Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
disgruntledpeony

Re: Discussion: Q4 Volume 36

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:31 am

Eagerink wrote:Well, I haven't heard anything... maybe because I sent my story in, on the last day, via snail mail... :P Perhaps it has been entered in the next quarter, though it was postmarked on the thirtieth.

Responses to snail mail entries tend to take longer regardless of result, if I recall correctly.

Thank you for the congratulations, everyone! I'm super glad they let us announce this quarter, because I could keep quiet if I had to but I'd be dying right now.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F

TimE

Postby TimE » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:21 am

Well done, DP.
5*R 3*HM - I thought I was getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it scifi!)

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:36 am

chuckt wrote:
Silver HMs
Kate (KD Julicher)
Tony (AV Dutson)
Michael Kingswood
Chuck T
Becky (RSchibler)
Tracy (Writergirl0426)
Henckel
AV Dutson
Corbin Maxwell

Hey SHMers. Here is what Dave had to say at this year's workshop about an SHM: "You are so close. Probably, there is one thing wrong that needs to be fixed. I don't want to give you feedback because that would make you ineligible to resubmit." (Not his exact words but pretty close).
36 R,R,R, SHM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:44 am

Just got the second call from Joni. Apparently, I came in 4th place. Just shy.

Ahh well.

Congratulations on the win, SwiftPotato! I'm absolutely thrilled for you. wotf007 wotf010
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:55 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:Just got the second call from Joni. Apparently, I came in 4th place. Just shy.

Ahh well.

Congratulations on the win, SwiftPotato! I'm absolutely thrilled for you. wotf007 wotf010

You are SO close, disgruntledpeony! Seriously, even though it wasn't the win, congratulations. You're hitting the mark. Keep going! I'm rooting for you for this quarter!

Thanks for the congrats. It still really hasn't sunken in!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:07 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:Just got the second call from Joni. Apparently, I came in 4th place. Just shy.

Ahh well.

Awww, we were cheering for you, Liz. Still are. Finalist is a GREAT honor. In your case, it was FOURTH in the WORLD. Out of thousands. And there's still the chance at Published Finalist. As Kate will tell you, it does happen.

Congratulations again on your awesome showing. You know how to hit the bullseye!

All the beast,

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:38 pm

Ahh well.

Congrats Swift Potato!!! wotf010

Disgruntledpeopny, I will now put all available mojo on you being a published finalist so that you can be the forward scout. You can then report back, sharing the inside scoop for when we both place in Volume 37 and go to the Gala together!
This is my new fantasy plan. wotf007
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:39 pm

JVAshley wrote:Disgruntledpeopny, I will now put all available mojo on you being a published finalist so that you can be the forward scout. You can then report back, sharing the inside scoop for when we both place in Volume 37 and go to the Gala together!
This is my new fantasy plan. wotf007

Joni didn't ask to hold it for published finalist, so I've sent it off to F&SF. Definitely going to make sure this baby makes the rounds.

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:47 pm

Ahh well.

Okay--just found this. Rats!
36 R,R,R, SHM

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Ahh well.

You did amazing! We are so proud of you!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM

ALWAYS available for critiques. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:22 pm

What the heck!?!?! I've been off the forum for a few days....

My sincere congratulations to disgruntledpeony for maing it to 4th place. That is super amazing. Your kung fu is strong.

And SwiftPotato.... Did you say that you won?!?>!?! WOW!!!!!!!! congratulations!

You are both amazing and in inspiration to us all.

(my turn next year)
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – ?

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:04 am

Thanks, Henckel!!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Galen

Postby Galen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:23 am

Wow! Super congrats to SwiftPotato and DisgruntledPeony. Just in awe guys, just in awe. Such an achievement.

(Off to change my user name to a vegetable or a flower, clearly plant-names with a preceding descriptor (no space) is how it gets done around here. Wait! What if next quarter is for minerals...)
SHM x3
HM x4
R - lots!

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:00 am

Galen wrote:Wow! Super congrats to SwiftPotato and DisgruntledPeony. Just in awe guys, just in awe. Such an achievement.

(Off to change my user name to a vegetable or a flower, clearly plant-names with a preceding descriptor (no space) is how it gets done around here. Wait! What if next quarter is for minerals...)

