Success!

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
chuckt

Re: Success!

Postby chuckt » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:56 am

First pro sale! Congrats!
36 R,R,R, SHM

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:37 pm

I made a collection of nearly all of my published stories, and for the first time, I'm trying out a paperback version too! I learned a lot of things about how books are put together along the way--I did all of the cover/interior design/layout, and there were some frustrating moments while I tried to figure out why it wouldn't upload to Amazon (because of course Amazon wouldn't just tell me what was wrong). It felt like a different sort of writerly success to be able to hold something that I made every part of--from the words on the page to the design of the book. Here's the link to my announcement post if you want to check it out--many of these stories started their lives as entries to this contest before they found homes elsewhere wotf008

Beth Powers

Collected Stories: Sorcery & Widgets

14 x HM

Andy Dibble

Postby Andy Dibble » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:32 pm

Congrats, Beth! Your going through the process motivates me to follow you. Self-publishing a book is definitely it's own form of achievement. And when it's a collection of shorts it gives you leeway to stick in some that weren't picked up by a market but you're proud of or that fit with a theme.
36.1 First Place

Sci Phi Journal (https://www.sciphijournal.org/index.php/2019/09/29/the-greatest-good-to-god/)

Imagine someone looking over your life and feeling a little sad that you never read that book that would have meant so much to you.

MiloMinderbinder

Postby MiloMinderbinder » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:13 am

We're having a book launch party for Wildside Press' Crime Travel anthology.

Barnes & Noble, 12193 Fair Lakes Promenade Dr, Fairfax, VA 22033
Sunday, December 8, 1-3pm

Six of the contributors, including me, are going to be at the event.

For lovers of crime fiction and lovers of time travel, this book offers something special–fifteen short stories that combine the two. Sometimes characters travel in time to commit crime, sometimes to stop it, sometimes they aim to solve a crime, or sometimes they just want to watch it happen. In Crime Travel, you have 15 stories that will excite you and sometimes even touch your heart from authors who have won or been nominated for every mystery short story award out there: the Edgar, Agatha, Anthony, Barry, Derringer, Macavity, Shamus, Silver Falchion, and the Thriller. Edited by Agatha, Macavity and Silver Falchion-award winning author Barb Goffman, Crime Travel will be published on December 8th, which is Pretend to be a Time Traveler Day. All royalties will be donated to 826DC, a Washington, DC, nonprofit designed to help children and teens improve their creative and expository writing skills, as well as help teachers inspire children to write.

http://wildsidepress.com/crime-travel-edited-by-barb-goffman-preorder-ebook/
The trend: R, R, HM, SF, HM, HM, HM, HM
The Bicycle Thief - 2019 Derringer Award Winner

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:36 am

I like your cover, Beth! Great job and congrats on figuring out how to compose an anthology end to end.

Milo, best of success on your signing and launch! Have fun, it's a great feeling meeting readers and signing a book with your story in it.

Fortune favor the brave,

~Moon~
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:51 am

Beth Powers wrote:I made a collection of nearly all of my published stories, and for the first time, I'm trying out a paperback version too! I learned a lot of things about how books are put together along the way--I did all of the cover/interior design/layout, and there were some frustrating moments while I tried to figure out why it wouldn't upload to Amazon (because of course Amazon wouldn't just tell me what was wrong). It felt like a different sort of writerly success to be able to hold something that I made every part of--from the words on the page to the design of the book. Here's the link to my announcement post if you want to check it out--many of these stories started their lives as entries to this contest before they found homes elsewhere wotf008

Pretty frickin awesome Beth. How cool. I'd like to learn to do this if I get something worthwhile some day. I met a couple of folks who self-publish at the last workshop I went to. They actually make money.
36 R,R,R, SHM

yoyo123

Postby yoyo123 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:36 am

I hesitate to put this in the success thread, but for me, it is. I submitted my first piece of fiction (anywhere, ever) this season. It was a flash piece I knew would be an instant reject, but I couldn’t let it go. Sent it to Strange Horizons and finally got my 67 day first reader form rejection. There was no doubt in my mind that this would be the outcome, but the fear of submission is now past and I can move on. So...hurray! :)

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:40 am

yoyo123 wrote:I hesitate to put this in the success thread, but for me, it is. I submitted my first piece of fiction (anywhere, ever) this season. It was a flash piece I knew would be an instant reject, but I couldn’t let it go. Sent it to Strange Horizons and finally got my 67 day first reader form rejection. There was no doubt in my mind that this would be the outcome, but the fear of submission is now past and I can move on. So...hurray! :)

Hey, there's all kinds of different markers for success. Congratulations on making your first submission! (I still remember mine--I sent what was, in retrospect, a very bad story to Intergalactic Medicine Show about fifteen years ago. It got a rejection, of course.) Keep writing and submitting! Don't do what I did and wait a decade to make your second sub. wotf019
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

czing

Postby czing » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Nice job on those anthologies folks!

