Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
KristyEmber

Re: Discussion: Q1 Volume 36

Postby KristyEmber » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:36 pm

LittleRed -
Did you have to send your story to Joni in an email because the site was down? If not, sounds like you might have a semi finalist.

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:39 pm

i entered as usual -- got the confirmation back ages ago. so ... no?? Trying not to get my hopes too high. lol
If this world holds no wonder, it is no place for me.

KristyEmber

Postby KristyEmber » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 pm

Although we also haven’t seen SHMs yet.

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Ahhh --- that makes sense too , KristyEmber

ddonche

Postby ddonche » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:13 pm

I have a question regarding these things, and if it's been answered somewhere then feel free to give me the hose again. If you get an R on a technicality, is there any way to know this? This might be completely wishful thinking, but I recently became aware of the Microsoft Word meta data it includes in the files and I opened up some past entries and found that my name was in the info under "Last Updated By".

Each time I get an R, I put my brain through a ringer trying to figure out what was wrong with my story. I study the hell out of everything David puts out, and I have (so far) about 6 of the anthologies, and I read the winning entries. I try to outdo myself each time. I think the hardest part is trying to figure out what you got wrong on the story. I feel like I'm shooting in the dark. What if what I think is wrong is not the thing that was wrong? Lastly, what if the story was actually great, but you messed up a technical issue?
R R HM R R
Everwind.us

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:26 pm

ddonche wrote:I have a question regarding these things, and if it's been answered somewhere then feel free to give me the hose again. If you get an R on a technicality, is there any way to know this? This might be completely wishful thinking, but I recently became aware of the Microsoft Word meta data it includes in the files and I opened up some past entries and found that my name was in the info under "Last Updated By".

Each time I get an R, I put my brain through a ringer trying to figure out what was wrong with my story. I study the hell out of everything David puts out, and I have (so far) about 6 of the anthologies, and I read the winning entries. I try to outdo myself each time. I think the hardest part is trying to figure out what you got wrong on the story. I feel like I'm shooting in the dark. What if what I think is wrong is not the thing that was wrong? Lastly, what if the story was actually great, but you messed up a technical issue?

There's no way to know that, no. That's why I always triple check before I submit.

Trading crits with other people can also provide a buffer of sorts, of course--at the very least, it can gain something in the way of feedback.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:50 pm

LittleRed wrote:Thanks TimE. All these crickets chirping have me convinced the entry has fallen down a crack somewhere. Last Q the response popped up as a surprise. I should never have started email watching. (nervous grin and foot shuffle) wotf012

When that chirping happens, and results are all in except the finalists, and you didn't get the call, it likely means you're a semifinalist. Or your entry got lost. Take your pick. : )
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:52 pm

ddonche wrote:I have a question regarding these things, and if it's been answered somewhere then feel free to give me the hose again. If you get an R on a technicality, is there any way to know this? This might be completely wishful thinking, but I recently became aware of the Microsoft Word meta data it includes in the files and I opened up some past entries and found that my name was in the info under "Last Updated By".

This is Rejectomancy. It's a dangerous path to go down. As always, you know my advice. Send it out. And write your next.
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:48 pm

I'm wondering what happened with the SHM. Did none of us forumites get one or are they doing away with that type of honor or is it being delayed like semi finalists?
3 x HM

TimE

Postby TimE » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:06 am

ddonche wrote:Each time I get an R, I put my brain through a ringer trying to figure out what was wrong with my story. I study the hell out of everything David puts out, and I have (so far) about 6 of the anthologies, and I read the winning entries. I try to outdo myself each time. I think the hardest part is trying to figure out what you got wrong on the story.

This is me. As I've said before, I know there were problems with my two stories that got HM's. All my R's seemed to be better stories to me. I can only put it down to originality.
5*R 3*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:27 am

SCAFontaine wrote:I'm wondering what happened with the SHM. Did none of us forumites get one or are they doing away with that type of honor or is it being delayed like semi finalists?

It's probably delayed because SHM and semi-finalist are very close. I'm betting we'll see both of those at the same time. (I've seen it staggered this way more than once. Used to happen on the regular.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:38 am

Im a noob but, for what it's worth, I've gotten a lot of help from getting an experienced writer to critique my stories. I also paid a pro to look at my stuff and that was useful as well. I had some clunky things I was doing I didn't even know about like too many "to-be" verbs and repeating words. Finally, I'm signed up for a couple of writing craft workshops with pros in the sci-fi world. The Cons are a good place to look for these at reasonable prices. For example, Jodi Lynn Nye runs one at Dragoncon.
36 R,R,R, SHM

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:00 am

There are only twelve reports in the Grinder for WOTF this quarter. That leaves about 16 more to go. Given that Grinder users are only a tiny fraction of WOTF submitters, I doubt the unreported Grinder entries account for all the finalists and semifinalists. I therefore conclude there is at least one more wave to come. This impending wave will likely include all the SHMs and SFs, but will also some HMs and maybe even some Rs.

