Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Traditional Publishing, Independent Publishing, Hybrid, Old Model, New Model, Etc.
TimE

Re: Almost Success - The "Mixed Feelings" Thread

Postby TimE » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:37 am

chuckt wrote:A personal rejection from Analog! "suggest you try us again" and "like your style of writing." (swoon) Analog and Asimov's are at the tippy-top of my most-wanted list. A sale would have been great but I'm on cloud nine this morning.

Seems odd to congratulate someone on a rejection - but as rejections go, that's pretty good. Well done, you must be getting close.
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:14 pm

chuckt wrote:A personal rejection from Analog! "suggest you try us again" and "like your style of writing." (swoon) Analog and Asimov's are at the tippy-top of my most-wanted list. A sale would have been great but I'm on cloud nine this morning.

That's a great personal, Chuck. It's a good day anytime an editor says "like your style of writing." They only say it when they mean it, and they say it to very few.

Well done!
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Wulf Master Class SOLD OUT! Two new ones filling! https://bit.ly/2ZWkuyu

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:28 am

Thanks Wulf and Tim.
36: R, R, R, SHM
37: R, HM, ?

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:55 am

Awesomeness. wotf007 wotf010 Those are good, solid magazines to aim for--and it sounds like you're close to hitting that target! Keep at it, good sir. wotf009
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:30 pm

I second everyone else! I've heard these are rare.

You could look at it a different way, and be disappointed about the sale; but I don't think so. It's only logical that after forms come personals; and after personals sales. wotf007

The guys who skip the intermediate steps are cheating. Probably. wotf011 Besides, they always have to wonder their sale was just a fluke.

So congrats!
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
One reject, one pending.

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:16 am

Thanks guys.

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:37 am

Anyone submitted to Asimov's recently? I submitted a week ago and haven't yet been rejected. Is this normal?
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
One reject, one pending.

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:42 am

They're showing as a little behind on the Grinder, yeah. A lot of places take a break in July and August, I've noticed. Usually that is for peak conference season, but I'd guess this year people are just flat burnt out. A lot of markets have been slower than usual. Good luck!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, P, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
Upon A Once Time, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:06 am

Reuben wrote:Anyone submitted to Asimov's recently? I submitted a week ago and haven't yet been rejected. Is this normal?

I've had a story with them two or three weeks, but it hasn't been read yet. (Still shows as 'Received' in their queue.) I think they're just moving slowly.
If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it. ~ H.G. Wells

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, SHM, ?, ?

Reuben

Postby Reuben » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:15 pm

RSchibler wrote:They're showing as a little behind on the Grinder, yeah. A lot of places take a break in July and August, I've noticed. Usually that is for peak conference season, but I'd guess this year people are just flat burnt out. A lot of markets have been slower than usual. Good luck!

disgruntledpeony wrote:I've had a story with them two or three weeks, but it hasn't been read yet. (Still shows as 'Received' in their queue.) I think they're just moving slowly.

Thanks! Guess I won't get my hopes up. : )
One reject, one pending.

WillShadbolt

Postby WillShadbolt » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:34 am

Just heard back from Deep Magic—I made their second round. They also provided feedback, and I feel like the issues they mentioned can easily be fixed with a few additional lines.

And honestly—I’m incredibly happy! This was a story I had seriously considered retiring. I thought there were serious issues with the ending, to the point where I figured the only way I could fix it would be with a major rewrite, so hearing that it made the second round at a pro publication has me really excited. Definitely won’t be retiring this version of the story just yet.
R, HM, R, Pending

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:48 am

WillShadbolt wrote:Just heard back from Deep Magic—I made their second round. They also provided feedback, and I feel like the issues they mentioned can easily be fixed with a few additional lines.

And honestly—I’m incredibly happy! This was a story I had seriously considered retiring. I thought there were serious issues with the ending, to the point where I figured the only way I could fix it would be with a major rewrite, so hearing that it made the second round at a pro publication has me really excited. Definitely won’t be retiring this version of the story just yet.

That's really good to make it that far.

Deep Magic is at the top of my list of preferred publications wit Mag of F&SF.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM (published @ Sci-fi Lampoon)
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – pending
(2020) V37 Q4 – ?

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:01 pm

WillShadbolt wrote:Just heard back from Deep Magic—I made their second round. They also provided feedback, and I feel like the issues they mentioned can easily be fixed with a few additional lines.

Glad you heard back and got some constructive points. Congrats!
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:53 pm

Cool. Me too. Got a PR on my 200-day story a couple of days ago. It had been there long enough that I dared to hope for better but Deep Magic, per Wulf,is a really hard sale. My story is a squeaky clean YA story. I've sent it to all the pro markets that like that kind of thing. Not sure what to do with it next. Maybe WotF, although I'm going with a fresh story this quarter.

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:55 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
Reuben wrote:Anyone submitted to Asimov's recently? I submitted a week ago and haven't yet been rejected. Is this normal?

I've had a story with them two or three weeks, but it hasn't been read yet. (Still shows as 'Received' in their queue.) I think they're just moving slowly.

Oof. They are tough. I've only gotten form rejections from them.

BlackInk

Postby BlackInk » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:44 pm

I got my first ever personal rejection! From Beneath the Ceaseless Skies: "...While I loved the way the language of the piece itself ..."
So happy!!!! Now to do better next time.
Q4 V.36: HM
Q3 V.37: TBD
Q4 V.37: TBD

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Congratulations! That’s such a beautiful feeling!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, SF, P, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

Stories in:
A Dying Planet, 2020
Hold Your Fire, 2021
Upon A Once Time, 2021
2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:18 pm

BlackInk wrote:I got my first ever personal rejection! From Beneath the Ceaseless Skies: "...While I loved the way the language of the piece itself ..."
So happy!!!! Now to do better next time.

Nice work, BlackInk. You are on the path. Editors do not have time to write personal rejections. When they do so, and they are specific like that, they are trying to help you because they believe you have potential. It's also an invite to submit again. Congratulations!

C.A. Tedeschi

Postby C.A. Tedeschi » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:50 am

I also got a personalized rejection from Beneath Ceaseless Skies...

"Although I found the worldbuilding in this piece intriguing, overall I felt the narrative voice read as a bit more distant from Hondo's internality than we subjectively prefer."

I'm assuming the word subjective means it was more of a preference issue.

Writing Theory seems in itself a conundrum. Perhaps it is beyond my ability to rationalize through conscious thinking, and better left to the subconscious to sort out in the act of writing, (If that makes any sense please let me know)...

I did tweak a few things to make the ending sharper. None of the changes had to do with narrative voice. It was submitted and published in Swords and Sorcery Magazine.

https://www.swordsandsorcerymagazine.co ... honor.html

I was more thrilled i think that she mentioned my main character, Hondo, by name, more than anything else. This was my first and (as of yet) only submission to the WotF contest. It received an HM... Working on a new unrelated story now.

I am open to feedback on the issue...

i thank you for your time.....
"You've come a long way to be where you are right now, might as well relax. Life ain't a destination, it's not even a journey. It's an arrival." C.A. Tedeschi

BlackInk

Postby BlackInk » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:54 am

Thank you, Wulf! I will keep up the work.

Great about your personal rejection from BCS, Tedeschi! I was so impressed they wrote back with specific critiques in my story too.

Congrats on your story being published in Swords and Sorcery! If I have time later today or this week, I'll give your story a read and post back here about narrative voice.

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Beneath Ceaseless Skies usually give personal rejections, and I love them for taking that time. It's great they pick out positives as well as offering suggestions. Here's mine from a week or so ago (redacted bits as this is my backup story for WotF, should I not finish my favoured story in time):

"I enjoyed the vivid descriptions of the [redacted] in the opening, and the narrative voice had a subjective quality which made me feel sympathetic towards and intrigued by the narrator. I liked the resolution offered in the end when the narrator was [redacted], but I felt the story could have been longer. I would have liked to experience more of the narrator's life so that I could fully appreciate their character development and enjoy more 'on-screen' interaction between characters."

It was the longest I've had a story at BCS (just over 2 weeks), so I don't know if it was my first to make it through the slush pile or if they're a bit slower than my past experiences at the moment.
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

C.A. Tedeschi

Postby C.A. Tedeschi » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:36 pm

BlackInk wrote:Great about your personal rejection from BCS, Tedeschi! I was so impressed they wrote back with specific critiques in my story too.

Congrats on your story being published in Swords and Sorcery! If I have time later today or this week, I'll give your story a read and post back here about narrative voice.

Thank you BlackInk. It is great to see it on the S&S Magazine website. That would be so awesome, perhaps others may benefit from the insight as well.. I genuinely seek to understand the subtleties. That is where the magic happens.

Yes, it is great to get personalized feedback from a venue like BCS.

We had a power outage two days ago and it fried my old 2006 Mac. I lost half my story. The one I was working on for Q4. 18 days worth of hard trudging. I know I should've backed it up. I was on such a roll I didn't think of it. We finally broke down and bought a new computer though. So I guess I ought to look on the bright side. I must say, I have never experienced such a sinking feeling as that particular realization. Couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, felt nauseas. I wasn't sure if I would make another attempt on Q4; but now I've resolved to try. That's all I can do.

I'll be available to critique again after the Sept. 30th deadline, if anyone wants me to read their stuff, give a critique, or specific feedback.

Thank you for your time..... …. … .. .. . . .
"You've come a long way to be where you are right now, might as well relax. Life ain't a destination, it's not even a journey. It's an arrival." C.A. Tedeschi

BlackInk

Postby BlackInk » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:49 am

C.A. Tedeschi wrote:
Thank you BlackInk. It is great to see it on the S&S Magazine website. That would be so awesome, perhaps others may benefit from the insight as well.. I genuinely seek to understand the subtleties. That is where the magic happens.

Yes, it is great to get personalized feedback from a venue like BCS.

We had a power outage two days ago and it fried my old 2006 Mac. I lost half my story. The one I was working on for Q4. 18 days worth of hard trudging. I know I should've backed it up. I was on such a roll I didn't think of it. We finally broke down and bought a new computer though. So I guess I ought to look on the bright side. I must say, I have never experienced such a sinking feeling as that particular realization. Couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, felt nauseas. I wasn't sure if I would make another attempt on Q4; but now I've resolved to try. That's all I can do.

I'll be available to critique again after the Sept. 30th deadline, if anyone wants me to read their stuff, give a critique, or specific feedback.

Thank you for your time..... …. … .. .. . . .

*Quickly backs up Q4 story*

That is horrible about the power outage. I've been through it before, usually a water spill on my end. It's horrible. The good news is, if you're using the same idea for your rewrite you can consider it like a 2nd draft? I hope you stick with the attempt now that you won't lose it anymore. And if anything else, consider it part of your 1,000,000 bad words you need to get out? Hugs, it's hard to try to spin a silver lining on it.

I did read your story. So I'm not quite sure what the editor meant. Maybe she wanted it to be more 3rd person limited? Given that you have this part in the your story:

The group climbed the hill. The humans turned to watch Hondo drive the wagon back to the city. Little One lifted his head toward the sun. Tears streamed down his face, even as he smiled.

“You know,” Baluga said, “he’s gonna’ drive that wagon straight through the gates, right to the center for everyone to see.”

“Yes. I know,” Little One said. “That’s my Father.”

Or maybe parts where you do things like this in your exposition:
Years ago he had trained one of the assassin sect, a Kwee-Kerchak named Utan Dango. The bastard son of a Chieftain. He could not be gifted any of his sire’s holdings without making enemies of the chief’s legitimate sons. In a twist of fate, Red-Dog was born with the reddish hair of old noble blood. There were so few Skree born red the others were jealous, and extremely wary of him.

Maybe if you had more of Hondo's thoughts and reflections. Why does he want Barter Town? How does he feel after his long trek that the oracle was a waste, telling him it exists so long as people will it to exist. Stuff like that.

You said you were open to feedback so here are some of my reflections on it. Take it all with a grain of salt. You've a publication under your belt and I'm not even sure I have a belt.

For me, parts of the story were unnecessarily confusing. Too many names sometimes and other times not enough. For instance, there is Utan Dango and he's also called Red-Dog. There is Hondo's son and also he's referred to as the Little One. Abalu and mahnu both seem to be the same (abalu are mahnu that have been made slaves). Then there are the skree and ranks within them like the Kwee-Kerchak. For me, it was too much for such a short story. Also it starts off with Hondo climbing up a mountain to see an oracle, seemingly the promise, but then the rest of the story has very little to do with the search of that prophecy. There is still a connection but it's thin and the whole story would be the same without that beginning. The idea that Barter Town represents, as I understood it a place where mahnu and skree could live together in harmony, is a nobel one but for me it fell flat. I understand in the end he lets himself be captured so he can die a warrior but why did he have to go to the arena at all? Why let himself be captured since he mentioned to Utan Dongo :
“They’ll hunt you down,” Utan Dango said. “I have the mark of noble blood.”

“They will see that no blade has touched you.” Hondo flexed. Veins rose under his green-tinted skin as the muscles bulged.
Those were my thoughts. Thank you for sharing the story. I personally enjoy characters that value honor to a fault.

C.A. Tedeschi

Postby C.A. Tedeschi » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:22 pm

Thanks Blackink ! I'm glad you read it. 'Hondo's Honor' does indeed have a lot of World Building for under 5,000 words. I feel perhaps the story could have been longer, some of the criticism may be why it didn't get further on in the runnings. Objective insight is invaluable. And i thank you sincerely.

They say not to respond to a critique except for the gratitude. So I won't answer your questions here. If you do want to discuss it further PM me. I'd be happy to chat about it, or anything else related to the craft.

Now back to Q4. This one is not so dark. And its only got one language--English. ; )

oishisushi911

Postby oishisushi911 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:59 pm

Just to add to what Alex said, there are a few publications that always take the time to give constructive feedback. Beneath Ceaseless Skies is a good one to submit to because of that. Cast of Wonders is another one. And there's also Cosmic Roots (as long as you ask for feedback in your cover letter, you will get it from them). I'm trying to always include those three in my submission rounds to get feedback directly from the first readers and/or editors, and revise with that in mind, or at least write new stories with the comments in mind as possible weak areas.
R.J.K. Lee
2015-2017: 4 HMs, 5 Rs; 2019-2020: 6 Rs, 2 pending
Progress on Goal of 100 rejections in 2020: 72 rejections, 23 pending, 95 total submissions
Keep writing, revising, submitting! Don't break the circle!

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:23 am

I woke this morning to a personal rejection from Black Pedal Publishing. The editor said he liked it, but he's already filled his quota for that word count, feel free to send similar stories with higher wordcount. ...

... I dont have anything else now that fits their genre and wordcount and im juggling too many projects as it is. But it was still a good motivating feeling to know he liked it.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM (published @ Sci-fi Lampoon)
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – pending
(2020) V37 Q4 – ?

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:12 am

I was getting a bit frustrated by my number of 'almost made it' rejections, but Charlie's highest tier rejection from F&SF with a bit of extra feedback was quite exciting!

"Thank you for giving me a chance to read "[redacted]." Unfortunately, this story didn't win me over -- in part, I thought the ideas needed more room to develop -- and I'm going to pass on it for Fantasy & Science Fiction. But I wish you best of luck finding the right market for it and hope that you'll keep us in mind in the future."

BCS thought this story could be longer too.
35: - R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM HM ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.

Return to “Publishing: The Business Of”