Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Ysocks

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 34

Postby Ysocks » Sat May 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:
RSchibler wrote:
Ysocks wrote:
I've never received a rejection. Only contact post story has been a confirmation of receipt, and to ask if I'd like a certificate for my first HM

How do people on here know to update their status to rejected then? Just based on inference because other people were informed of HM or SHM etc?

While very nice to receive, HMs, etc., are still technically rejections. Only the winners and any published finalists are actual acceptances.

That's true. But the email wasn't to say 'You got an HM' It was 'Would you like a certificate for your HM'

I still have never received notification about status of a story. I always assumed it was a case of having to look at the blog post, unless you were a winner.
HM: Q4 2015; Q1 2016
SHM: Q2 2017
Finalist: Q1 2017

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 am

My latest email said

Dear Entrant,
 Your story has been judged and is a Silver Honorable Mention for the 1st quarter. (entry between 1 October through 31 December 2016)
Congratulations!!!
If you would like a certificate, please respond to this e-mail with:
1) the name of your story
2) your name as you would like it to appear on the certificate
3) and the address that you would like me to send it to.
4) If your legal name is different please let me know that too so your postman does not reject it because they don't know who that (your penname) is!
5) THIS ITEM IS A CHANGE:
I WILL NOT LIST YOU ON THE BLOG UNLESS YOU TELL ME YOU WANT TO BE ON THE LIST.
Even though you have never had to wait for results in order to submit for the next quarter, this hopefully
gives you incentive to submit for Quarter 3, which is happening now, the deadline being 30 June. The more often you enter, the better chance you have of winning and contest judges always tell contestants to write as much as possible.
I do urge you to join our forum if you have not already, or subscribe to our judge, David Farland's newsletter. Lots of great tips at both locations to help you.
I do hope you are already working on that next story and do let me know that you did get this e-mail.

Best regards,
Joni Labaqui

Did your email not have that first line "Your story has been judged and is..."?
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 5. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 am

Guys this was my first submission. The wait feels brutal. Lol. But do people start posting when results are announced? I keep checking my email and scouring through the spam--just in case wotf022 . Probably need to wait three or four or seven more weeks before getting antsy... wotf002
Brittany Rainsdon

hlreinhold

Postby hlreinhold » Thu May 18, 2017 11:30 am

thegirlintheglasses wrote:Guys this was my first submission. The wait feels brutal. Lol. But do people start posting when results are announced? I keep checking my email and scouring through the spam--just in case wotf022 . Probably need to wait three or four or seven more weeks before getting antsy... wotf002

Haha. This was my second submission, and the wait's getting to me, too. Or maybe I'm just prone to distraction! I spend far too much time checking the forum and trying to figure out when the results should be in, even though I know, rationally, that it's going to be weeks away. But hopefully the wait becomes a bit easier after a few rounds of submissions--and once I have a few more stories in circulation, this particular waiting game won't seem so bad... wotf017

I think people generally post as soon as they can, once they get their results.

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Thu May 18, 2017 11:36 am

Notifications tend to come in big waves - you'll see a dozen or so announcements here or on grinder over the course of a day.

Ever since Dave said he was starting on Q2 stories right away, I've been eagerly waiting for results, though mostly I try to focus on my next story. Mostly.
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 5. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Thu May 18, 2017 2:07 pm

Given I think Joni might have sent my emailed one to him twice because of how I got confirmation from her, and the fact I tried two emails I had I might get two notifications for mine. wotf017 I remember someone saying they got a rejection and, was it a HM for the same story submitted under similar circumstances. wotf021
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Fri May 19, 2017 3:43 am

J'nae Rae wrote:Given I think Joni might have sent my emailed one to him twice because of how I got confirmation from her, and the fact I tried two emails I had I might get two notifications for mine. wotf017 I remember someone saying they got a rejection and, was it a HM for the same story submitted under similar circumstances. wotf021

Yep, that was me. I submitted by email to both of Joni's email addresses. I got an early R, then several weeks later, an HM for the same submission.
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Fri May 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Randy Hulshizer wrote:
J'nae Rae wrote:Given I think Joni might have sent my emailed one to him twice because of how I got confirmation from her, and the fact I tried two emails I had I might get two notifications for mine. wotf017 I remember someone saying they got a rejection and, was it a HM for the same story submitted under similar circumstances. wotf021

Yep, that was me. I submitted by email to both of Joni's email addresses. I got an early R, then several weeks later, an HM for the same submission.

