NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Megan

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Megan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:34 am

Hello Forumites!

I'm new here and thought I ought to introduce myself since I've been stalking you all for about as long as Anike. I'm from Utah where I've spent my life riding my horses through the mountains in the north and redrock deserts of the south. I have two young children, teach freshman level biology at a local University, and type up stories whenever I have moments of free time which usually happens in the bathroom since there's a lock on the door in there. I've submitted the past two quarters and received HMs both times.

Love the encouragement and positive vibes I've seen here! wotf007
HM—2, R—1, V36 Q2 pending

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:16 pm

So many new members at once! Welcome, one and all! Some even receiving contest honors already! Do sign up for Storyteller's challenge in 4 and 36, it's the path to the win. If you're brave, also sign up for Moon's SUPER SECRET challenge. And do post in the Q you plan to enter, that's where all the chatter goes one. This is a meet and greet here. More champagne?
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

gayatric

Postby gayatric » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 pm

wotf006 Hello everyone. my name is Gayatri and I am from New Delhi India. I have been writing since the last two to three years and have been introduced to this group by a friend Brittany Rainsdon. she has won several honorable mentions and one silver mention and I am so glad that to join. I am in love with character driven sci-fi, and I hope to write one set in India. it's a niche market since I have yet to read a good scifiset or writen by an Indian author.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:10 pm

Hello, Gayatri! A friend of Brittany's is a friend of ours! She just won one more, a finalist! I like your idea to write SF set in India. Dave, the judge, loves interesting worlds and unique settings, so you've already got a good thing going. Do sign up for our challenges for Vol. 36, there's still time! And do say hello in the quarter you intend to enter, as that's where the chat happens mainly.

Welcome one and all!

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:21 am

Megan wrote:Love the encouragement and positive vibes I've seen here!

Welcome Megan, your statement describes what you get from here. wotf045

Swagat gayatric. I hope I have that right. It is my first time using Hindi.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

ddonche

Postby ddonche » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Hello everyone. I'm Daniel Donche, I tried to register unsuccessfully for a few years actually. Thought I'd try again and looks like the magic is in my favor this time. I live in Colorado Springs. I'm not new to the contest, per se, my record currently is R, HM, R, and I submitted a 4th story to 1st Quarter. I do both Sci-Fi and Fantasy, along with a bunch of other creative endeavors. Glad to be here.
R R HM R R
Everwind.us

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:06 pm

Welcome, Daniel. You'll find lots of helpful information here. Do post to the quarter you enter, and for extra help, sign up for the 4 in 36 challenge, or if you're feeling brave, the I have one going you might still squeeze into as well! You know about Superstars Writing Seminar in February in your town? I was awarded a scholarship to it, I'll be attending in February. David Farland, contest coordination judge, will be there. Several other WotF judges will be there as well. Might be worth your time. Cheers!

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:10 am

Welcome Daniel!
R - HM - HM

ddonche

Postby ddonche » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks. I actually did not know about that, Wulf Moon. I will have to check that out.
R R HM R R
Everwind.us

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:21 pm

Welcome to the Forum Daniel. I lived in Manitou and Colorado Springs when I was stationed at Ft. Carson. Wulf got my attention when he mentioned the Superstars Writing Seminar. If there's any way I can make it happen I will revisit your fine city and make it to the event. wotf008
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:37 pm

ddonche wrote:Hello everyone. I'm Daniel Donche, I tried to register unsuccessfully for a few years actually. Thought I'd try again and looks like the magic is in my favor this time. I live in Colorado Springs. I'm not new to the contest, per se, my record currently is R, HM, R, and I submitted a 4th story to 1st Quarter. I do both Sci-Fi and Fantasy, along with a bunch of other creative endeavors. Glad to be here.

Welcome, Daniel! Super excited you finally managed to get to register. wotf007 wotf010 The year or two where the forums couldn't accept new members was super frustrating.

Also, YOU GOT YOUR AVATAR TO WORK HOLY CRAP. *wonders if she can finally update her own avatar*
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, ?

