NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Specifics about craft, talent, technique, etc.
User avatar
Wulf Moon
Posts: 1950
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Announcing the new L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future Online Workshop, proclaimed by SciFi Magazine "an extension of L. Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future (WOTF) Contest, the world's preeminent competition for up-and-coming genre authors." It is a free workshop featuring three Writers of the Future Workshop judges: Orson Scott Card, David Farland, and Tim Powers.

Access it via the WritersoftheFuture.com homepage. Click on FREE ONLINE WORKSHOP.

Articles, exercises, and video instruction by the same instructors we had at the Hollywood week long workshop! Learn from the best, for FREE! And you get a nifty course completion certificate at the end to post on your wall! What are you waiting for? Take the course and up your writing game!

Do come back when you're finished and post comments on what you enjoyed, and what point you think will help you most. There's much here to discuss!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

User avatar
RSchibler
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby RSchibler » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:08 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:Announcing the new L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future Online Workshop, proclaimed by SciFi Magazine "an extension of L. Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future (WOTF) Contest, the world's preeminent competition for up-and-coming genre authors." It is a free workshop featuring three Writers of the Future Workshop judges: Orson Scott Card, David Farland, and Tim Powers.

Access it via the WritersoftheFuture.com homepage. Click on FREE ONLINE WORKSHOP.

Articles, exercises, and video instruction by the same instructors we had at the Hollywood week long workshop! Learn from the best, for FREE! And you get a nifty course completion certificate at the end to post on your wall! What are you waiting for? Take the course and up your writing game!

Do come back when you're finished and post comments on what you enjoyed, and what point you think will help you most. There's much here to discuss!

All the beast!

Wulf Moon


I did the entire course start to finish as a beta tester. Took me almost 9 hours but I wrote a short story (3,500 words) in the process. It’s definitely a great course with insightful lectures and essays and some thoughts on business as well. It’s really good. Highly recommend.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, SHM, SHM
V38:

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Upon A Once Time, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1342
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:33 pm

I plan on taking this soon, although it's definitely going to take me longer than Becky. wotf019
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

User avatar
Wulf Moon
Posts: 1950
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:42 pm

It took me about six hours, mentally doing the exercises, and skipping writing a story. I had to push it because they wanted me through quick so they could do a Zoom interview for promo. I took lots of notes. If you're trying to win this contest, this online program will definitely help. And you've got the same great teachers we had for the Volume 35 workshop! You couldn't ask for better instructors than Orson Scott Card, Tim Powers, and David Farland. They are masters.

And did I mention it's FREE?

Enjoy another wonderful gift from this most generous contest!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

User avatar
oishisushi911
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 2:56 am
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby oishisushi911 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:17 pm

It was certainly a motivating workshop. I spent over ten hours on it as I took notes on every single section (about 26 pages of notes with some writing exercises included), and I wrote two stories for it. My writing exercises included writing lists of personal prompts, specific story ideas, and structures, noting down some quick research for story content, writing 2 pages of description, dialogue, and narration, writing outlines for the story (in my case, the stories), writing out a beginning, a middle, and an ending, and writing some practice suspense.

It's a nice overview of what the judges in this contest are looking for, and also includes a look at the business and motivation and goal of writing as an ART from Hubbard. The videos were high quality and there were some decent connections made between essays and videos. The practicals are fairly basic and will only serve you if you really put in the effort. That is to say, if you've taken notes on the essays and the video lectures, and are motivated to put in the time and focus, then the practicals, which are really just a sentence stating write this part of a story, will give you some good practice, and may even give you a decent story (or two!) to work with. I'll be honest, I wanted more, it ended too soon, but it had smooth flow to its structure overall and was certainly a beneficial experience that I'm using to guide a few stories for this quarter.
R.J.K. Lee
WotF 2015-2017: 4 HMs, 5 Rs
WotF 2019-2020: 6 Rs, 2 HMs
2020 Goal: 104 rejections, 28 pending

User avatar
nreavis
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:28 pm

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby nreavis » Mon May 04, 2020 9:13 pm

I had a blast going through this workshop. I have one story that's currently going around my writing group for peer review before I submit for Q3, and I used a lot of what the judges mentioned to help plot the foundation for another story I'll be submitting in June for a different contest.

Lots of good material was presented, and I highly recommend.
HM: 3
R: 1
Author Page: http://www.reynichols.com

User avatar
Wulf Moon
Posts: 1950
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri May 08, 2020 4:11 pm

nreavis wrote:I had a blast going through this workshop. I have one story that's currently going around my writing group for peer review before I submit for Q3, and I used a lot of what the judges mentioned to help plot the foundation for another story I'll be submitting in June for a different contest.

Lots of good material was presented, and I highly recommend.


Glad you enjoyed it, nreavis!

Author Services had me run through it first as their guinea pig. Oink! Here's the video interview on my impressions!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=568129577153705
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1342
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri May 08, 2020 8:51 pm

I'm about halfway through it so far. I'm making time as I can, so I usually get through one or two practicals a day. Got through three today, but it's the first time I haven't been busy with other things or needed a nap during one of the babies' naptimes. Just finished the narrative paragraph.

