Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Sataris
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Sataris » Fri May 11, 2018 1:25 pm

thanks all! very, very surreal
2017: Q4: SHM - forthcoming in Syntax and Salt
2018: Q1: 1st Place

Wulf Moon
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri May 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Congratulations, Sataris! First place is awesome, and you now have a one in four chance at the Golden Pen! That can buy a heckuva lot of bear repellant!

Well done!

~Moon~

Wulf Moon
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Congratulations, Preston! It is especially gratifying to see your win, because many of us know of your perseverance! I was really hoping for you, and I was not disappointed! I note the long gap in your start and final submitting phase in this contest, and as I recall, that was when you took a break from writing. As I recall, you are Topenga Canyon, Dean Wesley Smith's story about the writer that almost made it and then vanished. Well, Topenga Canyon is a success story now! Glad you fought your way back up, and get to enjoy the sunshine at the workshop, gala, and in the pages of a wonderful anthology!

Fortune favored the brave! Enjoy your well earned success! (And if I've got your story right, let me know and I'll tell Dean. He'd love to hear it).

All the beast!

~Moon~

kentagions
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby kentagions » Fri May 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Congratulations Sataris!

Best of luck in the finals.

YM Pang
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby YM Pang » Fri May 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Congrats, Sataris! wotf010 Just make sure you keep silent about the details of your story... You still have a chance at the grand prize!
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 9xHM

"Final Flight of the PhoenixWing" in The Razor's Edge
"The Cosmos Chronicler" in Polar Borealis #6

User avatar
preston
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby preston » Fri May 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:Congratulations, Preston! It is especially gratifying to see your win, because many of us know of your perseverance! I was really hoping for you, and I was not disappointed! I note the long gap in your start and final submitting phase in this contest, and as I recall, that was when you took a break from writing. As I recall, you are Topenga Canyon, Dean Wesley Smith's story about the writer that almost made it and then vanished. Well, Topenga Canyon is a success story now! Glad you fought your way back up, and get to enjoy the sunshine at the workshop, gala, and in the pages of a wonderful anthology!

Fortune favored the brave! Enjoy your well earned success! (And if I've got your story right, let me know and I'll tell Dean. He'd love to hear it).

All the beast!

~Moon~


Hey Wulf,
Thanks for the congrats. And yes, you're right, I am Topanga Canyon. I had no idea that I was the subject of a cautionary tale told by Dean Wesley Smith in his workshop about the importance of not giving up. I wrote 47 stories between 1986 and 1992. I was getting personal rejections, but had no idea how rare and valuable they were. I had no idea that magazine editors (and even book editors!!) were talking about me and hoping to meet me at conventions. The editors were all wondering who would be the first to purchase my first story. Then I disappeared. I gave up.

It's all true. I sold my collection of hundreds of books and magazines. The only thing I kept were the WOTF books. I cried as I boxed them up. My love affair with SF was over. I was having huge success with non-fiction, and after five years of trying to get published, I gave up. Funny, right then, I did get one story published in Midnight Zoo. It actually won first place as the best story of the issue. But it was too late. I was done, cooked. That was from 1986 to 1992.

Then in 2009, my boss at work gave me the E. Doc Smith "Lensman" books, and basically ordered me to read them. I did and I was back in love! I bought back all my books, and all the new WOTF books. BTW, I've read every volume (like Dustin mentioned in a previous post), and not just once, but multiple times. I love the books. I really thought I could win the contest. I always did. But when it didn't happen. I gave up. Now I was back and hungry. But I was also terrified. I had wandered the Plains of Rejection for years and it was miserable. I never wanted to go there again. WOTF had already rejected me 11 times in a row. But that's where I decided to start submitting. I figured, if I could at least win an HM, then I might consider venturing back into the Plains of Rejection. I used the contest to gauge my ability. I entered, and got an R. Entered again, another R. Two more R's followed. Then I got my first HM. It was a great day that I will always remember. I didn't know until I got the certificate. I was still too scared to submit elsewhere. It wasn't until I earned three HMs that I started to submit to other places.