This is genius Galen! We must discern if minerals are next and get on it ASAP!
1x SF
3x HM
2x R

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:29 am

Galen wrote:Wow! Super congrats to SwiftPotato and DisgruntledPeony. Just in awe guys, just in awe. Such an achievement.

Haha! I'm not sure about disgruntledpeony, but you can blame a random username generator for mine. I can come up with story ideas like nobody's business, but username ideas? Perish the thought. As for the minerals...any StarCraft players around here?
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Wow congratulations SwiftPotato! And very good job DisgruntledPeony! Keep it up. I still haven't heard anything, will query in a few days.
wotf045

R~1
HM~3

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:14 pm

Eagerink wrote:Wow congratulations SwiftPotato! And very good job DisgruntledPeony! Keep it up. I still haven't heard anything, will query in a few days.

Thank you! I hope you get your answer soon - keep us posted!!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:30 pm

SwiftPotato wrote:Haha! I'm not sure about disgruntledpeony, but you can blame a random username generator for mine. I can come up with story ideas like nobody's business, but username ideas? Perish the thought. As for the minerals...any StarCraft players around here?

I'm all 'bout Dune II, which ages me somewhat I should think. Gotta get me some spice...

That said, perhaps I should change my username to SidewindingBauxite.
WotF: R:0 / HM:6 / sHM:2 / SF:0 / F:0
Currently working on entry for Q1.v37...

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:09 pm

Congratulations to all who got in and almost got in. And Congrats to the SFs, SHMs and Hms.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Andy Dibble

Postby Andy Dibble » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:04 am

Ahh well.

Sorry, you didn't quite make it all the way. I have to think it was a GREAT story. A few months ago I read "Verum" by Storm Humbert in Interzone, and I loved it so much I went to his website and told him. His website said that he had been a finalist for WotF, and I thought, "Why didn't they give him the win?" So all you need to do is find the right market for your excellent story!
36.1 First Place

Sci Phi Journal (https://www.sciphijournal.org/index.php/2019/09/29/the-greatest-good-to-god/)

Imagine someone looking over your life and feeling a little sad that you never read that book that would have meant so much to you.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:59 am

Eagerink wrote:Wow congratulations SwiftPotato! And very good job DisgruntledPeony! Keep it up. I still haven't heard anything, will query in a few days.

Hang on just a bit, Eagerink. It's very possible you were a Semifinalist--we haven't heard any of them announce yet, and we usually have some here.

Hoping for good news for you. After how this quarter is turning out, for all we know they're about to announce you as the Golden Pen winner. wotf001

All the beast!

~Moon~
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Critters Readers Award: #1, "War Dog," Best SF&F Short Story of 2018
NEW! "Weep No More..." DEEP MAGIC Fall 2019 http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:39 am

SwiftPotato wrote:

Haha! I'm not sure about disgruntledpeony, but you can blame a random username generator for mine. I can come up with story ideas like nobody's business, but username ideas? Perish the thought. As for the minerals...any StarCraft players around here?

Super congrats FTW! Hollywood bound. wotf009
Winning in the 4th quarter kinds means you're in the rear with the gear. wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:41 am

Dustin Adams wrote:
SwiftPotato wrote:

Super congrats FTW! Hollywood bound. wotf009
Winning in the 4th quarter kinds means you're in the rear with the gear. wotf011

Thank you!! Am I gonna sound dumb if I ask what that means? Not gonna lie, I don't play StarCraft myself, my husband does...I'm more of a God of War girl. Haha.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:00 pm

Aah. It's just a thing the SVCs say. Tried to tie it in to the 4q win somehow. That's the best I could do.
Probably why I'm still trying to win.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm

Lol. You're good, man, I just don't have my brain turned on today.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:44 pm

For anyone still wondering, I queried and turns out my story got an HM! Now on to the next one....
wotf045

R~1
HM~3

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Congrats on the HM Eagerink. wotf010 Hard work does pay off.
HM-V32/Q3
HM-V36/Q4
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Eagerink wrote:For anyone still wondering, I queried and turns out my story got an HM! Now on to the next one....

Nicely done!!! Keep on truckin!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”