WOTF Free Online Course

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Corbin Maxwell

WOTF Free Online Course

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Sun May 03, 2020 3:39 pm

Canvassing the forumites for thoughts on this course, and perhaps to start an ongoing discussion concerning content and output if one has not already been initiated.

Thank you.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
SHM x 3
HM x 10

nreavis

Re: WOTF Free Online Course

Postby nreavis » Sun May 03, 2020 9:03 pm

I just completed this course last week, and managed to pull a story out of it that I’m really happy with and I have put for review in my writer’s group so I can send it in for Q3.

I learned so much and now have a more solid grasp on how write more professionally and with greater quality and clarity.

Definitely recommend anyone who hasn’t taken the course to go ahead and do so, you won’t be disappointed :)
HM: 3
R: 1
Author Page: http://www.reynichols.com

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Sun May 03, 2020 10:43 pm

nreavis wrote:I just completed this course last week, and managed to pull a story out of it that I’m really happy with and I have put for review in my writer’s group so I can send it in for Q3.

I learned so much and now have a more solid grasp on how write more professionally and with greater quality and clarity.

Definitely recommend anyone who hasn’t taken the course to go ahead and do so, you won’t be disappointed :)

That's awesome. I'll be rooting for you to win with it.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
SHM x 3
HM x 10

pdblake

Postby pdblake » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:57 am

Just finished this a week or so ago (I think, I'm losing track of time these days). I got a good story out of it and really took to the story idea process, so much so that stories keep popping into my head now (it could also be lockdown driving me mad and I'm actually just hearing voices).

A lot of it is reading articles and watching videos, but all are packed with good information. I particularly found Orson Scott Card to be very easy to listen to. The practicals between the articles and videos all lend themselves to writing a good story by the end.

The story ideas video with OSC is very useful, as is the accompanying article by L Ron Hubbard about the hat (read it, you'll get it).

The only bit I didn't really get was the last couple of articles on art. I really didn't get what that was about. Possibly just me being thick though.

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:18 am

pdblake wrote:Just finished this a week or so ago (I think, I'm losing track of time these days). I got a good story out of it and really took to the story idea process, so much so that stories keep popping into my head now (it could also be lockdown driving me mad and I'm actually just hearing voices).

A lot of it is reading articles and watching videos, but all are packed with good information. I particularly found Orson Scott Card to be very easy to listen to. The practicals between the articles and videos all lend themselves to writing a good story by the end.

The story ideas video with OSC is very useful, as is the accompanying article by L Ron Hubbard about the hat (read it, you'll get it).

The only bit I didn't really get was the last couple of articles on art. I really didn't get what that was about. Possibly just me being thick though.

Hubbard's 'great writing is art' article was my favorite. Also the article on story generation, where he was being interviewed by someone. The latter is also published in Volume 36. I know several enjoyed the article on art, including myself, and I wrote something about it in my Super Secrets' topic. Perhaps others would like to weigh in on these articles and what they learned from them, with a view to helping others.
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Tangent 2020 Recommended: "Muzik Man" https://amzn.to/313KGJf

GlibWizard

Postby GlibWizard » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:05 am

The essay that hit me hardest was the one on suspense. The example given of how not to do it, surprises that feel final, is something that I found in my writing. David Farland's writing tip to "Be Double Minded" hit my email around the same time. I made a revision pass with the goal of having multiple possibilities open and I think it made a stronger story.
C. A. Barrett
V.36 Q2: HM V.37 Q3: Finalist, Q4: HM V.38 - committed to four submissions!

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”