To my delight, I immediately began getting nice personal rejections, and within a year, I sold a story. Then another. And another. And another.

You young whippersnappers out there have no idea how easy you have it today. Back when I was trying to submit, there were maybe ten paying markets for SF stories. Now, there are more than a hundred. And every story had to be delivered on the backs of snails. It wasn't easy.

Although my stories were now selling, my WOTF results remained spotty. R's and HM's--that's all I seemed to be able to do. While I made it out of the Plains of Rejection and in the Hills of Honorable Mention, there was this giant wall blocking my path to the Semi-Final Slopes. I couldn't get past them. But I kept reading Dave's kicks, and listening to the people here on this forum, and that's what did it for me, I think. I had no reason to think that my winning story had any greater chance than any of the others. I had just received four rejections in a row. I would've been very happy if the story won an HM. But it won! Second place, baby!

So yeah, don't give up. Ever. Follow your dream!

User avatar
preston
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby preston » Fri May 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Oh and yeah, I contacted Dean years ago to see if I really was Topanga Canyon. He confirmed it. Now, after I won, I contacted him again to let him know I won second place in the WOTF. I knocked his socks flat off!!! He had some very nice things to say. True story.

User avatar
DylCary
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:21 pm
Location: Earth (purportedly)

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby DylCary » Fri May 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Preston, your journey is truly inspirational!
"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
-Terry Pratchett

V35: Q1 (n/a), Q2 (n/a), Q3 (???)

User avatar
preston
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby preston » Fri May 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks, Dyl. I hope so. The only thing stopping people from winning is not entering. Many people have won on their first try. Not me. It took me 47 tries! I literally typed the paint off the letters on my keyboard.

User avatar
preston
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby preston » Fri May 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Okay, you want inspiration. Take a peek at this. I wrote it in 2011. Just found it on my computer. Here it is as I wrote it 7 years ago. It's called:

Why I Love This Contest (WOTF)
By Preston Dennett

I’m one of the losers. I’ve entered 17 times and haven’t received even so much as an honorable mention! And yet, I love this contest. I’ve bought every volume and read many of them several times over. I was invited twice to the awards ceremony, and was delighted to attend. I think the contest is the most exciting and inspiring thing happening today in the field of speculative fiction. Here are my reasons why:

THE STORIES: I’m an addict of speculative fiction. And the stories in the WOTF books are just so damn good. Unlike magazines, which often mainly publish material that accords to a certain style or theme, the stories in the WOTF books are startlingly original. They might be about horror, sci-fi comedy, an alternate history story, an alien-contact theme, an exploration of artificial intelligence, cloning…all these themes have won the contest. The thing that sticks out mostly though is the story itself. Of course I have my favorites: Jane Mailander’s Buffalo Dreams; R. Garcia Robertson’s Black Star and Dark Companion; Pulling up Roots, by Gary Murphy; Adjusting the Moon by Karaywnn Long, and so many others.

THE WINNERS: What is so amazing about this contest is that the writers are all amateurs. One of my favorite things about the books is getting to learn about the winners in the introduction to their story. As someone who has entered seventeen times, I can’t help but grimace when I read about those who won with the first story they ever wrote, or the first time they entered the contest; there always seems to be at least one of those in every volume. Of course, then I read their story and I’m forced to beg their forgiveness. And then there’s always another writer who has been entering consistently without a nibble and then boom, they win first place! That’s what Mailander did. And that gives me great hope. It’s very exciting to read about the new writers and hear their journey of success up to, during, and after winning the contest, especially when you hear about them winning Hugos and Nebulas and other major awards. Clearly, winning this contest is a Big Deal.

THE JUDGES: Something else I really love about this contest is the fact that it’s judged anonymously by leading writers in the field. The anonymity factor is huge. That means my story alone is being judged, and not the fact that I’ve previously submitted other horrifyingly unoriginal stories that didn’t win. The fact that the judges are all leading writers of speculative fiction makes the contest a wonderful way to gauge your ability as a writer. Each volume of the WOTF books contains essays by the judges. These alone are worth the price of admission as they give an inside look at the writing process and the contest itself.