So if I get an R, I'll wait bit before i send it on else where then.
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Ysocks

Postby Ysocks » Fri May 19, 2017 2:36 pm

My Q2 story is a (redacted)

From things I've read, I'm not holding out hope or anything.
Last edited by Ysocks on Sat May 20, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HM: Q4 2015; Q1 2016
SHM: Q2 2017
Finalist: Q1 2017

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Ysocks wrote:[REDACTED]

From things I've read, I'm not holding out hope or anything.

All judging for this contest is anonymous, so it's important not to post information about your story. It could disqualify you. I recommend editing your post to remove the section I redacted.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?

amyhg

Postby amyhg » Fri May 19, 2017 5:19 pm

I'm finding it so hard to write this quarter! I've been experimenting with short short stories (usually mine are 10,000 plus words) and fantasy this quarter, which I've never tried before. Consequently, I've had two stories get ripped apart on Critters. So...yeah, not feeling great about my writing. I've been doing lots of critiques though. (Bet this makes people who got critiques from me think twice about what I said. ha ha.) Nothing like picking apart other people's work to temporarily inflate your confidence...okay, ego.

Mostly though, I'm hung up on my last submission. I poured everything I learned from the last year into that story and I actually still feel good about it so it's like I'm subconsciously waiting for Q2 results to come in to see if I've actually improved. There may be tears this time around if I get another R. *sigh* But I'll keep writing regardless. Heck, I'm not me if I'm not writing.

Maybe I should break my taboo and read over my story again before the results come out? Do a reality check.
v33: Q3, Q4 - R
v34: Q1 - R, Q2 - SECOND PLACE!

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:51 pm

amyhg wrote:I'm finding it so hard to write this quarter! I've been experimenting with short short stories (usually mine are 10,000 plus words) and fantasy this quarter, which I've never tried before. Consequently, I've had two stories get ripped apart on Critters. So...yeah, not feeling great about my writing. I've been doing lots of critiques though. (Bet this makes people who got critiques from me think twice about what I said. ha ha.) Nothing like picking apart other people's work to temporarily inflate your confidence...okay, ego.

Mostly though, I'm hung up on my last submission. I poured everything I learned from the last year into that story and I actually still feel good about it so it's like I'm subconsciously waiting for Q2 results to come in to see if I've actually improved. There may be tears this time around if I get another R. *sigh* But I'll keep writing regardless. Heck, I'm not me if I'm not writing.

Maybe I should break my taboo and read over my story again before the results come out? Do a reality check.

Actually you are not alone. Many here feel that second paragraph. Me too.

Experimenting is good though. Stretching oneself is training and fantasy or SF Or westerns or Mysteries most of the basics are the same. Try-fail cycles, how to do settings, etc. Well, mysteries might have a couple of different characteristics wotf011
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat May 20, 2017 2:18 am

amyhg wrote:I'm finding it so hard to write this quarter! I've been experimenting with short short stories (usually mine are 10,000 plus words) and fantasy this quarter, which I've never tried before. Consequently, I've had two stories get ripped apart on Critters. So...yeah, not feeling great about my writing. I've been doing lots of critiques though. (Bet this makes people who got critiques from me think twice about what I said. ha ha.) Nothing like picking apart other people's work to temporarily inflate your confidence...okay, ego.

10,000 hours to "master" meditation.
1,000,000 words to "master" writing.

