Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 32

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustan Moon

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 32

Postby Dustan Moon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:51 pm

JenD-F wrote:Bob, don't despair...I just heard from Joni.

Looks like I'm a finalist!!!!

I'm kind of blown away.... wotf015

Congratulations! What was the call like? And did you need CPR after?

~Moon~

Tielore

Postby Tielore » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:05 pm

So, I just submitted my Silver HM story to Azimov's Science Fiction.
Does anyone know how long after a story prints in a magazine I would be able to re-print it as a possible self-published novella? What's the typical time frame on a contract like?

MickeyHunt

Postby MickeyHunt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Dustan Moon wrote: "On the level of worldbuilding and writing alone, this was one of the strongest stories in the quarter--perhaps the very strongest. I so wanted to make it a finalist."

Cool stuff. We'll look for it in print soon somewhere big.

No word yet on my entry.

UPDATE: It's nearly 10 PM EDT. Joni wrote back this evening to tell me my story received an Honorable Mention. I'm somewhat consoled. Congrats and commiserations all around as appropriate. wotf009
Last edited by MickeyHunt on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:01 pm

Congrats to the finalists! This quarter is going fast compared to the last. (I'm not just saying that because I got my Q3 result less then week after my Q2 result, whereas I has to wait 6 months between Q1 and Q2.)
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

elratliff

Postby elratliff » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:19 pm

Tielore wrote:So, I just submitted my Silver HM story to Azimov's Science Fiction.
Does anyone know how long after a story prints in a magazine I would be able to re-print it as a possible self-published novella? What's the typical time frame on a contract like?

Tielore, you might want to look at the SFWA model magazine contract. Every magazine has different policies, but the SFWA model, for the most part, is a good representative of typical. The short answer to your question is six months, but I know of at least two magazines (IGMS and Tor.com) that want exclusive rights for one year. And I remember reading somewhere on this forum (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) that the Writers of the Future Anthology lets you reprint with no waiting period.
http://www.sfwa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ModelMagazineContract.pdf
1 x SHM
1 x HM
2 x R

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Grats HL and Jen!
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:16 pm

Woohoo!

I've heard of one other finalist call through other sources. He also got the call today.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:24 pm

It really is not despair.
I'm in no position nor do I have the inclination to complain. I've signed with a great agency. My novel is out on submission, (Six weeks and counting for the current editor) I had a short get a contract offer recently, my current novel is coming along nicely, all in all my writing life is better than it ever has been.
If my style doesn't work for Dave? Well, as in all things 'your mileage may vary.'
I know I broke one of his rules and on that alone it is likely he bounced it after two pages.
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:34 pm

P.S. to my last post:

I do despair that I think I'm going to have to kill my D&D game. It's broken and can't be fixed.
Literary saboteur
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Popping in to say congrats to all the HMs, SHMs, Semi-Finalists, and (woot!) Finalists! Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for final results.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:03 pm

bobsandiego wrote:P.S. to my last post:

I do despair that I think I'm going to have to kill my D&D game. It's broken and can't be fixed.

What's broken? As a practiced player/GM, I might be able to help. Some things are more fixable than they might first appear (unless the problems involve inter-player conflict, in which case that is not always the case).
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:38 pm

In my experience, broken D&D games are the ONLY D&D games. wotf007

I once played a game where our cleric died, but we were could't afford resurrection. So we sprung for reincarnation...

He came back as a racoon and spent the next half-dozen games screaming things like "KILLLL MEEEEEE" and "TTHIIIS ISSSS HELLLLL" from the inside of the burlap sack where we kept him tied up.

Good times... Good times... wotf001
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:47 pm

s_c_baker wrote:In my experience, broken D&D games are the ONLY D&D games. wotf007

I once played a game where our cleric died, but we were could't afford resurrection. So we sprung for reincarnation...

Good times... Good times... wotf001

Dating myself here. We used to drive through the night to reach Lake Geneva, Wisconsin for the annual D&D tournaments at the HQ. As you worked through the eliminations, you finally got to have Gary Gygax as your DM, and the whole time your thinking "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy" which totally throws off your game. Word to the wise, NEVER launch a fireball in an ice cavern.

