NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
monica

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby monica » Fri May 22, 2020 8:03 pm

Hi all. Just exploring this forum for now, but hope to make full use of it. I primarily write epic fantasy, but I do write some short stories as well. I plan to enter the contest at some point but i need to get a feel for the sort of story that might work. I hope to get lots of insights from the folks here. :) thanks in advance for all your advice and help :D
If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got. wotf017

Shockhawk

Postby Shockhawk » Sat May 23, 2020 4:22 am

Welcome Monica!

I’m new here as well but I do know the best way to determine what type of story might work is by reading many of the past winners. If you go to the main writers of the future website you can sign up and receive a free electronic copy of one of the yearly volumes... this will have quite a few winning stories to give you a good gauge.

If your anything like me you’ll get sucked in and order the newest volume and starter pack of 7 volumes (each containing 12 winning stories) and have a great idea of the type of stories in no time. Either way I recommend starting with the free electronic volume and going from there!!

Anyways welcome and good luck with your writing!!

Shockhawk
Vol 37 - X, R, R, P

monica

Postby monica » Sat May 23, 2020 9:22 am

Thanks Shockhawk. Great idea :)
If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got. wotf017

crlisle

Postby crlisle » Sat May 23, 2020 2:33 pm

Cool logo Shockhawk.
Q1 37 R
Q2 37 HM
Q3 37 HM
Q4 37 submitted
Published in Sci Fi Lampoon: "My Ten Cents"
To be published in LTUE 2022 anthology: "The Last Dance"

Shockhawk

Postby Shockhawk » Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 pm

Thanks crlilse!! It only required like 3 plus hours to find one hawk icon picture to meet the qualifications to be my avatar.
Vol 37 - X, R, R, P

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Sun May 24, 2020 5:12 am

Welcome Monica and Shockhawk!
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, R, ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue May 26, 2020 4:32 pm

Welcome aboard, Monica!

You've come to the right place to figure out how to write a story that can win this contest. Winners come from here every year. We grow 'em like apples. wotf001

Do take the Writers of the Future Online Writing Workshop. By the end of the workshop, you'll have written a story! Just click on the WotF Homepage to find it!

Shockhawk has the right idea about reading the latest volumes. They show you what type of stories the judges like.

Best of success!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Learn the Secrets of a Howling Good Plot! https://bit.ly/37CYwpZ

SimonP

Postby SimonP » Thu May 28, 2020 11:59 am

Hey guys :)

Long-time lurker on here, finally coming out of the shadows. Briefly, I'm a high school student (graduating this year!), and, like many of you, has had my heart captured by fantasy ever since I can remember-- the sort of kid who dreamed knights and dragons when I should've been doing homework and read books under the desk during class. When I was 11, I decided that it was time to let free the stories that had been bubbling up inside me, and so I set my sights on the ambitious goal of writing a novel, thinking, with the logic only an 11 year old is capable of, that it would be easy. I managed to churn out 50k words of nonsense before I ran out of steam and was struck by reality.

Since then, I took a break from writing but have returned with a stronger desire than ever to improve my craft. Over the past couple of years, I've entered the contest a fair amount of times and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I'm looking forward to learning and interacting with all of you amazing people!

Cheers,
Simon
R, R, HM, HM, SHM, SHM, HM

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu May 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi Simon,

That's quite the introduction! You've subbed five times before graduating HS? Dang. I like your record, too. Keep getting better!

I spent my final year of HS rewriting D&D's rules to my liking. The character sheets were Boss. I had about 30 abilities listed and anyone could be anything, but with certain race restrictions. Everything was d100 based and points were assigned by the player upon level ups. But what made the game the most fun was the critical successes and failures. An 88 was a perfect execution, a 77 was an opposite. So let's say someone wanted to juggle (not on the sheet, but just for the heck of it) and they rolled a 77, well as DM I'd have to come up with some crazy scenario where the balls ricocheted off the barkeep, broke some glasses, and pissed off everyone in the tavern. Fight or flight? I would ask the player... It kept things lively. I swear we spent more time in towns goofing off than fighting creatures.

Curious: Who have you found to critique your stories? I would have found no one back in my time, but I didn't have the Internet. Wondering what you've done for crits and interactions.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu May 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Welcome aboard, SimonP!

Glad you are using your youth to good purpose! And keep believing--I wrote my first hard SF story when I was fifteen, and sold it to Science World. My first pro sale was to a national magazine with a circulation of 500,000 per issue. That sale is going to be hard for me to beat, and I did it as a kid!

You'll find plenty of dedicated writers here, and some of them are young--and young at heart--like you!

Have fun!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.

SimonP

Postby SimonP » Thu May 28, 2020 1:10 pm

Hey Dustin,

I've actually never played D&D (shameful, I know, just had no one around that played), but that sounds so awesome haha. You've gotta teach me.

