Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
disgruntledpeony

Re: Success!

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:48 am

Congratulations, Matt and J'nae! wotf007 wotf010
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:50 am

amoskalik wrote:
Randy Hulshizer wrote:
J'nae Rae wrote:wotf054
I've sold a humorous flash piece to Empyreome. Thank you Randy!

wotf024

wotf006 J'nae's story, Nine-Tenths, is now live at Empyreome:

http://empyreome.com/read.aspx?id=40

Ha, great story J'nae!

Thank you. wotf007
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:28 am

A couple of things to report here. I had a flash story, What Waits Beneath the Rainbow Sea, published recently in Every Day Fiction.

Also! I'm happy to announce my first short story collection!

Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder features twenty fantasy and science fiction short stories, including four not previously published. The stories include one of my WotF finalists, eight HMs, and four straight 'R's that went on to find happy publication homes.

wotf007

Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 16, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:54 am

Congratulations!
R Q1 & Q2 2017

wotf024

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:55 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:A couple of things to report here. I had a flash story, What Waits Beneath the Rainbow Sea, published recently in Every Day Fiction.

Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder features twenty fantasy and science fiction short stories, including four not previously published. The stories include one of my WotF finalists, eight HMs, and four straight 'R's that went on to find happy publication homes.

wotf007

Love the cover. Congrats!
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:08 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:A couple of things to report here. I had a flash story, What Waits Beneath the Rainbow Sea, published recently in Every Day Fiction.

wotf007

That flash is awesome, and your collection has been added to my Amazon wishlist so I can purchase it after I've been paid. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:47 am

Good work Rebecca! I look forward to reading the flash piece. wotf010

inky_illuminarium

Postby inky_illuminarium » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Congrats Rebecca, and thanks for sharing! I very much enjoyed your flash piece - beautiful, evocative language! wotf010

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:16 am

I just had my first story published by pod cast in The Centropic Oracle. I really like what the narrator did with this piece.
http://centropicoracle.com/library/F0017_FreshAndFinite.php
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:22 am

amoskalik wrote:I just had my first story published by pod cast in The Centropic Oracle. I really like what the narrator did with this piece.

Congratulations! wotf007 wotf010

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:02 am

amoskalik wrote:I just had my first story published by pod cast in The Centropic Oracle. I really like what the narrator did with this piece.

Congratulations!!!
R Q1 & Q2 2017

wotf024

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Yay!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:14 am

Great news!
wotf024
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:54 pm

So, being rather new to this (read: completely new to this), when is it appropriate to post about sales? When ink is dried on a contract? When a publication date is set? Something else entirely?

Also, what if the market isn't a pro market? I've heard at least one person give the advice not to even mention semi-pro or token paying publications in a cover letter, does that apply to semi-anonymous forum posts wherein one shameless fishes for affirmation from one's peers?

I have appreciated the forums guidance on the cultural industry norms in the past... so preemptively: thank you again.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. www.jonficke.wordpress.com

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Simply based on what I've observed in the past, this thread is an informal place for celebrating with your peers and doesn't discriminate between pro, semi-pro, and token sales. A lot of people post when they first sell a story and again later to provide links or some such when the story goes public.

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:12 pm

jficke13 wrote:So, being rather new to this (read: completely new to this), when is it appropriate to post about sales? When ink is dried on a contract? When a publication date is set? Something else entirely?

Also, what if the market isn't a pro market? I've heard at least one person give the advice not to even mention semi-pro or token paying publications in a cover letter, does that apply to semi-anonymous forum posts wherein one shameless fishes for affirmation from one's peers?

I have appreciated the forums guidance on the cultural industry norms in the past... so preemptively: thank you again.

We're here to celebrate any and all successes, be they pro, semi-pro, or what have you! wotf010

The appropriate time to publicly discuss a sale is going to vary from market to market. My experience has been that you can talk about a sale once the contract has been finalized and signed, but some publishers/editors might want you to wait a while. As a general rule, double checking with the editor who bought your story is a good idea for things like this.