But it was cool getting the very first edition of the Monster's Manual.

~Moon~

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:55 pm

MickeyHunt wrote:
UPDATE: It's nearly 10 PM EDT. Joni wrote back this evening to tell me my story received an Honorable Mention. I'm somewhat consoled. Congrats and commiserations all around as appropriate. wotf009

Congratulations. Reread my Kevin J. Anderson quote. wotf008

~Moon~

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:48 pm

Congratulations, all.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:58 am

Congratulations!

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:54 am

Congrats Jen.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:11 am

Oh I'm pretty sure the D&D game is utterly broken.
I've been playing since 1979 and GM'ing almost as long.
Full out 3.5 with tons of splat books and its magical item creation and commerce rules is broken. This game is 60 runs old and so its far too late to pull that crap out.
Nope, I'm looking at killing the campaign and starting another....
Literary saboteur
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0

JenD-F

Postby JenD-F » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:53 am

Glad there is no despair. :) I got to hang out with Gary Gygax once on his front porch in Lake Geneva not too long before he passed away...but I'm afraid that doesn't qualify me to help your D&D game.

Thanks for the congrats and congrats to everyone just hearing! Good luck to all the other finalists. wotf009
Anthropologist by day, writer by night.

http://dornan-fish.com/

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:58 am

I can report at least one more Silver HM.
My friend Tanya, in the doomed D&D game and in my writers' group told us last night she scored the Silver HM.
Literary saboteur
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:59 am

bobsandiego wrote:Oh I'm pretty sure the D&D game is utterly broken.
I've been playing since 1979 and GM'ing almost as long.
Full out 3.5 with tons of splat books and its magical item creation and commerce rules is broken. This game is 60 runs old and so its far too late to pull that crap out.
Nope, I'm looking at killing the campaign and starting another....

It sounds like the rules are leaving your enjoyment of the game lackluster. Definitely not a good thing. If you're going to end the game, though, it's definitely better to bring the story to a solid conclusion than to just drop it. I've seen both types of endings, and I definitely prefer a solid ending followed by "Let's move on, guys!" to an abrupt "I'm not feeling this anymore, let's quit and/or do something else."

If you're wanting to focus more on story than rules, you might want to try out a different game system. Have you ever played World of Darkness? It's a modern day horror setting (although I tend to run it with a heavy urban fantasy twist). It's very character/story focused, with a relatively simple rules set compared to D&D (although if you've only ever played D&D the system is different enough to seem complex at first). I'm especially fond of the latest rules changes (starting with the God Machine Chronicles).

Other good story-heavy systems I can think of include Legend of the Five Rings (a medieval Asian fantasy themed game) and the Burning Wheel rules system (which is originally fantasy but has so much potential customization it's unreal). L5R is about on par with World of Darkness when it comes to ease of learnability. Burning Wheel is a little harder, just because of how different it is from most of the other stuff I've played. They also produce the Mouseguard RPG, though, which is kind of like Burning Wheel Lite as well as amazing, adorable fun.

On another note, I've never actually played 5th Edition D&D myself but I've been told it's actually *really* good. From what I've heard, it simplifies a lot of things without going the so-simple-it-might-as-well-be-a-video-game route that 4th Edition took. (I have a love/hate relationship with 4e. On the one hand, it really is easy to learn and easy to play! On the other hand, it's really hard to get any serious level of character customization.)

...Sorry. Tabletop RPGs are kind of my niche. wotf011 I've thought about creating my own more than once...
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:08 am

I too - more than once - have tried designing my own table top RPG games. The one I have the most work on is OFFWORLD an SF setting RPG.
Thanks for all the feedback on the game.
I'm not into week 7 waiting on Baen ....
Literary saboteur
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:10 pm

All right, do I get to call time on this unintelligibility?

In my world D&D is what the police write down in their notebooks when they pull you in for dancing in the middle of Sauchiehall Street on a Saturday night. Drunk and Disorderly, that means.

I cannot believe Bob has not been sober since 1979 but getting your words in the wrong order might reduce your chances in WotF. You could try telling the fuzz that you are a quality controller and your job was to find out if the whisky in the bottom of the bottle tasted the same as the whisky at the top.

