New Orleans-The Gulf

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
LDWriter2

New Orleans-The Gulf

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:33 pm

In my newest novel to be revised I have a chapter that takes place in New Orleans and on the Gulf. I have tried looking at some maps of the area but to me they seem confusing on a couple of points. I think I need to change a couple of details but I am not sure how to.

Is there anyone here who knows that area?
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

storysinger

Re: New Orleans-The Gulf

Postby storysinger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:25 am

I've lived on the Gulf coast for most of my life. I've passed through New Orleans a few times for different reasons; a ZZ Top concert in '77, mardis gras a couple of times. La. is shaped like a large boot. La. 23 runs south through the state until it ends at the docks at the toe of the boot where I was a forklift operator unloading ships during 12 hour shifts. Levees on both sides of the hwy. are all that keeps the water out.
One of my brothers lived there for a couple of years in Buras and Venus. We loved playing tennis against each other on a daily basis. If one of us missed a shot we would have to fight the mosquitos and yellow flies off before play could resume. I have fond memories of those times.
Flying in choppers to jobs on oil-rigs in the gulf was always fun for me as I love being in the air. Planes, hang-gliders, or parachutes get my adrenaline going.
Jobs I worked were roustabout, maintenance worker, sand-blaster, painter, welders helper, and others. Through all those times I've been an avid storysinger.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:20 am

Good wotf010

I have asked for help on two other places and no one responded.

Anyway, you tell me what is wrong with this, or if I need to add more. There are no copters in my tale so that part would be out.

My MC takes a train to New Orleans than a cab to small boat rental on the coast. She hires the owner to take her out to an oil rig. They get caught be a storm on the way back and almost don't make it. I go into detail about her on the oil rig and in the storm but that is the basic idea. On one map there seemed to be a bay that goes up to New Orleans but it I couldn't find it on every map.

and should I call them oil rigs or oil derrick? Or does it matter?

One last question. Are there any lighthouses near New Orleans on the Gulf? I looked but could only find one on the coast of Louisiana.

Thank you for any answers

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Your character would need deep pockets to get to an oil rig. We were evacuated anytime a hurricane entered the gulf. I'm not familiar with the bay by NO. I spent most of my time south of there.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:59 pm

storysinger wrote:Your character would need deep pockets to get to an oil rig. We were evacuated anytime a hurricane entered the gulf. I'm not familiar with the bay by NO. I spent most of my time south of there.

I wasn't think of a hurricane just a very bad rain storm. It came in further than the weathermen predicted it would.

But without helicopters they would need boats but wait a minute they do have blimps-airships. A small one could replace a copter. But(again wotf007 ) I need them in a boat. So a fast speedboat would take way too long to get out to a rig? I was thinking like very close to an hour of travel time.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:43 am

Choppers were used for the remote rigs. For shorter journeys we rode in thunder boats, they were loud and fast.
Once you approach the dock on a rig you swing on a rope to move from the boat to the lower platform. The rougher the seas the more hazardous the transfer. I let go of the rope once as the deck of the boat was dropping, big mistake. Another time a welder tried to swing with a toolbox in his hand. He slammed into the side of the boat and disappeared beneath the waves. Good thing he let go of his tools.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:47 pm

That sounds like it could still work in my scene

Thank you for the help.

But one more thing are there any lighthouses new New Orleans? And is that bay I saw on the one map real?

That's two more things but whose counting? wotf011

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:51 am

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... 30751e.jpg
I was a little skeptical about a lighthouse in NO so I googled it. Turns out there's more than one. Good luck with your story.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:24 pm

storysinger wrote:http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/1c/47/7e/1c477e7c641cf4566786911b9530751e.jpg
I was a little skeptical about a lighthouse in NO so I googled it. Turns out there's more than one. Good luck with your story.

I found some but they all seemed to located in a lake.

But this is for a novel. What I think is my best one so far even if a bit on the short side.

Thanks again.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”