Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:59 am

chuckt wrote:
R.W.Ware wrote:Joni said we'd know by next week.


Which starts Monday! wotf003

I'll put my chips down . . . on Wednesday.

It's the week of the gala--I'm hesitant to gamble.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby RSchibler » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:33 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:
chuckt wrote:
R.W.Ware wrote:Joni said we'd know by next week.


Which starts Monday! wotf003

I'll put my chips down . . . on Wednesday.

It's the week of the gala--I'm hesitant to gamble.



Agreed. I’m guessing next week - I believe it was the week after the gala last year. They have enough going on.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:03 pm

RSchibler wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:
chuckt wrote:
Which starts Monday! wotf003

I'll put my chips down . . . on Wednesday.

It's the week of the gala--I'm hesitant to gamble.



Agreed. I’m guessing next week - I believe it was the week after the gala last year. They have enough going on.


Yeah--I don't see how they could possibly have time to do it this week. But she did clearly say in her email it would be this week.
36 R,R,R, Pending

User avatar
aidanka
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:26 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby aidanka » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:00 pm

I have an odd question. How do we send stories to Fantasy & Science fiction magazine?

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:05 pm

aidanka wrote:I have an odd question. How do we send stories to Fantasy & Science fiction magazine?


It is a little hard to find on their website.

Click on the below link and look at the bottom of the list of things.

https://www.sfsite.com/fsf/glines.htm
36 R,R,R, Pending

User avatar
aidanka
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:26 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby aidanka » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:21 pm

Thank you. I was looking for it for days wotf010 wotf010

chuckt wrote:
aidanka wrote:I have an odd question. How do we send stories to Fantasy & Science fiction magazine?


It is a little hard to find on their website.

Click on the below link and look at the bottom of the list of things.

https://www.sfsite.com/fsf/glines.htm

SCAFontaine
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:25 am
Location: Spain

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby SCAFontaine » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:58 am

Considering the awards ceremony is Friday, I doubt we'll get results this week. With the WotF updates on Facebook, Joni seems really busy. Also, I'm amazed Dave got through the judging so quickly considering his health issues.
2 x HM

User avatar
Dragonchef
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:53 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby Dragonchef » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:37 am

Last year it looks like the calls went out the week after the GALA, and the notifications for all else went out the following Monday (April 16, 2018).
So, relax. Have a cup of coffee or tea or whatever. Tickle your keyboards with wild imagination. Start shivering again next Thursday and Friday.
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

User avatar
aidanka
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:26 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby aidanka » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:17 am

You just destroyed my dreams. Every quarter I like to fancy they send out the first wave of R's. And I'm here waiting for the finals

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 am

Joni did say this week. wotf017 Do such proclamations often not come to pass? I certainly would understand them being overly optimistic what with the gala week and Dave's condition so defin not complaining.

Out of curiosity, do finalists get the call the same day the emails roll out?
36 R,R,R, Pending

KD Julicher
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:46 am

chuckt wrote:Joni did say this week. wotf017 Do such proclamations often not come to pass? I certainly would understand them being overly optimistic what with the gala week and Dave's condition so defin not complaining.

Out of curiosity, do finalists get the call the same day the emails roll out?



Joni has been known to be overconfident in her prognostications.

The results vary quarter to quarter. Sometimes we get a big wave of rejections, then nothing, then more results. Usually the finalists get their calls right when the last set of results go out, but recently the finalists have been asked to stay quiet about their news.
WOTF: HM x 9, SHMx1, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

User avatar
preston
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby preston » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:48 am

I doubt results will come out this week, guys. Both David Farland and Joni are here, and both seem to be quite busy with event stuff. Probably next week. Either way, I'm hoping you all get great news and are Finalists!

User avatar
JVAshley
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby JVAshley » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:01 am

I know it is too early to be hitting the refresh button on my email, looking for the results.
I know
I Know
But I do it anyway. wotf011
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

SCAFontaine
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:25 am
Location: Spain

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby SCAFontaine » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:49 am

JVAshley wrote:I know it is too early to be hitting the refresh button on my email, looking for the results.
I know
I Know
But I do it anyway. wotf011


You are not alone. wotf001 I really doubt it'll happen this week, yet...
2 x HM

KristyEmber
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:56 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby KristyEmber » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:56 am

I think it is good to be mentally prepared. Sometimes results come earlier than you expect, and an R-Grenade in your email is a nasty shock if you're not ready. That's why I always check the forum before checking my emails in the morning.

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:05 am

chuckt wrote:I'll put my chips down . . . on Wednesday.


Well, I lost those chips. Good thing they weren't real.
36 R,R,R, Pending

User avatar
Benjamin Tyler Smith
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby Benjamin Tyler Smith » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:44 am

Glad I'm not the only one who's been checking his e-mail all week. Managed to get an honorable mention for the first time during last year's Q4. Hoping to do better in Q1 and Q2 this year!
1xHM
Finalist, Baen Fantasy Adventure Award, 2018
Finalist, Jim Baen Memorial Award, 2019

Website: BenjaminTylerSmith.com
Twitter: @BenTylerSmith

KD Julicher
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby KD Julicher » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:08 am

So... NOW it's time to start twitching.