I confess I do have a game on my computer. It's called chess. I have to cheat to exist at level 6. That's on the feeble side of NEAGM (not exactly a grand master).

I do not understand how a game can be broken. On the other hand I do recall Neil Sedaka singing Solitaire. That's a kind of card game, I believe.

And special good wishes to HL, who is a bona fide corrector of my nonsense in past years.

wotf006
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:48 pm

D&D = Dungeons and Dragons. wotf009 We're talking about tabletop roleplaying games, which are basically make believe for adults (with rules to avoid the "I hit you!" "No you didn't!" phenomenon).

There are any number of reasons a tabletop roleplaying game can be broken, especially with Dungeons and Dragons (which I shall resume the acronym for presently). Essentially, the more rules the game has the more they can be broken. D&D started out as a combat simulation game and expanded from there, so it has *tons* of rules (and therefore tons of ways around them).

Dr.ForumStalker

Postby Dr.ForumStalker » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:32 pm

I purchased my first and only D&D (yes the one in the red box!) game in 1978 when my son was 2 years old and had to put it away for 5 years because I couldn't find anyone to play with until he was old enough to read and understand the rules. We enjoyed the game for several years after that, but I backed away as the game became more and more complex. He remains quite involved, but I turned to MTG to satisfy my need for competitive gaming. wotf022
V32 Q3: HM
R: So many that I have lost count
Other: Finalist in Sci-Fest LA's The Rowell Award for Short Fiction 2015

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:56 pm

Ishmael wrote:All right, do I get to call time on this unintelligibility?

I cannot believe Bob has not been sober since 1979 but getting your words in the wrong order might reduce your chances in WotF. You could try telling the fuzz that you are a quality controller and your job was to find out if the whisky in the bottom of the bottle tasted the same as the whisky at the top.

wotf006

Reality doesn't care what you believe.
Also If words I put order in then wrong by definition not be can

wotf013
Literary saboteur
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:33 am

I am so relieved to find that RPG stands for Role Playing Games, because in my stories it stands for Rocket Propelled Grenade and you shouldn't be playing with such things. In fact if you go on talking about them we shall have the CIA all over this forum, if they aren't already.

Blast! We've been sussed.

You see what I mean, the CIA - Cockney 'Istorians of Aldgate (that's on the Circle Line between Tower Hill and Liverpool Street.)

wotf021

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:51 am

Ishmael wrote:I am so relieved to find that RPG stands for Role Playing Games, because in my stories it stands for Rocket Propelled Grenade and you shouldn't be playing with such things. In fact if you go on talking about them we shall have the CIA all over this forum, if they aren't already.
wotf021

Ahh Ishmael if this were an episode of QI right now the non-klaxon klaxons would be sounded and a large graphic 'Rocket Propelled Grenade' would be flashing behind you.

RPG is a Russian weapon and surprisingly they did not name them in English. The letters actually stand for Hand Anti-Tank Grenade Launcher.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket-propelled_grenade

We writers know odd and trivia bits of information.
Literary saboteur
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:11 am

My usual distaste for neologisms shall henceforth be extended to the alleged word backronym. This may be witty but shows a deplorable lack of classical education. George will perhaps tell us what the word should really be.

If I'd known it was one of these I'd have called it a Blue Whale.

Anyway, I've decided that SILVER is one of those too. Depending on whether I've got one or not it stands for:

Shows I'm Liable to Very Extraordinary Ratiocinations wotf013

or

Somewhat Irritating Less Valuable Examination Result wotf014

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:12 am

Too late! Backronym is already ensconced in the venerable halls* of the OED:
Brit. /ˈbakrənɪm/ , U.S. /ˈbækrəˌnɪm/
Forms: 19– backronym, 19– bacronym.
Etymology: Blend of back adj. and acronym n.

An acronym formed from a phrase whose initial letters spell out a particular word or words, chosen to enhance memorability. Also: a contrived explanation of an existing word's origin, positing it as an acronym. Hence: the phrase used to form (or contrived to explain) such an acronym.

(*Maybe a bit of a mixed metaphor here. Oh well.)

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”