Contest Questions

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
manchowder1

Contest Questions

Postby manchowder1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:46 am

A couple questions on the contest:

1. It says that a writer cannot have more than 3 pro publications (pro being 6 cents per word or more) to enter. However, can you submit a story that was previously published in a semi pro market? (1 cent per word?) (or even a pro market - not that I have any :))

2. The contest rules mention no song lyrics. Im assuming this is exact quotes, but can song lyrics be referenced, IE 'Shinedown dared me to...'

Thanks!

amoskalik

Re: Contest Questions

Postby amoskalik » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 am

1. No, they want only unpublished stories to be entered. That also means you should not submit a story that you self-published or posted to your website, blog, etc. The rule you are referencing is regarding author eligibility. If you publish four or more short stories in pro markets, then you have pro'd out of the contest (always best to check with Joni first when this happens as there is some gray area on this one).

2. Publishing stories with song lyrics creates tricky copyright issues that they wish to avoid. Not just this contest, but most publishers find this a headache they can do without,so if you include lyrics in your story, be aware that you are limiting your prospects. Referring to them obliquely, as opposed to straight up quoting them, is probably less troublesome, but I'm no expert and can't say for sure. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 am

Hi manchowder1,
Rule #3 states the answer to both questions:
All entries must be original works by the entrant, in English. Plagiarism, which includes the use of third-party poetry, song lyrics, characters or another person’s universe, without written permission, will result in disqualification. Excessive violence or sex, determined by the judges, will result in disqualification. Entries may not have been previously published in professional media.

Professional publication includes any remuneration of any kind for publication (Money in any amount, copies, stock options, toaster or a lifetime supply of gum.).

Plagiarism: If you were to say that a character was humming McCartney and Lennon's Yesterday, or simply used the song title in italics, that is okay. Using someone else's lines, lyrics, text, video or pictures in a work - whether intended for resale or not - (Without express, written permission) constitutes the legal tort of plagiarism. Even similar sounding lyrics can be called into question. I do not work for WotF, but I can assure you that all members of the staff will protect the contest from any perceived legal threat. Nobody in the industry takes a chance with any ambiguity.

Sorry if my post is perceived as unduly harsh. Plagiarism is the unpardonable sin. Don't go near it.

Good luck,
Kent

manchowder1

Postby manchowder1 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:05 am

thanks for the response! I'll err on the side of careful :)

Katie

Postby Katie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:51 pm

Can the story be more than 17000 words?

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:21 am

Katie wrote:Can the story be more than 17000 words?

Nope.
Nor can it be over 68 pages of courier new 12 pt 1.5" margins.
(someone correct me if I'm wrong on the #s)

Reason: 250 words per page (printed) x 68 = 17000
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

PhoenixHays

Postby PhoenixHays » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:09 am

So I was racing against the clock last night to upload my entry to the contest...

1. How do I know that the submission went in for the quarter ending March 31? I couldn't find submission cutoff times (eastern v pacific).

2. I woke up in the middle of the night realizing that I didn't double space the story. Will they kick the story out of the contest for that?

Thanks in advance for the help. This is my first attempt to enter this contest.

-Phoenix Hays

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:00 am

PhoenixHays wrote:So I was racing against the clock last night to upload my entry to the contest...

1. How do I know that the submission went in for the quarter ending March 31? I couldn't find submission cutoff times (eastern v pacific).

2. I woke up in the middle of the night realizing that I didn't double space the story. Will they kick the story out of the contest for that?

Thanks in advance for the help. This is my first attempt to enter this contest.

-Phoenix Hays

1. I'm like 99.9% positive they key of Pacific time. They are based in LA. You could always email Joni and ask, but she's probably pretty busy with the conference starting in a couple days so you might not get a quick answer.

2. Probably not. This is a market designed for new people, so it's possible that Dave gives a longer leash to things like that. There are markets where it would be an auto-reject, though, so maybe treat this as a good reminder that "read the submission guidelines" is a super important part of being a serious writer.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

YM Pang

Postby YM Pang » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:49 am

1. It's Pacific Time. In Q1 the portal closed and I emailed Joni with my entry after it was past midnight in Eastern Time. She accepted it. I felt like a jerk and wouldn't recommend doing what I did, but Pacific Time is the cut-off.

