:15 pm

amyhg wrote:
Just read it. Thoroughly enjoyed it too! Beautifully written. Did you use a similar style with your winning story? I look forward to reading it.

Well...I don't want to say here, for fear of outing my story before the grand prize judging. wotf001

If you'd like we can exchange winning stories!

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:45 am

Ishmael wrote:I'm pleased to announce that my short story The Ship of Theseus has been published in the August 2017 edition of Phantaxis Magazine.
I'm very fond of this story, in which an undercover cop in a dystopian future San Francisco discovers a lot more than he expected about how his world is being run.

Phantaxis is available in paperback or as an e-book.

PRINT: here

DIGITAL: here

I hope all of you will take advantage of this great offer. And if you like my story, please be sure to let everyone know!

Do note that the e-book version will be available for FREE download during a special promotion on Amazon
N.B. Change of Promotion Date

The publisher has changed the ebook promotion dates to Friday August 18th, Saturday August 19th, and Sunday August 20th. The promotion will no longer run August 11th through 13th. as previously notified. Phantaxis wish to apologize for this change which was out of their hands.

I just downloaded it. I'm looking forward to reading tonight.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:16 am

I hope you enjoy it Aaron. Some way left field of my normal work these days.

N.B. Everyone else - Today is the last day for the free download (see above).

And in other news: (Drum Roll. Fanfare of Trumpets. Clash of cymbals. Writer enters to frantic applause while dainty damsels cast carnations before his feet.)

I have sold a poem! This is a first. Though I won the poetry competition at my local festival and had a couple of poems published in a non-paying anthology, this should be the first time (all being well) that I'll be paid for writing poetry. Not free verse, not even blank verse, real poetry that scans and rhymes. And not just real poetry that scans and rhymes - a sonnet!

I kid you not. A sonnet. Question: has anybody anywhere sold a sonnet in living memory? No, don't tell me. I'm sure somebody must have, I just haven't seen any. Needless to say, I am well chuffed!

My 'Sonnet on Truth' (after Spinoza) has been accepted for 'More Alternative Truth' anthology. (Even more 'Well did you ever?' because this is essentiallty a collection of US political satire.)

"Now give three cheers, I'll lead the way, Hoorah, Hoorah, Hooray." - W S Gilbert. wotf003

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:56 am

After a pretty fallow six months are we on a roll here?

Flame Tree have accepted my story 'Heavy Weather' for their 'Pirates and Ghosts' anthology. Oh I do so enjoy it when some outfit takes my work for the second time. It suggests they weren't frightened off the first time!

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 am

Ishmael wrote:After a pretty fallow six months are we on a roll here?

Flame Tree have accepted my story 'Heavy Weather' for their 'Pirates and Ghosts' anthology.

We're going to be antho buddies! wotf007

Flame Tree accepted my story "The Game of Games" as well!

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:33 am

Congrats. Good to see a couple forum folk get in those.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd.

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”