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:36 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Also, YOU GOT YOUR AVATAR TO WORK HOLY CRAP. *wonders if she can finally update her own avatar*

I wonder about that myself. I use to have no problem loading avatars, but lately nothing works. wotf017
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

ddonche

Postby ddonche » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:20 pm

I dunno. I just resized the image to make sure it fit the parameters and it worked first time through.

storysinger wrote:Welcome to the Forum Daniel. I lived in Manitou and Colorado Springs when I was stationed at Ft. Carson. Wulf got my attention when he mentioned the Superstars Writing Seminar. If there's any way I can make it happen I will revisit your fine city and make it to the event. wotf008

That would be cool if you could make it. I can't due to current finances, but man. I would go just to meet David and Jim Butcher. wotf009 I always tried to get stationed at Carson, but alas. I was stuck at Ft. Drum my entire enlistment.
R R HM R R
Everwind.us

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:59 am

ddonche wrote:I dunno. I just resized the image to make sure it fit the parameters and it worked first time through.

storysinger wrote:Welcome to the Forum Daniel. I lived in Manitou and Colorado Springs when I was stationed at Ft. Carson. Wulf got my attention when he mentioned the Superstars Writing Seminar. If there's any way I can make it happen I will revisit your fine city and make it to the event. wotf008

That would be cool if you could make it. I can't due to current finances, but man. I would go just to meet David and Jim Butcher. wotf009 I always tried to get stationed at Carson, but alas. I was stuck at Ft. Drum my entire enlistment.

They do have Scholarships, but they've already been awarded for 2019's Seminar. Worth looking into for 2020!

aidanka

Postby aidanka » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:23 am

My name is Aydan Hasanli and no I am not a guy wotf007 I'm 28. I've been working as a journalist for 6 years. So far, I've travelled over 20 countries and lived in three continents (North America, Asia and Europe)
For a brief period i studied screenwriting in the U.S. and then switched to writing novels. I still keep my finished spec dozen or so screenplays. One day I either will pitch it to some indie studio or rewrite as a novel. As I already did with one of them.
I write since I'm 11 and strangely although English is my 4th language I write in English.
I finally decided to share my stories with the world.
I have one novel under my belt, and writing another one (the first in the series of 4). I'm going indie route and publish both of them this year. So, I guess this year might be my last chance to take part in this wonderful contest wotf010
But I guess I'll always be a part of this wonderful forum. Thanks to you guys I've sent to one of the Anthologies my short story and it was accepted.
Ough, I forgot to mention where I am from. But it won't matter prolly. Because rarely do somebody knows my country. I'm from Azerbaijani Republic. Yes it's an independent state with its own language, not a Russian village wotf019 wotf019 wotf019

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:24 am

Welcome to the forum Aidanka. I look forward to reading some of your writing.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

aidanka

Postby aidanka » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:54 am

storysinger wrote:Welcome to the forum Aidanka. I look forward to reading some of your writing.

Hey thanks for the warm words. Also, if anybody would like to be friends in social media accounts I'd love it wotf010 wotf010

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:48 am

aidanka wrote:
storysinger wrote:Welcome to the forum Aidanka. I look forward to reading some of your writing.

Hey thanks for the warm words. Also, if anybody would like to be friends in social media accounts I'd love it wotf010 wotf010

I love to keep up with the WotF folk on social media. Can you give us your links?
You can connect with me here https://twitter.com/juliaashely
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:35 am

I'm @jonficke on twitter.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:31 am

@mikewyantjr on Twitter.
WotF Results:
  • R:4
  • HM:6
  • sHM:0
  • SF:1
  • F:0
  • Last: SF, Q2 v36

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Aidanka, Welcome again if I missed you! Sounds like you are moving right along in your writing and career in journalism. Well done! Private message me and I'll be happy to give you my social media, but I'm only on Facebook. It's easy to find and send a request. I should mention that's open to all here, but do understand if I see a lot of rants against government and negative posts on your page, I'm not going to friend you. The friends I choose are all about positive energy and are focused on helping other writers--and artists!--achieve success. If that's you, ping me here or in FB. Cheers!

aidanka

Postby aidanka » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:49 am

JVAshley wrote:
aidanka wrote:

I love to keep up with the WotF folk on social media. Can you give us your links?
You can connect with me here https://twitter.com/juliaashely

wotf010 wotf010 hey Ash, I'm soo late to the Twitter game(. Do you have Instagram or Facebook accounts?

