Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
disgruntledpeony

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 34

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:36 pm

I know what I need to do to get my story where it needs to go, but have been having serious non-writing problems at work that are ruining my mood come writing time. This is not a time to give in to depression! wotf024 (Also, not a time to give in to that fear that this story isn't good enough. I've still got the chance to fix it.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:44 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I know what I need to do to get my story where it needs to go, but have been having serious non-writing problems at work that are ruining my mood come writing time. This is not a time to give in to depression! wotf024 (Also, not a time to give in to that fear that this story isn't good enough. I've still got the chance to fix it.)

You can do it!!! wotf024
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:35 am

Peony,

I sent you an e-mail through the forum, but I don't think you got it (I sent several and heard no replies).
I fear that may be broken as well.

I'll send you a PM instead. Check the top of the forum page for a (1 new message). Hopefully that goes through OK.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:03 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Peony,

I sent you an e-mail through the forum, but I don't think you got it (I sent several and heard no replies).
I fear that may be broken as well.

I'll send you a PM instead. Check the top of the forum page for a (1 new message). Hopefully that goes through OK.

I never got those e-mails. Thanks for sending the PM! I sent you a reply. wotf008
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:22 am

Cool.
I replied.

I also sent a PM to MOON. I hope he sees it.

I wonder if Brad or Martin can fix this puppy soon. wotf005
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:10 pm

Late with my story, should have worked on it last weekend but hardly touched it. I think I am about half way done. If so it will a short one for me. Lately most of my WotF stories have been pushing the max for the contest. So far this one won't. But tonight it took a turn I didn't expect. That won't effect the ending I have more or less planned but it will change the thinking of my MC and help him with a significant problem he has.

Those pesky mini sparkly purple flying unicorns can make a mess of things. He still doesn't know how to chase them away. Loud noises don't work, ditto smells, owl, raptor, large griffin lookalikes just don't scare them. Neither do showing them various weapons.

No, no, no. No unicorns of any types, sizes or colors in my tale. Even though one day maybe in a future story.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:30 am

A friend who was in the US Army once told me that: No problem cannot be solved through the sufficient application of high explosives. (Yeah, it's a double negative, but what do you want from a grunt?)

Some of my favorite stories end with a bang: Star Wars movies especially.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:54 am

Like high explosives, unicorns are underutilized in writing. Thank Celestia My Little Pony came along to change all that...
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:44 am

The succinct history of a Victorian War as given in 1066 And All That

"The Zulu War

Cause: The Zulus.
Zulus exterminated.
Peace with Zulus."

These methods are no longer considered PC (except in The Kremlin).
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

pdblake

Postby pdblake » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:28 am

Anyone else had an email from Joni wishing Happy Christmas and saying that your submission is showing as being in draft still?

I've logged in and can see my submission. There's no way of telling what state it is in to be honest and no options to do anything with it. It's just a copy of the entry form as far as I can tell.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:01 am

Ishmael wrote:The succinct history of a Victorian War as given in 1066 And All That

"The Zulu War

Zulus exterminated.
Peace with Zulus."

True, but PC is no longer considered PC apparently. We are returning to an age of overly simplistic thinking much to our detriment.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:41 am

pdblake wrote:Anyone else had an email from Joni wishing Happy Christmas and saying that your submission is showing as being in draft still?

I've logged in and can see my submission. There's no way of telling what state it is in to be honest and no options to do anything with it. It's just a copy of the entry form as far as I can tell.

Yes, I got that email. It seems possible Joni clicked send on the wrong list of names, since my entry was submitted on 4th October. I emailed her a query.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:52 am

amoskalik wrote:
Ishmael wrote:The succinct history of a Victorian War as given in 1066 And All That

"The Zulu War

Zulus exterminated.
Peace with Zulus."

True, but PC is no longer considered PC apparently. We are returning to an age of overly simplistic thinking much to our detriment.

Yes. I'd intended this as a comment about Kentagion's friend's notion on the application of sufficient HE. In point of fact, of course, we see in retrospect that such policies have a habit of bankrupting the applier of HE and alienating the survivors thereof, such that two new problems are created in place of the one solved. Unfortunately the opposite policy sometimes results in the moral bankruptcy of non-appliers and exploitation of the consequent power vacuum by inimical interests. As Plato remarked about the refusal of good men to undertake the burden of government - if you won't do it, somebody worse than you will.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:50 am

Ishmael wrote: As Plato remarked about the refusal of good men to undertake the burden of government - if you won't do it, somebody worse than you will.

Ah, I see. Of course they didn't have high explosives in Plato's day, or twitter, both of which appear to amplify the dangers.

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:47 am

Feeling a bit confused this morning. Last night I got the Holiday greeting email from Joni, but in it she said to not forget to finish my submission as it showed as a draft, yet I got my confirmation email on November 10th. Anyone else get a strange comment from Joni like that?

I tried in inquiring her showing I had confirmation, but now I'm a bit nervous about my submission.

wotf021

J'nae
R Q1 & Q2 2017

wotf024

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:11 pm

J'nae Rae wrote:Feeling a bit confused this morning. Last night I got the Holiday greeting email from Joni, but in it she said to not forget to finish my submission as it showed as a draft, yet I got my confirmation email on November 10th. Anyone else get a strange comment from Joni like that?

