Inscription Magazine

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
Davian Aw

Inscription Magazine

Postby Davian Aw » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:41 pm

Fairly new pro magazine. They recently closed for submissions, but will open again next year.
Their focus is SFF for teenagers, up to 9k words at 6 cents per word. Response time is an average of 2 months, though works under consideration can take a lot longer (they've been holding on to one of mine for 8 months now).
http://www.inscriptionmagazine.com/submissions/

Benjamin Tyler Smith

Re: Inscription Magazine

Postby Benjamin Tyler Smith » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:15 am

I submitted a YA fantasy story to them back on August 8th, and haven't heard anything since. I suppose no news is good news, but according to Duotrope they haven't sent out any rejections/acceptances since October 17th, so maybe they're just backlogged. Hopefully with being temporarily closed to submissions they'll get caught up.
1xHM
Finalist, Baen Fantasy Adventure Award, 2018
Finalist, Jim Baen Memorial Award, 2019

Twitter: @BenTylerSmith

preston

Postby preston » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Yeah, I've had a story there since July 8. They put a note on their website that they are backlogged and trying to catch up. I've got high hopes for my submission. Good luck, Benjamin! Maybe we'll share an issue? That would be awesome.

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:41 pm

preston wrote:Yeah, I've had a story there since July 8. They put a note on their website that they are backlogged and trying to catch up. I've got high hopes for my submission. Good luck, Benjamin! Maybe we'll share an issue? That would be awesome.

I'm July 3rd submission. Was wondering what was going on. Thanks for the heads up on current situation.
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

preston

Postby preston » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:56 pm

For those who have stories pending at Inscription, this just in:

This Time For Sure

Hey, everyone!

Editor-in-chief here — I know a lot of you have been pretty frustrated with us lately, and I don’t blame you! We were hoping to have responses out and stories up at a rapid pace in the last several months, and instead it’s been pretty slow-to-none progress, especially as far as most of you can see.

In the last year, I’ve unexpectedly ended up with a new house and a new job, on top of some ongoing medical problems I hoped were in the past. Editing a magazine for free while moving, working, finishing grad school and/or ill has been a bit more exhausting than I bargained for. So I’ve fallen behind!

I know I’ve promised a sudden increase in responses a few times now. See the title: this time for sure. I’m hoping to start getting responses out the door and stories back up on the site pretty rapidly, so take a deep breath and keep your eyes on your inboxes.

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks for the update, Preston!

Davian Aw

Postby Davian Aw » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:42 am

Thanks for the update!

The Submissions Grinder registers: "421 day Rejection, Form from Inscription on March 15"

That one's got to hurt. :(

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Davian Aw wrote:Thanks for the update!

The Submissions Grinder registers: "421 day Rejection, Form from Inscription on March 15"

That one's got to hurt. :(

That one's mine actually. wotf001 Needless to say, I'm not keen on sending another story their way.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:41 am

Austin,
Was it in reply to a query?

That's where I figure most outliers lie. With queries.
I once queried WotF after 364 days. Had the grinder been around then, I suppose it would have looked like a very long rejection...
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:55 pm

Nope, not a query; they just finally got around to getting back to me. They were having trouble getting through all their submissions, which is why it took so long to begin with, and I'd sent them an older story, so I was more interested in the new stuff I was writing than in following up on pending submissions.

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”