As far as the critique, that's actually been the hardest thing for me to overcome in my journey as a writer. I mentioned that I took a long break from writing years ago, and that was because I felt like I was just trudging up a sheer cliff alone. I only had my own motivation to rely on and the books I was reading for inspiration, since no one around me was into writing/fantasy and my parents pretty much told me to quit and that it was impossible for me to become a successful writer. It was a while before that old passion finally reignited itself.

So until now, I've basically never edited or revised a single story of mine. Pretty much just whipped up whatever I could and hoped it was decent haha. I know that's definitely the biggest thing holding me back from improving, so I'm stoked to finally be in an environment where I can learn from other aspiring writers!

SimonP

Postby SimonP » Thu May 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Thanks Wulf! I remember reading you post about that. Crazy impressive. If I ever manage to get a story published, I think I'll lose my mind!

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Thu May 28, 2020 1:25 pm

Welcome aboard Simon! I'm young, like you; although your career is way more impressive than mine. You got a SHM before leaving high school? Not bad, I must say, not bad. Keep on submitting and it's probably only a matter of time before you win. Hopefully, this forum is just what you need. Anyway, glad to see someone around my age her. Good luck!
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
V. 37: R, R, R, ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu May 28, 2020 1:51 pm

SimonP wrote:Thanks Wulf! I remember reading you post about that. Crazy impressive. If I ever manage to get a story published, I think I'll lose my mind!

You will, SimonP. You got a Silver HM while still in high school! I hope you realize that means you were in the top 50 or 60 writers out of thousands submitting from around the world that quarter. Many in that upper tier already have a pro sale or two under their belt. You hit very close to the bullseye. And if you did it once, you can do it again.

So it's not *if* I ever manage to get published, it's *when*. Don't forget that.

Belief determines reality.

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu May 28, 2020 2:11 pm

SimonP wrote:Hey Dustin,

I've actually never played D&D (shameful, I know, just had no one around that played), but that sounds so awesome haha. You've gotta teach me.

So until now, I've basically never edited or revised a single story of mine. Pretty much just whipped up whatever I could and hoped it was decent haha. I know that's definitely the biggest thing holding me back from improving, so I'm stoked to finally be in an environment where I can learn from other aspiring writers!

I don't actually know how to play D&D. wotf022 I learned enough to know I both loved it and hated it. Concept vs execution. It's why I made my own.

If you have a Q3 story brewing you're welcome to send it my way. Selfishly, I want to be able to say I helped a high schooler get to the stage. wotf019
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

SimonP

Postby SimonP » Thu May 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Reuben wrote:Welcome aboard Simon! I'm young, like you; although your career is way more impressive than mine. You got a SHM before leaving high school? Not bad, I must say, not bad. Keep on submitting and it's probably only a matter of time before you win. Hopefully, this forum is just what you need. Anyway, glad to see someone around my age her. Good luck!

Thanks Reuben, but hey man, don't think like that! Writing is a process and we all do it because we love it, after all. There's no comparison. You've already done more than most people by having the courage and taking the time to put your stories to paper. That's something to be proud of, for sure.

SimonP

Postby SimonP » Thu May 28, 2020 3:40 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:You will, SimonP. You got a Silver HM while still in high school! I hope you realize that means you were in the top 50 or 60 writers out of thousands submitting from around the world that quarter. Many in that upper tier already have a pro sale or two under their belt. You hit very close to the bullseye. And if you did it once, you can do it again.

So it's not *if* I ever manage to get published, it's *when*. Don't forget that.

Belief determines reality.

All the beast!

Wulf Moon

Thanks so much, Wulf. You have no idea how much this means wotf007

SimonP

Postby SimonP » Thu May 28, 2020 3:41 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:
I don't actually know how to play D&D. wotf022 I learned enough to know I both loved it and hated it. Concept vs execution. It's why I made my own.

If you have a Q3 story brewing you're welcome to send it my way. Selfishly, I want to be able to say I helped a high schooler get to the stage. wotf019

LOL I really appreciate the offer. I've definitely got something brewing and when it's done I'll make sure to swing it over.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Thu May 28, 2020 3:54 pm

Oh, and I'm dating myself here, but I used to play in the D&D nationals at TSR Headquarters in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. My team made it to one round away from the champion round where Gary Gygax presided over it. That was amazing to watch him as DM, the lights down, his face lit up by a candle inside a skull. And we got the Monster Manual in hardcover released that weekend! We'd never need another monster compendium again! wotf001

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 am

Oh wow, everyone’s so knowledgeable and professional at DnD XD We just fumble about until something happens, which has gotten gradually more chaotic now it has moved to video calls
Q3 V37: submitted after some time of staring at an unchanged word doc

Shockhawk

Postby Shockhawk » Sat May 30, 2020 2:01 pm

Welcome Simon!

Quite a resume so far. I only recently decided to start pursuing my lifelong dream of writing (about a year ago - and only discovered WOTF about 4 months ago) so your way braver than me (I'm 38 years old)!! Between 15-18 I was too worried/focused on getting to college and finding the girl of my dreams... then once I found and married her I was way to worried about losing her if I pursued something that didn't make money.