(Disclaimer: I have no insider info that makes me think emails and calls are coming any particular day)
WOTF: HM x 9, SHMx1, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3, V36 Q1
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:57 am

KD Julicher wrote:So... NOW it's time to start twitching.

(Disclaimer: I have no insider info that makes me think emails and calls are coming any particular day)

Yep, sounds about right. *sets up pillow fort, hands out blankets and hot cocoa*
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, ?

Wulf Moon
Posts: 1023
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:56 am

Dragonchef wrote:Last year it looks like the calls went out the week after the GALA, and the notifications for all else went out the following Monday (April 16, 2018).
So, relax. Have a cup of coffee or tea or whatever. Tickle your keyboards with wild imagination. Start shivering again next Thursday and Friday.


Wise words. Best of success guys. Try not to focus on the quarterly results, but on writing the next story. Channel the energy into something useful.

All the beast!

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

User avatar
ddonche
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:00 pm
Location: Colorado Springs
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby ddonche » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:08 pm

It's still a harrowing process once you become aware of it. I went the whole three months without really thinking much about it and then just off-hand the other day I decided to come here and take a look.

Now I can't get the thought out of my head. It just keeps saying, soon soon soon soon soon...

It's exactly like the time I tried to forget my birthday in Iraq. I wanted to go just one year without realizing it had already happened (I'm weird like that), and it was easy there because you don't use actual dates. You use encoded dates. Problem was, flights in and out don't use that system, they use actual dates. So I got within a day of my birthday. Went to check on our flight out of there and discovered the flight was on my birthday. Ruined!

Anyway. I think I'd rather get the email/call when I'm not expecting it. Surprise!
R R HM R R
Everwind.us

User avatar
aidanka
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:26 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby aidanka » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:10 pm

Moon, you’re always so kind to us wotf009
Wulf Moon wrote:
Dragonchef wrote:Last year it looks like the calls went out the week after the GALA, and the notifications for all else went out the following Monday (April 16, 2018).
So, relax. Have a cup of coffee or tea or whatever. Tickle your keyboards with wild imagination. Start shivering again next Thursday and Friday.


Wise words. Best of success guys. Try not to focus on the quarterly results, but on writing the next story. Channel the energy into something useful.

All the beast!

Moon

User avatar
aidanka
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:26 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby aidanka » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:14 pm

wotf010
I am also a weirdo. I gave myself a year off when I was at high-school. I justify it with my love to naps - it deserves a bonus year

ddonche wrote:It's still a harrowing process once you become aware of it. I went the whole three months without really thinking much about it and then just off-hand the other day I decided to come here and take a look.

Now I can't get the thought out of my head. It just keeps saying, soon soon soon soon soon...

It's exactly like the time I tried to forget my birthday in Iraq. I wanted to go just one year without realizing it had already happened (I'm weird like that), and it was easy there because you don't use actual dates. You use encoded dates. Problem was, flights in and out don't use that system, they use actual dates. So I got within a day of my birthday. Went to check on our flight out of there and discovered the flight was on my birthday. Ruined!

Anyway. I think I'd rather get the email/call when I'm not expecting it. Surprise!

User avatar
JVAshley
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby JVAshley » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:40 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:So... NOW it's time to start twitching.

Yep, sounds about right. *sets up pillow fort, hands out blankets and hot cocoa*

I'll bring the brownies. Give me just a minute. I'm on my way.
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

SCAFontaine
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:25 am
Location: Spain

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby SCAFontaine » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:25 pm

JVAshley wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:So... NOW it's time to start twitching.

Yep, sounds about right. *sets up pillow fort, hands out blankets and hot cocoa*

I'll bring the brownies. Give me just a minute. I'm on my way.


And i'll bring a classic movie to watch while we twitch and stuff our gobs in anxiety. Any suggestions?
2 x HM

User avatar
Dragonchef
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:53 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby Dragonchef » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:26 am

SCAFontaine wrote:And i'll bring a classic movie to watch while we twitch and stuff our gobs in anxiety. Any suggestions?

Casablanca!!!
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby RSchibler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:47 am

This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, HM, pending

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

User avatar
Dragonchef
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:53 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby Dragonchef » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:20 am

RSchibler wrote:This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

wotf001
R = 4
SHM = 1 (Q3.V32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
HM = Nada
wotf013

User avatar
chuckt
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby chuckt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:27 am

I figured wouldn't be yesterday. Maybe not this week either? They have to be still unwinding from last week.

Movie: Forbidden Planet
36 R,R,R, Pending

storysinger
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby storysinger » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:44 am

I believe the first R reported last year was April 16. So starting Thursday we will be checking emails and filling the moments with mental distractions. wotf004
Like writing something new. wotf024
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: storysinger and 1 guest