Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Corbin Maxwell

Re: Discussion: Q3 Volume 36

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Tue May 21, 2019 10:38 am

DoctorJest wrote:I'm rewriting mine, again, after realising that I could make a single key change and greatly improve the story's weight. Fourth time of writing now, and I get to keep about fifteen percent of what I wrote previously.

This doesn't even count the the three times I tried to write this story before. Honestly, it's been nothing but trouble. I'll almost be glad to see the back of it, but at the same time, I'm very hopeful that it'll end up as a good one when it's actually finished.

Could be you need to write something new. Possibly your subconscious is telling you the story is no good and that's why you're having so many problems.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
HM x 10

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Tue May 21, 2019 1:10 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:Could be you need to write something new. Possibly your subconscious is telling you the story is no good and that's why you're having so many problems.

No, not in this case--even the last draft is pretty good, actually, and I was just getting into my stride editing it for submission. This was more to do with a question I was asked, and a comment someone made- neither had anything directly to do with the story, but they opened up a whole new idea of how it could go, and I knew without needing to think much that it would be considerably better if I took the time to pursue it.

Mildly frustrating, but good too.
WotF: R:0 / HM:6 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
Currently working on entry for Q1.v37...

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Tue May 21, 2019 3:41 pm

DoctorJest wrote:
Corbin Maxwell wrote:Could be you need to write something new. Possibly your subconscious is telling you the story is no good and that's why you're having so many problems.

No, not in this case--even the last draft is pretty good, actually, and I was just getting into my stride editing it for submission. This was more to do with a question I was asked, and a comment someone made- neither had anything directly to do with the story, but they opened up a whole new idea of how it could go, and I knew without needing to think much that it would be considerably better if I took the time to pursue it.

Mildly frustrating, but good too.

My last one I did a lot of rewriting. Cut like 7k. Took me over a year to write it. 18 months for an R.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
HM x 10

glenn84

Postby glenn84 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:19 pm

I've got a fat turkey roasting in the oven. Bad breaks won't get in the way of my writing. No sir.

I'm willing to swap the first 2k words with anyone. Just send me a PM if interested.
HM x 7
SHM x 1
R - unknown

EDF

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue May 21, 2019 4:26 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:My last one I did a lot of rewriting. Cut like 7k. Took me over a year to write it. 18 months for an R.

Believe me, I've been there. I also almost completely rewrote my finalist, so... *shrugs*

Keep writing. That's the key.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Tue May 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:My last one I did a lot of rewriting. Cut like 7k. Took me over a year to write it. 18 months for an R.

I could see that happening here, to be honest, as there's definitely a risk of a story losing its sparkle if it's on the table for too long, but this is one of those hills I just have to climb now, whether for this contest or just to reach the summit for its own sake. Putting it in front of WotF gives me focus and a deadline, which helps me stay committed to completing it when it gets difficult.
WotF: R:0 / HM:6 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
Currently working on entry for Q1.v37...

TimE

Postby TimE » Sun May 26, 2019 10:43 am

This link was posted on Scribophile earlier. Quite old but still interesting. Average point at which the slushpile reader has decided to reject - Page 3. Provides a reasonable amount of explanation.
https://www.shimmerzine.com/2011/03/16/ ... ld-i-care/
5*R 3*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun May 26, 2019 8:16 pm

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing. We have to make the reader care *right now* about our story. More than they care about their kids fighting in the playroom or the beep of the microwave. Hooks, all the way down.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: R, HM, R
Vol35: HM, R, R, HM
Vol36: R, HM, HM, SHM

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

Helge Mahrt

Postby Helge Mahrt » Mon May 27, 2019 12:56 am

TimE wrote:This link was posted on Scribophile earlier. Quite old but still interesting. Average point at which the slushpile reader has decided to reject - Page 3. Provides a reasonable amount of explanation.

Awesome article. After reading this, I took one of my Writers of the Future volumes and read only the first 3 paragraphs of every story. Quite interesting and insightful wotf001
R, HM, R
http://www.helgemahrt.com
Sky High, my YA/SciFi novel

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon May 27, 2019 5:20 am

Rough prose draft finished. Now I just need to make it not suck. wotf019
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

TimE

Postby TimE » Mon May 27, 2019 5:40 am

Story in progress set aside, new story started. 1000 words done. I've got some catching up to do. Plenty of time. And so far, this one might be working.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 am

TimE wrote:This link was posted on Scribophile earlier. Quite old but still interesting. Average point at which the slushpile reader has decided to reject - Page 3. Provides a reasonable amount of explanation.

Yes, thanks. That was a good article. (Wulf has said largely the same but this reinforces the lessons from a somewhat different angle).
36 R,R,R, SHM

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Mon May 27, 2019 9:09 am

I had a rough outline for Q3 and fleshed it out last night, almost like the snowflake method. I need to finish editing another chapter of my novel today to stay on schedule with that. Then hopefully the next 2 days will get me the first draft of my Q3. With this detailed of an outline, I hope the first draft will be cleaner than usually.