Does the fact that I haven’t won mean that my stories are not good? Not necessarily. I’ve read in the books of other writers who didn’t win who are now enormously successful, such as Genevieve Bujold. And one of my failing entries was later published in Midnight Zoo where it won first place in a contest. However, the cream always rises. Look at Edward Kaldon who has only received four rejects and a much larger list of honorable mentions, quarter-finalists, semi-finalists and finalists, one which was published (the First Man in the Moon, Vol 24) Clearly, this man can write a good story. Oddly, he has yet to win. When I first started submitting to the contest, I assumed that each story was read by every judge. I later learned this wasn’t true, and that the main editor (ie: Budrys, Wolverton, Wentworth) culls all the entries from each quarter down to the very best one or two hundred.
While the actual number of entries is a closely kept secret, tidbits about the contest have been revealed. I now know that there are thousands of entries each quarter, which may seem like tough odds. And yet, I’ve learned there may be ways to improve one’s chances. Some reasons for rejection are: too serious, un-original, overly explicit violence. There is also a shortage of humorous speculative fiction and high fantasy, and an overabundance of unoriginal medieval fantasy. Originality wins over style.
While I took a break in the nineties and the 2000’s to write non-fiction, I now dutifully enter each quarter, sending in my “aching best” as Robert Sawyer advises. The contest is, I think, a new writer’s best friend, and I am going to keep on entering. And one day, just maybe you will see my name up there on the Writer’s of the Future Wall of Fame. Right now, I would settle for honorable mention.

STOP THE PRESS! I just received an Honorable Mention for my story, Sampson’s Moon, a thirty-pager about an old man who, while prospecting for alien artifacts on the moon, comes across a major find – a huge cache of alien artifacts, the ghosts of the aliens and the answer to the longstanding mystery of who the aliens are. I specifically wrote this story about the moon because I’ve noticed that it is a popular theme of the contest winning stories. And lo and behold, it worked! While I didn’t win, being mentioned honorably has given me the inspiration to step it up and write an even better story.

Wulf Moon
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat May 12, 2018 5:32 pm

preston wrote:Oh and yeah, I contacted Dean years ago to see if I really was Topanga Canyon. He confirmed it. Now, after I won, I contacted him again to let him know I won second place in the WOTF. I knocked his socks flat off!!! He had some very nice things to say. True story.


Hey, Preston. Yeah, I told Dean the day after you announced you had won, and I said he probably already knew. He did. : ) It's a wonderful story, and it will actually make Dean's story all the better. I've heard it several times, and I think I'm the one who found you in here when I mentioned the tale and you piped up it was you! Own it. It's great! And it inspires the rest of us. Nice posts you've shared to encourage others as well. Good on ya', mate.

Not to detract from your great story, but my story has similarities. I've been submitting since the mid nineties. I did get a semifinalist with Algis Budrys on one of my earliest entries, and after 20 years of shopping that story only to pro markets, finally sold that story last year to a SFWA pro pay market (anyone interested can hear the podcast on my website below). Another semi with KD Wentworth, who said I would have won had I not written a 17K story. And another with Dave, with similar comments. And so many HMs and such over the years I don't even count them anymore. I too have considered this contest the greatest honor an *amateur* writer can achieve, and with some pro sales under my belt was very hesitant about sending stories anywhere else, for fear I would pro out and lose this life goal (btw, I consider that decision not to send many elsewhere an error, and have now corrected that). Each time you get an HM or higher, you think, "I must be close. NEXT time I'm sure to win." On and on, for a couple decades, the proverbial carrot on a stick. Sometimes you can handle it, and sometimes, if life is stomping on you, you just can't take one more *almost* amidst everything else you're going through. So I do understand your personal Topanga Canyon, I believe, in my own way.