Overall, I've had a decent time following along--although the wording for the description-related practical exercise initially resulted in me basically writing a more detailed/descriptive outline of my story rather than, y'know, two pages of description for said story. Not sure how much of that the wording and how much was just my perpetually over-tired brain, though. wotf019

The story I'm writing is a lot more... personal than most stories I write, I guess? I usually write with more of an escapist bent, but with this particular story I guess I'm more seeking to gain some catharsis on old grief and fears. It, uhh, it hurts. Writing the outline made me cry.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

User avatar
crlisle
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:33 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby crlisle » Fri May 15, 2020 7:30 pm

"...technique is not a habit, but a constant set of rules to be frequently refreshed in your mind." from the essay by L. Ron Hubbard in the lessons about writing suspense.

i was so relieved when I read this! I thought I was stupid because I have to keep post-it notes on my computer: hook, senses, desire.
And I have to keep referring to Wulf Moon's list of secrets, over and over and over and over again.
Now I understand that this is normal. Phew! Can't wait for his secrets book. I will have to put the pages in a ring binder because no book would be able to stand up to the abuse I'm going to put it through.

Also, I got the impression, from this essay, that even after he was famous, Mr. Hubbard still received rejection notices. Did I understand this correctly? So there is no finish line. We keep learning what we forgot.
Volume 37: R, HM, HM, Silver HM
Volume 38:
Published in Sci Fi Lampoon: "My Ten Cents"
To be published in LTUE 2022 anthology: "The Last Dance"

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1342
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat May 16, 2020 5:54 am

I finished the rough draft of the story I wrote using workshop instructions yesterday. It needs a lot of work, but I know what it'll take to fix it. Going to finish the course today.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

User avatar
Wulf Moon
Posts: 1950
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat May 16, 2020 5:13 pm

crlisle wrote:"...technique is not a habit, but a constant set of rules to be frequently refreshed in your mind." from the essay by L. Ron Hubbard in the lessons about writing suspense.

i was so relieved when I read this! I thought I was stupid because I have to keep post-it notes on my computer: hook, senses, desire.
And I have to keep referring to Wulf Moon's list of secrets, over and over and over and over again.
Now I understand that this is normal. Phew! Can't wait for his secrets book. I will have to put the pages in a ring binder because no book would be able to stand up to the abuse I'm going to put it through.

Also, I got the impression, from this essay, that even after he was famous, Mr. Hubbard still received rejection notices. Did I understand this correctly? So there is no finish line. We keep learning what we forgot.


There is no finish line when you're playing the Infinite Game. :)

Glad you are looking forward to the Super Secrets book! And all those hidden secrets that AREN'T on the topic! :)

Don't worry. The more you work with the skills, the more they start to stick!

Stay with it! There is a good reward for your hard work!

Cheers!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

User avatar
Wulf Moon
Posts: 1950
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat May 16, 2020 5:14 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I finished the rough draft of the story I wrote using workshop instructions yesterday. It needs a lot of work, but I know what it'll take to fix it. Going to finish the course today.


Cool, Liz! Wouldn't THAT be a story if your Online Workshop story was your winner! I think they'd ask you to write a blog about it for sure!

Cheers!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 1342
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon May 18, 2020 7:47 am

Wulf Moon wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:I finished the rough draft of the story I wrote using workshop instructions yesterday. It needs a lot of work, but I know what it'll take to fix it. Going to finish the course today.


Cool, Liz! Wouldn't THAT be a story if your Online Workshop story was your winner! I think they'd ask you to write a blog about it for sure!

Cheers!

It would definitely be interesting, but I'm not sure this story is the kind of thing Dave would want for the WotF target market... wotf019 I'll have a few different options come Q4, and this story should definitely be finished by then, so we'll see how things go.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, SHM, SF, ?

https://ticknortales.com/

User avatar
Wulf Moon
Posts: 1950
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue May 19, 2020 12:51 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:I finished the rough draft of the story I wrote using workshop instructions yesterday. It needs a lot of work, but I know what it'll take to fix it. Going to finish the course today.


Cool, Liz! Wouldn't THAT be a story if your Online Workshop story was your winner! I think they'd ask you to write a blog about it for sure!

Cheers!

It would definitely be interesting, but I'm not sure this story is the kind of thing Dave would want for the WotF target market... wotf019 I'll have a few different options come Q4, and this story should definitely be finished by then, so we'll see how things go.


May the Force be with you, Liz!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

LDWriter2
Posts: 3527
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: NEW! The Writers of the Future ONLINE WORKSHOP!

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:25 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I finished the rough draft of the story I wrote using workshop instructions yesterday. It needs a lot of work, but I know what it'll take to fix it. Going to finish the course today.



Very good and good success with it, once it is fixed. It will be at least a good story
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html


Return to “Writing: Craft, Talent, Technique”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: empressed and 1 guest