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Jeremyteg wrote:
jficke13 wrote:So, being rather new to this (read: completely new to this), when is it appropriate to post about sales? When ink is dried on a contract? When a publication date is set? Something else entirely?

We're here to celebrate any and all successes, be they pro, semi-pro, or what have you! wotf010

The appropriate time to publicly discuss a sale is going to vary from market to market. My experience has been that you can talk about a sale once the contract has been finalized and signed, but some publishers/editors might want you to wait a while. As a general rule, double checking with the editor who bought your story is a good idea for things like this.

Well I tentatively have a what have you... details to follow when finalized... #firstsaleever.

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:56 pm

jficke13 wrote:
Jeremyteg wrote:

Well I tentatively have a what have you... details to follow when finalized... #firstsaleever.

Congratulations! Keep us posted with the details. I'd like to read once it's out. wotf008
SF HM HM

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:37 am

Not to be too much of a wet blanket, but when I received my first acceptance in 2014 it never occurred to me that an acceptance might not result in the publication of my story.

Since then I've had two such cases (respecting 'sales' which I happily announced in these pages) and come close to a third. Sometimes the publication doesn't last long enough to publish your story; sometimes a restructuring of the publisher causes problems; sometime a change of editor; sometimes illness; sometimes communications get so bad you don't know what's happening; sometimes unexplained delays just go on and on; sometimes several of the above at once.

You have a better chance once a contract's signed, but even that doesn't prevent some of these problems. When a business folds numerous contracts may be broken and it's unlikely to be worth pursuing them by legal means.

So I say, celebrate when you can, but it ain't over until the story's published (and sometimes not even then.)

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Congratulations on the recent successes, folks, especially jficke13. First sale is the best sale, and I'm looking forward to hearing the details!

I have a flash piece out today in T. Gene Davis's Speculative Blog: Anchor and Key. It's basically my love letter to libraries.

wotf008
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:Congratulations on the recent successes, folks, especially jficke13. First sale is the best sale, and I'm looking forward to hearing the details!

I have a flash piece out today in T. Gene Davis's Speculative Blog: Anchor and Key. It's basically my love letter to libraries.

wotf008

Very nice. wotf007 Love it.

preston

Postby preston » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:25 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:Congratulations on the recent successes, folks, especially jficke13. First sale is the best sale, and I'm looking forward to hearing the details!

wotf008

I always enjoy your stories, Rebecca. Another beautiful piece of art. Congrats.

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:21 am

I signed the contract and the editor said it was safe to share, so here we go:

Mad Scientist Journal put out a call for classified ads and are planning to publish my submission in March 2018. It's a 180ish word fictional classified ad, so I'm not sure if that falls into flash or an even smaller category, but in any case it's pretty cool, no?

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:28 am

jficke13 wrote:I signed the contract and the editor said it was safe to share, so here we go:

Mad Scientist Journal put out a call for classified ads and are planning to publish my submission in March 2018. It's a 180ish word fictional classified ad, so I'm not sure if that falls into flash or an even smaller category, but in any case it's pretty cool, no?

That is pretty cool. Well done!
SF HM HM

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:02 am

wotf008

Very nice, Rebecca. I enjoyed it.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:03 am

jficke13 wrote:I signed the contract and the editor said it was safe to share, so here we go:

Congratulations and join the club! My first was also under 200 words. wotf007

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:45 am

Nice! I'd say that counts as flash fiction. Well done! wotf010

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Jeremyteg wrote:

Nice! I'd say that counts as flash fiction. Well done! wotf010

Well, it's over the 100 for a drabble. So, really short flash!
R Q1 & Q2 2017

wotf024

elratliff

Postby elratliff » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:01 pm

wotf010
1 x SHM
1 x HM
2 x R

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Congratulations, jficke13! Mad Scientist Journal is awesome. wotf007

And thank, Ishmael, Preston, and Peony. Glad you liked it!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”