And now I know Topanga Canyon is a success story, and I too hope to climb out the other side. Hopefully this year, because it would be the coolest to meet you, and you'll be the happiest person on earth that day at the gala.

And winning is a BIG DEAL. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Maybe this will encourage you. Some years ago I was at Surrey International Writers Con, talking to Donald Maass, who was my agent at the time (on a Trek novel we did not sell, alas), and who will likely be my agent again when I finish the epic fantasy he told me to send him when finished. I don't think anyone can argue Don is one of the top agents in the speculative fiction industry (he reps Jim Butcher, for cryin' out loud). Anyhow, we were chatting in a hallway, and up walked a guy that said, "Sorry to interrupt, I just wanted to say hi to Don. I'm a WOTF winner and have a novel I'd like to send you." You could have heard the brakes screeching as Don stopped our conversation and whipped out his card and handed it to the guy. Don said, "At our agency, we take winners of Writers of the Future *very* seriously. A lot of great writers come out of that program, and we in the industry watch it closely. Here is my card. Please send me your manuscript. I'll be looking forward to it."

Boom. That fast, and the guy went on his way. There were people lining up on a wait list at that con just to try to pitch Don their novels with the hope of getting his card. And all that guy had to do was mention he'd won WOTF as he was passing in a hallway, and he got a great agent's instant attention and access. True story. WOTF opens doors. Anyone that says otherwise is blatantly ignoring this contest's history.

I truly wish you the best of success, and to all here that never give up. Keep writing, keep sending, keep believing.

Fortune favor the brave.

~Moon~

User avatar
preston
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby preston » Sun May 13, 2018 8:52 am

Wow, Wulf! Wow to all of it. I hope you win before pro-ing out. Either way, sounds like you know the secret. Never give up.

storysinger
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby storysinger » Mon May 14, 2018 2:47 am

Congratulations on finally winning Preston. wotf010 I knew you had been posting on the forum for a while but I didn't know your background story. Your success is one more inspiring event to help me get back to writing. Lately I had become caught up with rejectomancy to the point of completely neglecting writing any new short stories. The only productive stuff I did was edit a couple of novels I'm working on.
Watching the gala and now seeing you win has me chomping at the bit and ready to write again.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

storysinger
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby storysinger » Mon May 14, 2018 2:50 am

Congrats on winning Sataris. I can't wait to read your story.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

amoskalik
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby amoskalik » Mon May 14, 2018 8:06 am

Congrats Sataris!
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 am

Almost swept the top 3!
(There's always next quarter.) wotf013
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

User avatar
DylCary
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:21 pm
Location: Earth (purportedly)

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby DylCary » Mon May 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Great attitude, Dustin!
"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
-Terry Pratchett

V35: Q1 (n/a), Q2 (n/a), Q3 (???)

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby MattDovey » Tue May 15, 2018 7:09 am

Coulda sworn I'd posted this already, but it's not up there so I must not've clicked submit: congratulations both! Hell of an achievement wotf013 anything you want to ask about/talk about ahead of the workshop, my DMs are open on Twitter and my email's on my site. There's usually a group set up by Nick Tchan for past winners to pass on advice and such like (e.g. restaurants), too, but that may not be for a few months yet so if you wanna ask something in the meantime, please feel free :)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

jficke13
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby jficke13 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:42 am

I second what Matt said. Anything you want to know, feel free to ask.

Sidenote: Take past winners restaurant suggestions with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure they sent us to one as a joke ;)
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

YM Pang
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby YM Pang » Tue May 15, 2018 8:24 am

jficke13 wrote:Sidenote: Take past winners restaurant suggestions with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure they sent us to one as a joke ;)

I sense a story. Tell, tell!
Michelle Pang
http://www.ympang.com
1xFinalist, 9xHM

"Final Flight of the PhoenixWing" in The Razor's Edge
"The Cosmos Chronicler" in Polar Borealis #6

jficke13
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby jficke13 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 am

The facebook group Matt mentioned had a post about how "Fists of Fusion Island Grill" was the best restaurant they had went to during the week. Past winners kind of all posted about how great it was and so on.