That would put me WAY ahead of my usual last minute attempt at WotF. I might even get it in before 11:59pm June 30th. wotf001
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Mon May 27, 2019 10:59 pm

Good luck on fleshing it out. You've still got a little more than a month.
I'm trying to tighten the beginning of mine. It's too long, but I'm having difficulty choosing what parts to trim off in order to not lose the story's essence and light humor.
3 x HM

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Tue May 28, 2019 5:30 am

SCAFontaine wrote:Good luck on fleshing it out. You've still got a little more than a month.
I'm trying to tighten the beginning of mine. It's too long, but I'm having difficulty choosing what parts to trim off in order to not lose the story's essence and light humor.

Can some of the necessary information be sprinkled through out the rest of the story to allow the beginning to be sleeker? Just a thought. Good Luck!
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

TimE

Postby TimE » Tue May 28, 2019 5:39 am

I reached a full stop (not literally) yesterday, when I thought this sentence is really suited to end in a paraprosdokian. I congratulated myself on the idea, love using such an odd word and after thinking about it for hours realise I'm not even sure how to pronounce it.

SCAFontaine

Postby SCAFontaine » Tue May 28, 2019 12:02 pm

JVAshley wrote:Can some of the necessary information be sprinkled through out the rest of the story to allow the beginning to be sleeker? Just a thought. Good Luck!

That's just it. The stuff I'm debating isn't necessary to the development of the plot but it is to the character and setting and since the setting changes halfway, any set-up /description needs to be given in the first half. With all the recent forum exchanges about beginnings, I'm looking twice as hard into mine.
Just things to think about for Q3 while the twitching begins for Q2.
3 x HM

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Tue May 28, 2019 1:37 pm

SCAFontaine wrote:That's just it. The stuff I'm debating isn't necessary to the development of the plot but it is to the character and setting and since the setting changes halfway, any set-up /description needs to be given in the first half. With all the recent forum exchanges about beginnings, I'm looking twice as hard into mine.
Just things to think about for Q3 while the twitching begins for Q2.

Beginnings are so important and so hard!
Good Luck!
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

TimE

Postby TimE » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:26 am

I guess the Good Omens series is going to bring a plague of stories involving angels and demons.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:16 am

TimE wrote:I guess the Good Omens series is going to bring a plague of stories involving angels and demons.

Possibly. wotf019 The book is amazing, and the first two episodes (which are all I've had time to watch thus far) are appropriately delightful.

TimE

Postby TimE » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:23 am

Searched for it on Netflix - found out it was on Prime. Damn.
I like everything Gaiman writes. Pratchett - not so much. Sheen and Tennant tend to add something to a part.

czing

Postby czing » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:08 am

TimE wrote:Searched for it on Netflix - found out it was on Prime. Damn.
I like everything Gaiman writes. Pratchett - not so much. Sheen and Tennant tend to add something to a part.

We are opposites. Love Pratchett but Gaiman is very hit or miss for me. But Good Omens is delightful so I guess together is good.
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36
R - Q4 v 36

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:24 am

It is, in fact, on Prime. My husband has a Prime account, so we got lucky there. They do have a 30 day free trial, and Prime Video might come with that? (Not sure.)

czing wrote:

We are opposites. Love Pratchett but Gaiman is very hit or miss for me. But Good Omens is delightful so I guess together is good.

I love both, albeit for different reasons. Good Omens is right in my wheelhouse. wotf019

MiloMinderbinder

Postby MiloMinderbinder » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:08 am

OK, I submitted for Q3. I'm going hiking in the Sierra Nevadas next week, and figure there's no way I could finish a different entry by June 30th

1500 words in for Q4.
The trend: R, R, HM, SF, HM, HM, HM, HM
The Bicycle Thief - 2019 Derringer Award Winner

Dragonchef

Postby Dragonchef » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:10 am

Q3 in for me
R = 4
HM = 1(Q4v36)
SHM = 1 (Q3v32)
WINs = Zip
F = Zero
SF = Zilcho
wotf013

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:05 am

MiloMinderbinder wrote:1500 words in for Q4.

Congrats on subbing but IMHO you shouldn't post your word count.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

MiloMinderbinder

Postby MiloMinderbinder » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:23 pm

storysinger wrote:
MiloMinderbinder wrote:1500 words in for Q4.

Congrats on subbing but IMHO you shouldn't post your word count.

That's how many words I've gotten so far for Q4, not how long my Q3 story is.

But I appreciate the advice.
The trend: R, R, HM, SF, HM, HM, HM, HM
The Bicycle Thief - 2019 Derringer Award Winner

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Well, I guess it is time to do the final edit or two on my Q3 and join Milo in submitting. My other possibility isn't quite cooked.
36 R,R,R, SHM

TimE

Postby TimE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:05 am

Still writing 1st draft. Jeez, I make 3 legged tortoise look fast.

thegirlintheglasses

Postby thegirlintheglasses » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:31 am

TimE wrote:Still writing 1st draft. Jeez, I make 3 legged tortoise look fast.

I'm with you. Let's get cookin' wotf024
Brittany Rainsdon
R-SHM-HM-R-HM-R-F-F-HM-HM-HM

John Goodwin asked me to type up a blog post about writing my wotf entry around giving birth. Here it is!
https://www.writersofthefuture.com/birt ... -rainsdon/

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”