Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
onelowerlight

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby onelowerlight » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:26 am

So...much...waiting!

When do you think the winners will be announced? It can't be long, can it? CAN IT???

<sigh>

jdbrink

Postby jdbrink » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:27 am

gower21 wrote:HEAR THAT EVERYONE: Write how you write. Don't try to "guess" what the judge wants. Tell the story, make sure you polish with all the things Dave is writing about in his Daily Kicks and you'll feel much better to have a story that is truly yours up on that list. I think I did send you the new opening and you said "YES! Exactly!" -- your instincts were right on :) I'm so glad I listened to you. Everything else stayed the same, but I needed to nail that opening.

This speaks to me loud and clear! I still remember my freshman eng comp class trying to write what i thought i was "supposed" to write and then for one essay about the book Winesburg, Oh (which, by the way, is actually my hometown, Clyde, OH) i just said, screw it, and let it go. And when i got my grade and compliments from the teacher i realized that you should not try to write "what they want" but only WHAT YOU WRITE.

Now i will say that that hasn't made me the most well-known writer in America or anything and i am always so tempted to write what i think everyone else wants me to in order to get my foot in somewhere, but... If you like it and that's your voice (1) others will too, you can't be alone, and (2) if you fake something it will come across that way.

That's my two cents, anyway.
J.D. Brink
http://www.jdbrinkfugitive.com
Finalist, volume XXIX, 1st Q

jdbrink

Postby jdbrink » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:30 am

onelowerlight wrote:So...much...waiting!

When do you think the winners will be announced? It can't be long, can it? CAN IT???

<sigh>

Jonni told me a week and a half, or two tops. so I figure midway thry this coming week or later. of course, it is almost JULY for a DEC deadline, so... could be a while.
J.D. Brink
http://www.jdbrinkfugitive.com
Finalist, volume XXIX, 1st Q

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:46 am

jdbrink wrote:Jonni told me a week and a half, or two tops. so I figure midway thry this coming week or later. of course, it is almost JULY for a DEC deadline, so... could be a while.

Oh, let us hope! I don't know how much longer I can bear to hear this in my head.

This, on the other hand... No such thing as too much Carly!
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Holly Heisey

Postby Holly Heisey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
jdbrink wrote:Jonni told me a week and a half, or two tops. so I figure midway thry this coming week or later. of course, it is almost JULY for a DEC deadline, so... could be a while.

Oh, let us hope! I don't know how much longer I can bear to hear this in my head.

I hear you! I'm having random fits of hyperactive waitery. Joni said something like three weeks to me, though. But I hope you're right Jeremy!

Isto

Postby Isto » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:55 am

Well, it's Monday for those who still care. (yawn) Q1-29 is an old overgrown battlefield. Most of the dead and wounded have been dragged away. For the most part, the army has moved on. Crickets and red-wing blackbirds are louder than the few troops left packing up the encampment. They aren't talking, just thinking of the next battle. Wondering if it's worth it. Wondering who will be promoted out of their unit. Missing them already. I take off my boots and sniff the damp leather. With a little flour, I could bake bread in them. Do gators like bread?
- Isto
R-R-Semi

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:13 am

Isto wrote:Well, it's Monday for those who still care. (yawn) Q1-29 is an old overgrown battlefield. Most of the dead and wounded have been dragged away. For the most part, the army has moved on. Crickets and red-wing blackbirds are louder than the few troops left packing up the encampment. They aren't talking, just thinking of the next battle. Wondering if it's worth it. Wondering who will be promoted out of their unit. Missing them already. I take off my boots and sniff the damp leather. With a little flour, I could bake bread in them. Do gators like bread?

Heh. That's almost exactly like the scene I saw this weekend. My brother's Boy Scout troop was packing for camp; but he couldn't be there due to an unexpected trip to the hospital. So I recorded their send-off for him. It was all hustle and bustle and chaos; and then suddenly Scouts and parents and leaders started getting into trucks, a few at a time. Then the trucks started leaving, until a much smaller group of stragglers was left to look over the last minute details. And then finally the last few got into the big truck with the big trailer behind it. And then they waited just a little longer for some last-minute discussions and decisions. And then finally they started the truck. It slowly rolled out of the driveway, then picked up speed and set off for adventure.