The hotel is connected to what felt like a big open-air shopping mall (LA people with their effortlessly good weather <shakes fist at the Wisconsin sky>). So, like most shopping malls, there's a bunch of restaurants. We discussed go to this place, that place, but inevitably, someone would say "Well we have to get Fists of Fusion, all the past winners said it was so good."

One evening we did so. It looked fine... but not that great? It failed the "are other people eating there" test. But, that facebook group said it was so good! I tamped down my apprehension and went through the line to get my teriyaki beef and rice and whatever. I was maybe fourth or fifth in the group to go through the line, and after I got my food I joined everyone at the table outside.

"I think this is a meme," Jeremy said. I looked at him with confusion, not understanding young whippersnapper terminology, and he understood that my 31 year old self needed a translation. "We got trolled."

It was, in fact, not great.

I mean nobody was poisoned or anything, but there were a lot of much better options. The Poke bowl next door? Much better. The ramen joint? MUCH better. Fists of Fusion? Elaborate troll job.

Well played past winners who just want to watch the world burn. Well played.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

User avatar
Jeremyteg
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:38 am
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Jeremyteg » Wed May 16, 2018 8:23 am

jficke13 wrote:"I think this is a meme," Jeremy said. I looked at him with confusion, not understanding young whippersnapper terminology, and he understood that my 31 year old self needed a translation. "We got trolled."


As a 26-year-old high school teacher, I feel that translations between youth-speak and old-man-speak are part of my job. wotf011

Also, it wasn't BAD. It was just basically ok. I half suspect that the restaurant changed or something, but it's also possible that the past winners were just messing with us.

Also, Tim Powers eats lunch at a little diner across the street from ASI every day. It's alright, pretty cheap, and worth going to hang out with him. The ramen place we all went to in the mall was really good. There's also a waffle place where you can get a habenero, cheese, and chicken savory waffle sandwich AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT (mostly for the novelty, but it was actually really good).

I also recommend following in Jon and my footsteps and walking to Trader Joes for some staple foods and fruit and stuff if you're able. Eating out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a week can get real expensive in Hollywood.

And, to second what Jon and Matt have said, I'll happily answer any questions you winners might have.

AliciaCay
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AliciaCay » Fri May 18, 2018 11:44 am

preston wrote:
Hey Wulf,
Thanks for the congrats. And yes, you're right, I am Topanga Canyon. I had no idea that I was the subject of a cautionary tale told by Dean Wesley Smith in his workshop about the importance of not giving up. I wrote 47 stories between 1986 and 1992. I was getting personal rejections, but had no idea how rare and valuable they were. I had no idea that magazine editors (and even book editors!!) were talking about me and hoping to meet me at conventions. The editors were all wondering who would be the first to purchase my first story. Then I disappeared. I gave up.

It's all true. I sold my collection of hundreds of books and magazines. The only thing I kept were the WOTF books. I cried as I boxed them up. My love affair with SF was over. I was having huge success with non-fiction, and after five years of trying to get published, I gave up. Funny, right then, I did get one story published in Midnight Zoo. It actually won first place as the best story of the issue. But it was too late. I was done, cooked. That was from 1986 to 1992.

Then in 2009, my boss at work gave me the E. Doc Smith "Lensman" books, and basically ordered me to read them. I did and I was back in love! I bought back all my books, and all the new WOTF books. BTW, I've read every volume (like Dustin mentioned in a previous post), and not just once, but multiple times. I love the books. I really thought I could win the contest. I always did. But when it didn't happen. I gave up. Now I was back and hungry. But I was also terrified. I had wandered the Plains of Rejection for years and it was miserable. I never wanted to go there again. WOTF had already rejected me 11 times in a row. But that's where I decided to start submitting. I figured, if I could at least win an HM, then I might consider venturing back into the Plains of Rejection. I used the contest to gauge my ability. I entered, and got an R. Entered again, another R. Two more R's followed. Then I got my first HM. It was a great day that I will always remember. I didn't know until I got the certificate. I was still too scared to submit elsewhere. It wasn't until I earned three HMs that I started to submit to other places.