2. Not sure. But I assume with electronic subs, it's a little less annoying (possible to reformat and stuff), so hopefully it won't be instant DQ. A print submission single-spaced probably won't make a good impression.
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 9xHM

"The Girl with the Frozen Heart" in The Book Smugglers.
"Final Flight of the PhoenixWing" in The Razor's Edge

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi PhoenixHays,

Rule #6, sentence 4 states:
Entries submitted electronically must be double-spaced and must include the title and page number on each page, but not the author’s name.

So, I have a different opinion on your entry's chances. On the bright side (if indeed it is rejected in the first pass), you will know exactly why it has been rejected. That's more than I've ever learned about my Rs and HMs.

Good luck,
Kent

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:53 am

Dustin Adams wrote:

Nope.

The exacting format page count used to be the correct answer, but my understanding is DF relented recently and joined the 21st century in using the word processor word count.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R

cfkreitzer@gmail.com

Postby cfkreitzer@gmail.com » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:42 pm

1Is there a date those who entered should expect to hear something back by? I can't find this information anywhere. I'm assuming before the next quarterly contest but that feels torturously far away.
2Also does anyone know if the rejects get any feed back on their piece? Or is it just a no.
3Do they get notified in order of being rejected so we can at least try and tell ourselves that it taking a while could be a good sign? :)

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:49 pm

1. Response times vary, you can browse old threads to get an idea. Q1 results will probably be out before the end of April. For Q2 I believe I heard in May last year. Maybe June? Just checked it was July 9, in the second wave because I submitted on paper. Long waits!
2. Semi finalists get feedback. The contest has many many entries so only those few get personalized feedback. I recommend swapping with people to get good feedback on your work!
3. You will absolutely be notified. Results tend to come on waves- a wave of initial rejections and then a second wave with the finalists being notified and the other tiers as well with a smattering of rejections, and then the final notification of the winners.

Hang in there!
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: Q1 HM, Q2 R, Q3 R, Q4 pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Every once in awhile, the first and second wave happen in one go. If it's going to happen, Q1 is the quarter I'd bet on.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R
2018: HM, ?

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:55 pm

I look for results at three and a half months. *Twitch*

If they're not in by three and a half months, I figure I've made the first pass. *Twitch, twitch*

When results come in on the Forum, but not mine, I... *Twitch, twitch, twitch. Hide under covers while poking Refresh*

When finalists announce on the Forum, I check to see if my phone is charged, that I'm using the right email, and reread my story for the eighty-ninth time. And I hope nobody sees that glaring typo on page three or that dialog that doesn't seem to fit this time on page twenty-two.

Finally, after results are all in except mine (Yes, this happened), I wrote a kind query to Joni, asking what may have happened to my entry. She wrote back with condolences and to ask if I would like to see the current tips on writing. I accepted the tips and stopped twitching.

AmytheAuthor

Postby AmytheAuthor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:49 am

Question asked from newbie Jason on the intro thread I'm also wondering...

Do they offer a critique for our entries?

Thanks!
Constantly writing in my mind, rarely getting it typed up.
Q1 35: R Q3 35:
. wotf052

morganb

Postby morganb » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:55 am

AmytheAuthor wrote:Question asked from newbie Jason on the intro thread I'm also wondering...

Do they offer a critique for our entries?

Thanks!

My understanding is they only provide critiques for semi-finalist entries and above. But I don't really know for sure because my entries have not reached above HM yet...YET! lol

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

HM x 1
R x 4

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:14 am

Critiques are for semi-finalists - ONLY.
So, eight (8) stories per quarter.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:18 am

Dustin Adams wrote:

Nope.

Just a friendly reminder: 17,000 on word count is the max you may submit. And it's actual word processor count now (YaY!), not publisher's word count, as described above. Dave weighed in on this change on my FB feed. You will see comments under the thread "Goodbye, Publisher's Word Count."

Hope that helps!

~Moon~

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”