No gators were seen, though...

NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:40 am

NO! Q1 is not dead. We still have wounded out in the field. I hear them calling for help. We can't allow the troops to leave until we carry out wounded out. Leave no man behind! I bet we get results this week. We *must* get results this week. There are a few emails that will go out from the hold pile and other e-subbers waiting.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:59 am

gower21 wrote:NO! Q1 is not dead. We still have wounded out in the field. I hear them calling for help. We can't allow the troops to leave until we carry out wounded out. Leave no man behind! I bet we get results this week. We *must* get results this week. There are a few emails that will go out from the hold pile and other e-subbers waiting.

"I believe, Bolie! I belieeeeve! You've got to believe!"

(That's an even more obscure than usual Twilight Zone reference, probably mangled.)

NNiNN

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:09 am

Isto wrote:Well, it's Monday for those who still care. (yawn) Q1-29 is an old overgrown battlefield. Most of the dead and wounded have been dragged away. For the most part, the army has moved on. Crickets and red-wing blackbirds are louder than the few troops left packing up the encampment. They aren't talking, just thinking of the next battle. Wondering if it's worth it. Wondering who will be promoted out of their unit. Missing them already. I take off my boots and sniff the damp leather. With a little flour, I could bake bread in them. Do gators like bread?

No, gators don't like bread. I'm afraid Madam Gator has her slit-pupil eye on some of the corpses lying around here though. wotf005 Not sure who in particular. I didn't like to mention it, I didn't want to spoil anyone's supper not to mention offending any grieving friends or relatives. wotf017
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

gower21

Postby gower21 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:13 am

Hold still, everyone. I've heard the best way to get away from a gator is to not get near the jaw. If you trigger their jaw reflex, you're toast!

(Gator toast that is ;)

Isto

Postby Isto » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:00 am

gower21 wrote:NO! Q1 is not dead. We still have wounded out in the field. I hear them calling for help. We can't allow the troops to leave until we carry out wounded out. Leave no man behind! I bet we get results this week. We *must* get results this week. There are a few emails that will go out from the hold pile and other e-subbers waiting.

must! How does that song go? Monday, Monday. Can't trust that day. My results have probably been sent by Pony Express. How many weeks will it take to get to Ohio? wotf009
- Isto
R-R-Semi

Isto

Postby Isto » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:06 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:

No, gators don't like bread. I'm afraid Madam Gator has her slit-pupil eye on some of the corpses lying around here though. wotf005 Not sure who in particular. I didn't like to mention it, I didn't want to spoil anyone's supper not to mention offending any grieving friends or relatives. wotf017

wotf003 (climbing a tree) Thanks for the head's up. Gator toast may be an honorable way to go, but not quite ready for that yet. (shoots a buzzard with a marshmallow) wotf016
- Isto
R-R-Semi

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:41 am

Isto wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:

wotf003 (climbing a tree) Thanks for the head's up. Gator toast may be an honorable way to go, but not quite ready for that yet. (shoots a buzzard with a marshmallow) wotf016

You should be safe up a tree. Or at least, on the top branches of a tree. Gators are known for sometimes snatching birds from the lower branches that overhang the swamp, but generally they don't like being more than a few feet from the ground, and preferably in the water! wotf006
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

preston

Postby preston » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Not dead yet. I'm feeling much better. Which quarter is this? Where am I?
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

gower21

Postby gower21 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 pm

preston wrote:

Not dead yet. I'm feeling much better. Which quarter is this? Where am I?
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

Preston, you seem a little shell shocked! The only cure will be results. That should come this week! Hang in there.

preston

Postby preston » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Yeah, I've got PTSD (Postal Traumatic Submission Disorder). There is only one cure: Results. I think I can hang on a few more days...I hope... wotf002
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