Try not to be too discouraged by rejections, or too encouraged by sales if you're in the early word count era. Remember, most if not all of what we sell is editor taste. Early on you may match up with an editor who likes your story, then miss the next ten. It's a crap shoot for a while.

Eventually, you'll have your picture on the back of a novel and that's all it'll take to sell it. :)
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

inky_illuminarium

Postby inky_illuminarium » Sat May 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:10,000 hours to "master" meditation.
1,000,000 words to "master" writing.

Ack. I wrote all of 115 words yesterday, so at this rate...*calculates*...look for my bestseller in 2042! wotf001

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Sat May 20, 2017 2:16 pm

J'nae Rae wrote:
So if I get an R, I'll wait bit before i send it on else where then.

Good plan wotf009
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:22 pm

So more waiting?????????

It will be sooner than expected though.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun May 28, 2017 12:53 am

This is my first quarter- I now know why twitching is a common symptom around here! wotf030
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Q2, Vol34, R

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Wed May 31, 2017 5:45 am

RSchibler wrote:This is my first quarter- I now know why twitching is a common symptom around here! wotf030

*Twitch twitch* (my first quarter too) wotf011
Brittany Rainsdon

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed May 31, 2017 7:46 am

Grasshopper - twitching is sign of immaturity. You must seek calm place where you can put mind in order.

THEN JUMP UP AND DOWN AND SCREAM! wotf019
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .545
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

preston

Postby preston » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Incoming. The Grinder is showing one rejection. Long live Thursday!

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Good luck everyone! It would be awesome to meet a few of you in LA next year. wotf009

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:52 am

preston wrote:Incoming. The Grinder is showing one rejection. Long live Thursday!

Seems odd that it's just one rejection, and nobody on here has mentioned one either (maybe we're all that good). Anyone else thinking there's a chance it's an error?
HM - R - R

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:13 am

jficke13 wrote:
preston wrote:Incoming. The Grinder is showing one rejection. Long live Thursday!

Seems odd that it's just one rejection, and nobody on here has mentioned one either (maybe we're all that good). Anyone else thinking there's a chance it's an error?

The Grinder reports user input. GIGO as old programmers say.

Or a bug-eyed alien child in the future sends faulty data back to our time on a party dare.

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:49 am

kentagions wrote:
jficke13 wrote:

The Grinder reports user input. GIGO as old programmers say.

Or a bug-eyed alien child in the future sends faulty data back to our time on a party dare.

*CROSSES FINGERS AND HOPES FOR THE LATTER*
HM - R - R

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Could be someone from Q1 seeing the blog and not seeing their name as a finalist?
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:26 am

68 days on 2 June, so submitted late March. Who knows? wotf005
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .545
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:30 am

It never sprinkles notices. Like Morton Salt, when it rains, it pours. You'll know. : )

Eveyone will be saying, "Why are you crying?" And you'll reply, "I'm not crying, it's all this damn salt pouring down from the sky! Curse you, Morton!" : )

Cheers,

~Moon~

Jarebcollins

Postby Jarebcollins » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Dustan Moon wrote:It never sprinkles notices. Like Morton Salt, when it rains, it pours. You'll know. : )

Eveyone will be saying, "Why are you crying?" And you'll reply, "I'm not crying, it's all this damn salt pouring down from the sky! Curse you, Morton!" : )

Cheers,

~Moon~

Stop looking into my soul...! wotf019 wotf019
I cannot change the past, but I will help write the future.

shmansouri

Postby shmansouri » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Submitted March 6th. Confirmed. That rejection was submitted March 29th I think. Duotrope lists it as most recent. Fingers crossed!

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:44 pm

FWIW I just got another email from Joni confirming my Q2 entry was received (I was one of the glitch/email 3/31 entries). She wrote "We will have results in about a month from now."

Adjust twtichiness as you deem appropriate.
HM - R - R

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”