To my delight, I immediately began getting nice personal rejections, and within a year, I sold a story. Then another. And another. And another.

You young whippersnappers out there have no idea how easy you have it today. Back when I was trying to submit, there were maybe ten paying markets for SF stories. Now, there are more than a hundred. And every story had to be delivered on the backs of snails. It wasn't easy.

Although my stories were now selling, my WOTF results remained spotty. R's and HM's--that's all I seemed to be able to do. While I made it out of the Plains of Rejection and in the Hills of Honorable Mention, there was this giant wall blocking my path to the Semi-Final Slopes. I couldn't get past them. But I kept reading Dave's kicks, and listening to the people here on this forum, and that's what did it for me, I think. I had no reason to think that my winning story had any greater chance than any of the others. I had just received four rejections in a row. I would've been very happy if the story won an HM. But it won! Second place, baby!

So yeah, don't give up. Ever. Follow your dream!



Preston, very heart-felt congratulations to you! I could feel your excitement and energy coming off the page when I read your "I won" post! wotf015
And this post of yours here, I read it (at work) and had tears rolling down my face. Like real, had to blow my nose, tears.

Your perseverance and win is inspirational. I threw my hands up in excitement for you, so glad you got this!! wotf024

~Alicia ♥
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, Q3-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

AliciaCay
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AliciaCay » Fri May 18, 2018 11:48 am

Sataris wrote:welp, took some time to let everything sink in, buuut

wotf059
first place!

looks like you and I will be getting better acquainted, Preston! Congrats again!

in related news, when Joni called I gave maybe the weirdest response ever? it went something like this:

oh god thank you so much this is amazing (girlfriend screaming in background) we really needed some good news we've spent the last 2 weeks being stalked by a bear

long, strange-but-true story.


Yay, congrats Sataris!!! It gives me a secret joy to see another Coloradan win. Maybe the magic is in our state this year wotf001

~A ♥
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, Q3-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Alecia,
You are awesome. wotf009
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

User avatar
preston
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby preston » Fri May 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Aw, shucks, Alicia. You are sooo sweet. ***hands over a kleenex, then gets another for myself***
I really appreciate that. The afterglow still hasn't faded. I expect it'll remain for a very long time.
Everyone here has been so kind. I'm really really gonna miss entering each quarter.

AliciaCay
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AliciaCay » Fri May 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Alecia,
You are awesome. wotf009


Aww, thanks Dustin!
That warmed my heart wotf007
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, Q3-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

AliciaCay
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby AliciaCay » Fri May 18, 2018 6:30 pm

preston wrote:Aw, shucks, Alicia. You are sooo sweet. ***hands over a kleenex, then gets another for myself***
I really appreciate that. The afterglow still hasn't faded. I expect it'll remain for a very long time.
Everyone here has been so kind. I'm really really gonna miss entering each quarter.


You're welcome, Preston. I'm beyond excited for you.
You know, we all want to win so much we don't often stop to realize sometimes it IS about the journey and not so much the destination. Seems odd that we'd miss it after winning, but I totally get it. When I win, I'll miss it too... Lol wotf011
V32: HM (Q4)
V33: HM, HM, SHM, HM
V34: R, R, HM, HM
V35: HM, HM, Q3-TBD
https://aliciacay.com
"I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still." -Arthur Rimbaud

User avatar
Martin L. Shoemaker
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 am
Location: Michigan (more or less)
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun May 20, 2018 10:14 am

I'm late to the party, but... Congratulations, Preston!
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Wulf Moon
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 35

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun May 20, 2018 10:28 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:I'm late to the party, but... Congratulations, Preston!


A wizard is never late, Martin. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. wotf001

~Moon~


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest