HM and SHM Crit Exchange?

For confidential exchange of story critiques
LibrarianBarbarian

HM and SHM Crit Exchange?

Postby LibrarianBarbarian » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi everyone. There is an older thread about this, but nobody has responded in over a year.

I would like to see if anyone who had gotten HM or SHM recently would be interested in exchanging crits in order to improve our stories for re-submission to WotF or for other markets. I think I know what my fatal error was, as I see that I broke a couple of 'the rules' in my plotline. Sadly, elements I consider vitally integral to the plot may exclude it from rising higher in this contest, but I would like to be sure...

Earning HM or SHM tells us our stories must have some real merit already, in the form in which we submitted them. Therefore, I am nervous about undertaking revisions without outside input. The old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" aphorism comes to mind. I want to improve my story without damaging its integrity, or the aspects that earned it SHM.

If you feel the same way about your HM or SHM story, would you like to exchange crits?
Q2 Volume 37 - SHM

RSchibler

Re: HM and SHM Crit Exchange?

Postby RSchibler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:09 pm

I’m happy to do a crit!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in A Dying Planet, Flame Tree Publishing and Hold Your Fire, WordFire Press
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

LibrarianBarbarian

Postby LibrarianBarbarian » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi there RSchibler! And CONGRATULATIONS on your Semi-Finalist Award!!!
You gave me a crit for an earlier version of this story. I think the advice you gave me enabled me to attain a higher rating than I ever could have managed without it. If you would not mind re-reading it in its current form, I can send it along to you.
Q2 Volume 37 - SHM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:14 pm

LibrarianBarbarian wrote:Hi everyone. There is an older thread about this, but nobody has responded in over a year.

I would like to see if anyone who had gotten HM or SHM recently would be interested in exchanging crits in order to improve our stories for re-submission to WotF or for other markets. I think I know what my fatal error was, as I see that I broke a couple of 'the rules' in my plotline. Sadly, elements I consider vitally integral to the plot may exclude it from rising higher in this contest, but I would like to be sure...

Earning HM or SHM tells us our stories must have some real merit already, in the form in which we submitted them. Therefore, I am nervous about undertaking revisions without outside input. The old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" aphorism comes to mind. I want to improve my story without damaging its integrity, or the aspects that earned it SHM.

If you feel the same way about your HM or SHM story, would you like to exchange crits?

You are wise to think like this, LB. Tread carefully, but it's worth trying to find the reason it did not stay in the prospective finalist pile.

You were there.

Well done!

Best,

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Wulf Master Class SOLD OUT! Two new ones filling! https://bit.ly/2ZWkuyu

LibrarianBarbarian

Postby LibrarianBarbarian » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:17 pm

Thank you, Wulf! I think I owe you a BIG thank you, as I pilfered many secrets from your overflowing vaults!
Q2 Volume 37 - SHM

mrshaazar

Postby mrshaazar » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:38 pm

I'm new to the forum, but I would be happy to exchange crits. I'm floundering a little myself with how to continue to improving, so I ended up here looking for advice. All I can offer is my first impressions and opinions which could hopefully be of some use.

If anyone else is interested in swapping, PM me. The story I'm looking for feedback on is fantasy and on the longer side, ~15,000 words
1 x Silver
3 x HM
10 x R

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:07 pm

I've gotten busier and get more crit requests than I used to, so for longer stories (10k+) I'll give you my thoughts on the first 5k words. If the story compels me to read on, I'll do more, but I can only promise the first 5k. If that works for you, send me a PM.
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in A Dying Planet, Flame Tree Publishing and Hold Your Fire, WordFire Press
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:26 am

This sounds a good idea to me - I'd love to swap if you're looking for another reader (I'll PM you). I have a 7,500-word story that just received HM. I broke one of my main writing rules and it has something else I consider to be a considerable flaw in my efforts to winning WotF. I wonder if the story could have reached a higher level otherwise. I'm not likely to submit it to WotF again, but I will send it to other markets.
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:21 am

LibrarianBarbarian wrote:Hi everyone. There is an older thread about this, but nobody has responded in over a year.

I hain't got a silver, or a regular HM nither. But if you want I'm willing to take a look at your silver. I'll send you my email in case you're interested. wotf008
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
One reject, one pending.

aedlrjqaewoif

Postby aedlrjqaewoif » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:37 am

LibrarianBarbarian wrote:I want to improve my story without damaging its integrity, or the aspects that earned it SHM.

If you would like another set of eyes, I'll be happy to take a look. My turnaround time is pretty quick.

As for an exchange, I tend to decide which story I'm going to submit on the first day of the deadline month. If you're busy or unavailable around that time, it's cool as I'm still willing to read yours to see if anything stick out.

--AE
AE for short
Running count: R: 4 | HM: 14 | SHM: 2
37q1 -- Romantic SF/Crime -- SHM
37q2 -- Military SF -- HM
37q3 -- < Submission pending >

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:51 pm

I like this idea. I'd be happy to participate. Wulf is right about not getting too obsessed with tweaking your old works. I have this problem. But I agree that finding out why you didn't quite get there can be an important learning tool

So, I'd be happy to send out my SHM for a crit and to give same in return.
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, ?

BlackInk

Postby BlackInk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:52 am

chuckt wrote:I like this idea. I'd be happy to participate. Wulf is right about not getting too obsessed with tweaking your old works. I have this problem. But I agree that finding out why you didn't quite get there can be an important learning tool

So, I'd be happy to send out my SHM for a crit and to give same in return.

I'd love to read your SHM! I got an HM but changed it drastically since, so don't need an exchange.

czing

Postby czing » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:20 am

I have a really short SHM from Q2 that I would like to exchange with someone if anyone is still looking to exchange.
v36 Q1, Q3 - HM; Q4 - R
v37 Q1 - R; Q2 - SHM

Return to “Story Critique Exchange”