simplify

Postby simplify » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:47 am

Welp! After over a year, the forum has decided to allow me back in! Bring out the champagne!! wotf013

So, true story - in October 2017, I started submitting to the contest. I also signed up for the forum and made a whopping 2 posts or so, before I was perma-banned for - allegedly - spamming. Confused, I emailed the admin... heard nothing... emailed again... heard nothing back... and again, and again, without ever receiving a reply. A few months later, I gave up. I continued submitting to the contest, and the forum's programming continued to shun me. My account was banned and my IP (I have a fixed IP for work-related reasons) was also banned - I couldn't even access the public threads from my IP. wotf022 I became a forum lurker with the help of proxies, looking in at the goings-on in the forum much like a homeless person may watch a warm, happy family celebration around Christmas while frostbite eats at their toes. (Well, perhaps it wasn't quite as dramatic.)
Anyway, by accident, I discovered just now that apparently, I've been let out of purgatory - I was able to read the forums without even using a proxy! Hurray! Spurred into optimism by this development, after a bit of nail-biting, I decided to take the risk and attempt to log in to my account, half-expecting this to activate some sort of code red that would auto-ban my IP again and drive me back into the cold shadows of a proxy existence. But instead, I WAS LOGGED IN! SCORE!!
Miracles still exist, it seems. wotf001

All jokes aside - after this involuntary hiatus of more than twelve months, I thought another introduction was in order. Hopefully, this time I'll be sticking around! Last year, I submitted to the context 3 out of the 4 quarters, and one of my stories received an honourable mention. This year, I've already missed Q1 but I'm on track for the current quarter. I have a good feeling about this story, if I can just get it untangled and finished in time.

I'm happy to be on this adventure with y'all! wotf009

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:14 am

Welcome back to the forum simplify. I hope all your trials with participating here are behind you. wotf008
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

hannahAZOK

Postby hannahAZOK » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:50 pm

Hey all! So I've been off-and-on lurking for some time, but have yet to actually partake in the awesome that is these forums due to none other than the dreaded anti-muse: laziness.

I've written two and a half (oops) novels and a handful of short stories, my most recent entry nabbing me an HM for Q4. Mostly I write fantasy, particularly of the "epic" variety, though I occasionally dabble in sci-fi. Thanks to the momentum of another new year, I've managed to defeat the laziness beast - at least for the time being - and have thus vowed to enter the contest every quarter this year. I'm laying down the gauntlet by announcing that intention here.

I'd also like to wish everyone some serious GOOD LUCK this year! And also, a super big congrats to all y'all who will be appearing in Volume 35! That is seriously exciting and I'm looking forward to reading your stories soon!!

If anyone ever wants to do a critique exchange, feel free to hit me up! My "short" stories always tend to weigh in on the meatier side, so I like swapping with people who also tend to write stories of the well-endowed variety (there's more to love, dammit!). I'm also pretty active on Critters (maybe you've seen me?), so if you have something coming up in the queue, you can give me a heads up and I'll do my best to check it out. ;)
Hannah Azok
HM x1
SF x1
https://ownyourpowers.com/
"Believe in the me that believes in you!" -the immortal words of Kamina, Gurren Lagann

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:24 pm

Welcome Hannah!
WotF Results:
  • R:4
  • HM:6
  • sHM:0
  • SF:1
  • F:0
  • Last: SF, Q2 v36

hannahAZOK

Postby hannahAZOK » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:31 pm

michaeljwyantjr wrote:Welcome Hannah!

Thanks!
Hannah Azok
HM x1
SF x1
https://ownyourpowers.com/
"Believe in the me that believes in you!" -the immortal words of Kamina, Gurren Lagann

simplify

Postby simplify » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:26 am

storysinger wrote:Welcome back to the forum simplify. I hope all your trials with participating here are behind you. wotf008

Thanks! wotf007 I hope so too! wotf019

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Hannah Azok
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

AaronSmith

Postby AaronSmith » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Hey guys, I was at Superstars and Wolf told me to join up, so here I am! Looking forward to hanging with you guys!

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”