WBLedbetter

Postby WBLedbetter » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:30 pm

preston wrote:Yeah, I've got PTSD (Postal Traumatic Submission Disorder). There is only one cure: Results. I think I can hang on a few more days...I hope... wotf002
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

Hmmm...we may have to set up a triage station. Deal with the worst PTSD cases first. wotf012
1st Place Winner, Q2, "Rings of Mars" Vol. 28
Semi-Finalist Q2, 2009
HM ??? (at least 4)

Isto

Postby Isto » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:10 pm

WBLedbetter wrote:
preston wrote:Yeah, I've got PTSD (Postal Traumatic Submission Disorder). There is only one cure: Results. I think I can hang on a few more days...I hope... wotf002
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

Hmmm...we may have to set up a triage station. Deal with the worst PTSD cases first. wotf012

Do the symptoms include wailing, attempting to chewing ones own leg off, insomnia, and the obsessive compulsion to hit the refresh button every 5 minutes on Thursdays?
- Isto
R-R-Semi

gower21

Postby gower21 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:33 pm

WBLedbetter wrote:
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

Paper subbers will have the worst case...but I think those poor e-subbers got a huge hit this time too. We're going to need to bring in every available psychologist!

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:03 am

That's why I'm glad my story for Q1 was utter crap. Early rejection means no waiting! wotf007
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:06 am

s_c_baker wrote:That's why I'm glad my story for Q1 was utter crap. Early rejection means no waiting! wotf007

wotf019 That's the spirit!

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:11 am

Strycher wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:That's why I'm glad my story for Q1 was utter crap. Early rejection means no waiting! wotf007

I'm hoping to get a head start on rejection in Q3 by submitting a Spanish-language Dada novella written in binary Japanese and bright pink font.
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:31 am

s_c_baker wrote:
Strycher wrote:

I'm hoping to get a head start on rejection in Q3 by submitting a Spanish-language Dada novella written in binary Japanese and bright pink font.

Lord save us from the Dada movement in writing. The nazi ruined everything (however some of the Dada art was excellent).

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:02 am

s_c_baker wrote:
Strycher wrote:

Little did he know that this was precisely what David Wolverton yearned to read. And had for many years.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:53 am

gower21 wrote:Lord save us from the Dada movement in writing. The nazi ruined everything (however some of the Dada art was excellent).

Maybe I'm a little unclearer on my art history than I think I am--all I remember about the Nazis in relation to Dada is that they hated it.

Strycher wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:I'm hoping to get a head start on rejection in Q3 by submitting a Spanish-language Dada novella written in binary Japanese and bright pink font.

Little did he know that this was precisely what David Wolverton yearned to read. And had for many years.

Curse you, "David Garland"! Curse youuu! Image
(Oh, wait, wouldn't I actually be thanking him in that case? Now I'm confused.)

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Sorry it was a backroad reference. In a way the Nazis caused the DaDa movement, because the DaDa was a backlash from the popular neoclassical movement the nazi's praised. Dada was created to be opposite of everything neoclassical to oppose the nazi's love.

I believe this is how it goes. My history is coming from my head and not google, so it's open to error.

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:31 pm

gower21 wrote:I believe this is how it goes. My history is coming from my head and not google, so it's open to error.

wotf001 Unlike Google history which, as we all know, is infallible.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:35 pm

gower21 wrote:Sorry it was a backroad reference. In a way the Nazis caused the DaDa movement, because the DaDa was a backlash from the popular neoclassical movement the nazi's praised. Dada was created to be opposite of everything neoclassical to oppose the nazi's love.

I believe this is how it goes. My history is coming from my head and not google, so it's open to error.

According to Wiki (bastion of entirely correct knowledge!), Dada was founded in 1916 in response to the horrors of WWI, so perhaps we both need to go back to art-history-school. wotf007

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:53 am

Incoming! We have results arriving on Duotrope. And onelowerlight has, sadly, received a rejection.

I'll be at the new job all day, so I'll probably miss a lot of excitement here today.

NNiNN

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”