Anyways keep it up and don't let fear derail you. I hope I get to read some of your work!!

Shockhawk
Vol 37 - X, R, R, P

SimonP

Postby SimonP » Sat May 30, 2020 6:35 pm

Thanks Shockhawk! Don't worry, I had my fair share of worrying over college and girls too. Glad it worked out for you in the end haha. Like they always say, you're never too old to start writing! Wishing you the best of success on your new journey :)

oishisushi911

Postby oishisushi911 » Sun May 31, 2020 6:30 am

Wulf Moon wrote:Oh, and I'm dating myself here, but I used to play in the D&D nationals at TSR Headquarters in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. My team made it to one round away from the champion round where Gary Gygax presided over it. That was amazing to watch him as DM, the lights down, his face lit up by a candle inside a skull. And we got the Monster Manual in hardcover released that weekend! We'd never need another monster compendium again! wotf001

I was always DMing or playing DnD with my pals back in the day, but we never tried anything official like that. What an experience that must have been. One round away! And to see Gygax himself DMing? I'm jealous!
R.J.K. Lee
2015-2017: 4 HMs, 5 Rs; 2019-2020: 6 Rs, 1 HM, 1 pending
Goal of 100 rejections in 2020: 89 rejections, 21 pending, 110 total submissions
Keep writing, revising, submitting!

LASelby

Postby LASelby » Sun May 31, 2020 10:35 am

Hello all!

My name is LA Selby. I write under the pen name Audrey McLennan. I have one published short story in an anthology, a novel in edits, and other short stories out seeking work in the world. I've never entered WOTF - this quarter will be my first! Excited!!!

I'm a bit of a jack-of-all trades, working in psychology, government, and law. I've lived on two coasts and in Europe for awhile. I love to travel! I only began seriously writing about six years ago. Since I jumped right in without knowing how to do what I wanted to do, my first efforts were exactly what you'd expect. At this point my feedback is improving, my writing support network is awesome, and I'm just glad to be here.

Thanks to Wulf Moon for telling me about this forum!

LA

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:23 am

Howdy Audrey!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
4x Silver
9x HM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:23 am

LASelby wrote:Hello all!

My name is LA Selby. I write under the pen name Audrey McLennan. I have one published short story in an anthology, a novel in edits, and other short stories out seeking work in the world. I've never entered WOTF - this quarter will be my first! Excited!!!

I'm a bit of a jack-of-all trades, working in psychology, government, and law. I've lived on two coasts and in Europe for awhile. I love to travel! I only began seriously writing about six years ago. Since I jumped right in without knowing how to do what I wanted to do, my first efforts were exactly what you'd expect. At this point my feedback is improving, my writing support network is awesome, and I'm just glad to be here.

Thanks to Wulf Moon for telling me about this forum!

LA

Oh cool! Welcome aboard, La La! And yes, LA Selby gave me permission to call her that. She's from Superstars, folks, and she's a wonderful person. You are most welcome here, La La. Sounds like you have a broad spectrum of careers and a great taste of cultures, which I am sure serves you very well in your writing. You're doing all the right things, including joining the most important writer's group on the internet for developing WotF winners. And winning Writers of the Future has launched many a career. As Martha Sewart says, "It's a good thing."

Since this is your first quarter entering, I recommend you check out my Super Secrets topic (TOC is under post #1). There are a few things unique to this contest that can give you an edge if you know them. And there's some great crit swaps going on in another section on these boards as well. Also, do post in the Q you are entering--you get more support that way.

We look forward to getting to know you better and...

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

SimonP

Postby SimonP » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:33 am

Welcome Audrey!

darynnmark

Postby darynnmark » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi all!

My name is Justin and I've been writing creatively for about as long as I can remember. I've been on and off working on a science fiction novel (and its sequels) for about fifteen years, mixing in some other short works along the way. Since the quarantine started, I've really been taking the craft seriously. I'm planning on entering the contest this quarter.

For my day job I work at the ISS National Laboratory as an engineer helping science experiments from across the US make their way to the International Space Station.

Justin

nreavis

Postby nreavis » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:43 pm

Hi Justin!
HM: 3
Author Page: http://www.reynichols.com

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:03 pm

darynnmark wrote:Hi all!

My name is Justin and I've been writing creatively for about as long as I can remember. I've been on and off working on a science fiction novel (and its sequels) for about fifteen years, mixing in some other short works along the way. Since the quarantine started, I've really been taking the craft seriously. I'm planning on entering the contest this quarter.

For my day job I work at the ISS National Laboratory as an engineer helping science experiments from across the US make their way to the International Space Station.

Justin

Welcome aboard, Justin! Cool job! When you send hard SF stories out to market, I hope you're including the work you do in your cover letter. You're not the first, but it's big for a space engineer to write science fiction.

We'll be looking to you for technical advice! Don't quit your day job! :)

Have fun on the boards. Do post in the quarter topic you are submitting in, and don't forget the critique swap area. Lots of great help here!

Cheers!

Wulf Moon
Forum Moderator

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”