Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
Strycher

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby Strycher » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:24 am

bobsandiego wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:This has nothing to do with writing, but I have a phone interview for a digital applications librarian job in Oregon later today, and am feeling nervous. Awk!

Best of luck to you. This job market is brutal.

wotf019

(Break a leg.)

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:26 am

Ishmael wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:This has nothing to do with writing, but I have a phone interview for a digital applications librarian job in Oregon later today, and am feeling nervous. Awk!

And you put this in the 'Almost Success' thread because of some Cassandra presentiment? Nay, gentle Brutus, the fault lies not in our stars. Take time by the forelock, I say, sieze that tide in the affairs of men and mix every quotation you can think of, (except not in the interview of course.)

Well, it is a job at a university library... The people on the committee would probably get it. wotf019

(I'm choosing almost as in "not yet a" in this case, if you want the positive spin on things. wotf011 )

The market is certainly brutal right now--even among those who have a master's in library science. We had a temporary, part time position at my current library, and there were 160 applicants for it... wotf015

This phone interview will be particularly interesting because I don't meet one or two of their minimum requirements. So I guess they felt I was specialized enough in the other areas that it didn't matter... (Pardon me while my intestines try to choke my stomach.)

ETA: It seemed to go fairly well. We shall see in about a week and a half. wotf007
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:01 pm

s_c_baker wrote:
Ishmael wrote:

And you put this in the 'Almost Success' thread because of some Cassandra presentiment? Nay, gentle Brutus, the fault lies not in our stars. Take time by the forelock, I say, sieze that tide in the affairs of men and mix every quotation you can think of, (except not in the interview of course.)

Well, it is a job at a university library... The people on the committee would probably get it. wotf019

(I'm choosing almost as in "not yet a" in this case, if you want the positive spin on things. wotf011 )

The market is certainly brutal right now--even among those who have a master's in library science. We had a temporary, part time position at my current library, and there were 160 applicants for it... wotf015

This phone interview will be particularly interesting because I don't meet one or two of their minimum requirements. So I guess they felt I was specialized enough in the other areas that it didn't matter... (Pardon me while my intestines try to choke my stomach.)

ETA: It seemed to go fairly well. We shall see in about a week and a half. wotf007

Hope you get it, they need you.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:06 am

s_c_baker wrote:
Ishmael wrote:

Good luck! wotf007

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:55 am

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just got my third (in a row) rejection from Gordon Van Gelder. He keeps telling me his assistants like my stories, but they can't "grab him," "hit him right", or "hold his interest." wotf014
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:04 am

morshana wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just got my third (in a row) rejection from Gordon Van Gelder. He keeps telling me his assistants like my stories, but they can't "grab him," "hit him right", or "hold his interest." wotf014

This is so the right place to post this. Keep at him! You'll get there!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks, Rebecca! I'll keep submitting, of course. wotf024
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:18 pm

morshana wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just got my third (in a row) rejection from Gordon Van Gelder. He keeps telling me his assistants like my stories, but they can't "grab him," "hit him right", or "hold his interest." wotf014

Keep going, keep going! I haven't gotten past the assistants once.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm with Elinor. Still haven't gotten past that Stephen guy. Go Jeanette! You can do it! wotf024

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:36 pm

Indeed, Jeanette.

Push on.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:59 pm

I will add mine, "keep working, you're closer than you think," too.

A while back--15 to 18 months or so--I received one from Van Gelder. But it read just like any of the rejections from the other guys so I figured they must be sick or some such and he was doing some extra work.

But is Stephen on a higher level than Scott or are they the same?

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:45 am

Look at all the magnificent stuff that F&SF misses out on by requiring snail mail submissions. Mine for example! Maybe I should ask someone to mail one in for me. I dare say they email their rejections, don't they?
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:01 am

Ishmael wrote:Look at all the magnificent stuff that F&SF misses out on by requiring snail mail submissions. Mine for example! Maybe I should ask someone to mail one in for me. I dare say they email their rejections, don't they?