Also I agree with disgruntledpeony lots of ways to define success and yoyo I think doing your first submission is well worth calling a success!
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36
R - Q4 v 36

Andy Dibble

Postby Andy Dibble » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Definitely agree about different ways to measure success. Here's another: finishing stories you really want to write, even if you don't think they are particularly publishable. There was a story about a somewhat esoteric theological problem I really wanted to write, and I wrote it. Just got a personal reject from Mysterion in their last round, which is further than I expected to get. I'm not optimistic about my chances elsewhere, but I'm still glad to have written in. Remember that old line from Emerson, "The reward of a job well done is to have done it."
36.1 First Place

Sci Phi Journal (https://www.sciphijournal.org/index.php/2019/09/29/the-greatest-good-to-god/)

Imagine someone looking over your life and feeling a little sad that you never read that book that would have meant so much to you.

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:34 am

Not the usual success story, but, uh, I finished writing another novel today. Perfect timing since I didn't really want to write a bunch over the holiday. On to editing next week!

Also, one of my HMs was accepted for an anthology. Can't talk too much about that one yet, though, but it's super exciting. wotf007
WotF Results:
  • R:5
  • HM:7
  • sHM:0
  • SF:1
  • F:0
  • Last: HM, Q4 v36

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:48 am

michaeljwyantjr wrote:Not the usual success story, but, uh, I finished writing another novel today. Perfect timing since I didn't really want to write a bunch over the holiday. On to editing next week!

Also, one of my HMs was accepted for an anthology. Can't talk too much about that one yet, though, but it's super exciting. wotf007

Congratulations on both! It's a great feeling to finish a novel! And a sale! Shiny! wotf010

I've finished my novel as well. It ended up at 77k words and is ready for editing after Thanksgiving. Great feeling!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

czing

Postby czing » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:14 pm

Nice job on the novel and the story sale!
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36
R - Q4 v 36

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:09 pm

RSchibler wrote:Congratulations on both! It's a great feeling to finish a novel! And a sale! Shiny! wotf010

I've finished my novel as well. It ended up at 77k words and is ready for editing after Thanksgiving. Great feeling!

NaNo rebels for the win!

WotF Results:

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:00 am

My second sale to Daily Science Fiction is now online!

https://dailysciencefiction.com/science ... alis_SciFi
R, R, R, HM

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:02 am

WillShadbolt wrote:My second sale to Daily Science Fiction is now online!

Great story, Will!

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:08 am

Nice! I enjoyed it. Well-written. wotf007 wotf010
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:31 am

I get DSF regularly and remember that story. I gave it a favorable star-count. Actually it's a rocket ship but you know I mean.
Congrats on the sale. wotf010
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:04 am

Good work on your DSF story, Will! Has that punchy ending that's so important!

Congratulations and cheers!

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks for the compliments (and the good rating wotf007 )! In some ways it's even more exciting than my first story getting published at DSF, like that first one wasn't a fluke or anything
R, R, R, HM

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:07 pm

Great story! Scary ending. Not sure I can see caterpillars the same way anymore.
Q4 36 R
Q1 37 pending

"Never give up. Never Surrender." - Galaxy Quest

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:23 am

Another of my serial-HMs for WoTF has sold!

Project Lifeline will be in The Colored Lens' Winter 2020 issue (which I think is *this* winter, not next winter). It's a love story hidden in a somewhat deep dive sci-fi and I'm so happy it's found a home. wotf007
WotF Results:

czing

Postby czing » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Congratulations on the publication michael!
HM - Q1,Q3 v 36
R - Q4 v 36

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:03 am

Congrats Michael! Let us know when it’s published
R, R, R, HM

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 am

Congrats Michael, I look forward to reading it.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

MiloMinderbinder

Postby MiloMinderbinder » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Congratulations, Michael!
The trend: R, R, HM, SF, HM, HM, HM, HM
The Bicycle Thief - 2019 Derringer Award Winner

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:04 am

Yes. That was a good one! Congrats.
36 R,R,R, SHM

michaeljwyantjr

Postby michaeljwyantjr » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Thanks everyone! I'll post a link when it's up and available!
WotF Results:

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:33 am

Anyone else start to twitch when you see, on submission grinder, the editor has rejected most everything older than your submission and has started rejecting ones submitted after yours? I know I shouldn't read anything into that but I imagine they have read my story and it is in the "maybe" pile.
36 R,R,R, SHM

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:54 am

I find the many available metrics on the grinder both wonderful and terrible, yes. Twitch.

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”