I tried in inquiring her showing I had confirmation, but now I'm a bit nervous about my submission.

wotf021

J'nae

I haven't submitted yet this Q, but I vaguely remember receiving such emails once or twice in past Qs.
If you already have confirmation from her that she received your submission, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:19 pm

And I'm in. Now on to addressing Christmas cards...
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:25 pm

All I wanted to do was help quickly solve a unicorn infestation. But just as so many conversations on social media have gone this year, the overlying social ramifications of pyrotechnic entertainment reach Stygian proportions. Fear not. HE solutions merely overdraw what began as a somewhat meager account. One needs only remember traditional lore behind genus Equicornis to suggest truly diabolical solutions. Said quadrupeds aggregate only when certain conditions are met. And there you have it, receivership achieved.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:58 am

Look, it is a documented fact that unicorns only browse in gardens, where they consume roses, tulips and lilies. All we have to do is go out into our gardens and check. If there are teeth marks on the roses, tulips or lilies, that proves unicorns are there, but hiding. On the other hand if there are no roses, tulips nor lilies it proves the unicorns have eaten them all and left.

wotf015

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:37 am

Ishmael wrote:Look, it is a documented fact that unicorns only browse in gardens, where they consume roses, tulips and lilies. All we have to do is go out into our gardens and check. If there are teeth marks on the roses, tulips or lilies, that proves unicorns are there, but hiding. On the other hand if there are no roses, tulips nor lilies it proves the unicorns have eaten them all and left.

wotf015

If there are roses, tulips, and lilies but no teeth marks, it only proves that unicorns are there but have gone in stealth mode.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:09 am

amoskalik wrote:
J'nae Rae wrote:Feeling a bit confused this morning. Last night I got the Holiday greeting email from Joni, but in it she said to not forget to finish my submission as it showed as a draft, yet I got my confirmation email on November 10th. Anyone else get a strange comment from Joni like that?

wotf021

J'nae

I haven't submitted yet this Q, but I vaguely remember receiving such emails once or twice in past Qs.
If you already have confirmation from her that she received your submission, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Joni got back to me. For some odd reason I show in the system twice, once as a draft and once as completed. So all is good. wotf007

J'nae
R Q1 & Q2 2017

wotf024

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:14 am

So now that there's only, like, two weeks left in the quarter (and I'll be traveling for the last one), I'd better get on the writing a submission thing, huh?

How the heck did all that time go by???
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 am

george nik. wrote:
Ishmael wrote:Look, it is a documented fact that unicorns only browse in gardens, where they consume roses, tulips and lilies. All we have to do is go out into our gardens and check. If there are teeth marks on the roses, tulips or lilies, that proves unicorns are there, but hiding. On the other hand if there are no roses, tulips nor lilies it proves the unicorns have eaten them all and left.

wotf015

If there are roses, tulips, and lilies but no teeth marks, it only proves that unicorns are there but have gone in stealth mode.

I just look for the rainbow feces. It makes spectacular fertilizer, so if your plants are growing exceptionally well, then you have unicorns.

To recap:
1. Teeth marks =unicorns
2. Plants missing = unicorns
3. Plants growing well = unicorns
4. Plants sickly = gnomes
5. Large crater where garden once was = unicorn deniers trying to eliminate the evidence of the unicorns we all know to be there

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:26 pm

amoskalik wrote:
george nik. wrote:

wotf015

I just look for the rainbow feces. It makes spectacular fertilizer, so if your plants are growing exceptionally well, then you have unicorns.

To recap:
1. Teeth marks =unicorns
2. Plants missing = unicorns
3. Plants growing well = unicorns
4. Plants sickly = gnomes
5. Large crater where garden once was = unicorn deniers trying to eliminate the evidence of the unicorns we all know to be there

Wow.
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks to some very helpful critiques and some serious editing, I'm now on my final push for the quarter. Should be able to submit my story by Christmas. wotf047

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:34 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:Thanks to some very helpful critiques and some serious editing, I'm now on my final push for the quarter. Should be able to submit my story by Christmas. wotf047

wotf024 Knew you could do it.
R Q1 & Q2 2017

wotf024

pdblake

Postby pdblake » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:43 am

J'nae Rae wrote:
amoskalik wrote:

wotf021

J'nae

Joni got back to me. For some odd reason I show in the system twice, once as a draft and once as completed. So all is good. wotf007

J'nae

I'll assume the same then as she's not got back to me. Pretty sure I got a confirmation after submitting anyway.

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Cool.
I replied.

I also sent a PM to MOON. I hope he sees it.

I wonder if Brad or Martin can fix this puppy soon. wotf005

Got it, Dustin, and replied. My bad, I haven't signed in for weeks, family visiting and all that goes with juggling schedules around. Really threw off my writing game, that and the screaming crash to the bottom of the cliff as I waited hopefully for "the call" only to write in after finalists started announcing, to find out the rejection somehow never got to me. So much for thinking I could improve on a story that was a former HM by Dave. : ) That blew out at least five in a row of HMs, a Silver, and an SF with Dave where he said it would have been a finalist if I'd just toned down the breast imagery (in my defense, they were mermaids! wotf007 ). Sometimes, I believe this contest is my nemesis. I've won a lot of contests, some against many pro writers, and I've had a couple pro sales, so this one just baffles me.

Nothing most of you haven't gone through...just maybe not as long. : )

I will continue to take my own advice...

Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:55 pm

I'm in. ...And the insecurities are already mounting. I must distract myself. ON TO THE NEXT STORY! wotf024

Athena

Postby Athena » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:42 am

I'm in for Q1! And feeling very nervous about sending him something I know will be a tough sell. Well, he bought a werewolf story last year, right?
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”