They do email rejections indeed, if you ask them nicely. And I recently swapped a story to Interzone for one to F&SF with Stewart Baker. So I'm sure if you post a message here or somewhere offering to do the same, someone will respond.

morshana

Postby morshana » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks! I will push onward! *bites nails about which submission to send next*
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:31 am

I'd be willing to swap on submissions to Interzone and Black Static. Mighty expensive rejections, otherwise.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:34 am

Will it confuse the people at the magazine, though, to get an envelope postmarked from their own country when the author lives abroad?
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:55 am

morshana wrote:Will it confuse the people at the magazine, though, to get an envelope postmarked from their own country when the author lives abroad?

Looking at their website, the instructions are "Overseas submissions should always be disposable and accompanied by an email address for reply". In other words we won't get the printout back but they are willing to respond by email. This saves including SAE.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Just got my second-in-a-row "Well done but not quite right for me; look forward to the next one" rejection from Sheila at Asimov's. wotf007 and wotf005
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:18 pm

morshana wrote:Just got my second-in-a-row "Well done but not quite right for me; look forward to the next one" rejection from Sheila at Asimov's. wotf007 and wotf005

Woot! I need to get another sci-fi story up and running (or back from markets) so I can send her another one.
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:
morshana wrote:Just got my second-in-a-row "Well done but not quite right for me; look forward to the next one" rejection from Sheila at Asimov's. wotf007 and wotf005

Woot! I need to get another sci-fi story up and running (or back from markets) so I can send her another one.

Yes, Rebecca!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Jeffrey

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:19 pm

That's awesome! Two in a row from Asimov's, three in a row from F&SF. Any day now I'll be reading your stories in both of them. wotf007
HM x 6

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:20 pm

You must be close then, and F&SF too! I've had two of those type rejections too from Asimov's, but with a gap of about 2 years between 'em, lol. wotf001 Though this year I've also had one from Analog and one from Clarkesworld, all on different stories so I'm hoping I'm beginning to do something right.

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Jeffrey wrote:

That's awesome! Two in a row from Asimov's, three in a row from F&SF. Any day now I'll be reading your stories in both of them. wotf007

That would be awesome. All I can do is keep submitting and hope for the best!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:44 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:

You must be close then, and F&SF too! I've had two of those type rejections too from Asimov's, but with a gap of about 2 years between 'em, lol. wotf001 Though this year I've also had one from Analog and one from Clarkesworld, all on different stories so I'm hoping I'm beginning to do something right.

That's great! Any day for you! wotf007
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Very good Morshana

But can I be jealous now?

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:17 pm

A personal rejection for my DF SF story 'Lies I tell Myself' That included this feedback...

The way in which the story is framed is interesting, particularly the nod at the end towards Doubting Thomas. The narrator’s revelation after following Nick’s soul after death was a creative approach to the possibilities of mind reading. We felt, however, that the conflict between the narrator and the scientists, as well as the narrator’s understanding of his new ability, could have be developed more.

Onto the next market --- on a side note I got my first payout ever from Amazon for my short story collection.
$10! I'm Rich!
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 1
Current Rejection Streak: 0

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:38 pm

bobsandiego wrote:A personal rejection for my DF SF story 'Lies I tell Myself' That included this feedback...

The way in which the story is framed is interesting, particularly the nod at the end towards Doubting Thomas. The narrator’s revelation after following Nick’s soul after death was a creative approach to the possibilities of mind reading. We felt, however, that the conflict between the narrator and the scientists, as well as the narrator’s understanding of his new ability, could have be developed more.

Onto the next market --- on a side note I got my first payout ever from Amazon for my short story collection.
$10! I'm Rich!

Nice feedback, Bob! And I'm looking forward to my first $10 payout from Amazon,too. It's so exciting! Congratulations!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:57 pm

bobsandiego wrote:A personal rejection for my DF SF story 'Lies I tell Myself' That included this feedback...

$10! I'm Rich!

That's great, Bob!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Jeffrey

Postby Jeffrey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:27 am

Received a personal rejection from tor.com. They had pulled it aside for further consideration because of the "interesting premise & smooth prose" but had a hard time identifying with the main character (she has Aspergers, but my fault for not making that clear). This story was my V30 Q1 HM. They also asked to see more of my work. wotf007
HM x 6

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:05 am

Jeffrey wrote:Received a personal rejection from tor.com. They had pulled it aside for further consideration because of the "interesting premise & smooth prose" but had a hard time identifying with the main character (she has Aspergers, but my fault for not making that clear). This story was my V30 Q1 HM. They also asked to see more of my work. wotf007

That's great! wotf007
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”