I speak from experience on this point, if you survived the first wave, it doesn't mean you are immune from a dreaded "You did not place" email.
On the other hand, the odds are now decidedly in your favor that you did place. So, eat some brownies, drink the beverage of your choice, and twitch.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM R HM HM

aidanka

Postby aidanka » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:15 pm

Just finished copying notes from Dave's blog - 270 000 words (hope it's not illegal, I'll just read it and take notes). Keeping my head up. But I have a lot of work ahead.

Bare with my ignorance but isn't Wulf Moon last year's finalist? If yes, then I guess she couldn't take part in Q1 or no?

chuckt wrote:

Im a noob but, for what it's worth, I've gotten a lot of help from getting an experienced writer to critique my stories. I also paid a pro to look at my stuff and that was useful as well. I had some clunky things I was doing I didn't even know about like too many "to-be" verbs and repeating words. Finally, I'm signed up for a couple of writing craft workshops with pros in the sci-fi world. The Cons are a good place to look for these at reasonable prices. For example, Jodi Lynn Nye runs one at Dragoncon.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:33 pm

Commiser-grats all. Q1 is a beast of waiting.
Now those who haven't heard get to wait even harder!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:39 pm

wotf003 wotf013 wotf003

Hugs and handshakes to those who've placed and didn't so far. The waiting is over for me - Semi-Finalist.
Could knock me over with a feather. This one had such a dark ending I figured it would die quietly in the shadows.

V. interested to see the crit notes.

Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting.

AnikeKirsten

Postby AnikeKirsten » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:53 pm

Congrats, LittleRed!
- V.35: Q4 - SHM
- V.36: Q1 - HM | V.36: Q2 - R (thanks OpenOffice) | V.36: Q4 - Pending
- V.37: Q1 - Pending

First pro sale in Nature: Futures, and 3 Stories in Avescope Magazine.

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:33 am

Woop! Woop! Little Red - you go! Nice.
R = 4
HM = 1(Q4v36)
SHM = 1 (Q3v32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
wotf013

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:33 am

That's awesome LittleRed! Congrats!
3 x HM

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:25 am

Go Little Red! That's awesome!!!!
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM-HM

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:56 am

Thanks guys for celebrating with me! Looking forward to one of us being this quarter's winner. :)

TimE

Postby TimE » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:13 am

SF is a great achievement. And but for that dark ending...

Well done.
5*R 3*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

vjalrik

Postby vjalrik » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:48 am

wotf010
Van Alrik
V33 (-- HM SHM R), V34 (SF R R HM), V35 (HM R R R),
V36 (R HM F HM), V37 (Q1-Pending)
Latest sold story (10 total):
"The Church of Raw," Thuggish Itch: Scientific, Oct. 2018

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:33 pm

LittleRed wrote:Could knock me over with a feather. This one had such a dark ending I figured it would die quietly in the shadows.

Congratulations! I always wondered about the darkness thing, too -- my only SHM was also the darkest story I submitted to WotF to date. I suspect that while Dave may not go for the dark ones, if you're pulling on the right strings with it, you're still in with a shout. :-)
WotF: R:0 / HM:6 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
Currently working on entry for Q1.v37...

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:49 pm

DoctorJest wrote:
LittleRed wrote:Could knock me over with a feather. This one had such a dark ending I figured it would die quietly in the shadows.

Congratulations! I always wondered about the darkness thing, too -- my only SHM was also the darkest story I submitted to WotF to date. I suspect that while Dave may not go for the dark ones, if you're pulling on the right strings with it, you're still in with a shout. :-)

Based on current experience I have to agree with you,though I'm guessing it still may be hard to hit the top three with dark endings

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:18 pm

LittleRed wrote:Hugs and handshakes to those who've placed and didn't so far. The waiting is over for me - Semi-Finalist.
wotf024 WooHoo! Congrats!!!
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:06 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
LDWriter2 wrote:Hmm, Heard about Dave's heart attack and all that. Therefore there will be delays with the results. Okay, under the circumstances I have no problem with. But did he send out some rejections before the heart attack? I remember a rejection, maybe, for quarter one. Maybe I am remembering the previous quarter's rejection but seems like there was something about One a while back.

As far as I know, there haven't been any rejections yet for this quarter.

Finally got back here. It took a week to get back onto the internet and then my habit of not coming here kicked in. I am taking care of business, online, having to do with moving, so decided I better come here.

Anyway, thanks for the response.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:07 pm

I had asked something a while back about previous rejections but now I know the answer. A rejection-complete of course.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:25 am

Congrats LittleRed!
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM/V33Q2 - R
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks TimE, OldDarth and everyone else I missed. Still got my eyes peeled for those lurking finalists and winners.
Bet you're hiding in here somewhere.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”